The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doug's Journal of Shaving Happiness v2.0

Great read and shave Doug!

I too stayed up too late last night and then to top it off didn't sleep well either.

Journal Entry #5

Pre: Hot shower/splash of cool water/Shave Secret oil
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock Sharpedge (yellow) (1)
Brush: Sorrentino Custom Tuxedo
Soap/Cream: Arko
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
AS 2: Nivea Sensitive Post-shave Balm
AS 3: RazoRock Mr. Pink
Fragrance: none

Overview
It is a snowy day here in my area of the Mile High City, but at least it isn't sticking to the ground. Here in Colorado we can get snow all the way through June, so this is not an unusual thing; I am just done with cold and snow. Today's shave, however, was one of my best shaves, Arko or otherwise, in a long time.

Shave Quality
I broke my two-pass rule today and went for three. I managed to finish without irritating myself noticeably more than on any other day and am just shy of BBS for it. The blade, razor, and soap all worked together to glide over my face with little effort. This was one of my best shaves this month, and perhaps this year so far.

Gear
I decided to treat my Arko like Modern Williams today and added a fair bit more water than usual. It definitely helped. The soap doesn't have much residual slickness, or skin conditioning, even with the extra water. But the extra water did help with the lather slickness. So, as long as I stayed away from water only strokes, I was fine.
The Gillette blade performed better than I remember the yellows working. I don't remember if I ever tried this blade in one of my Piccolos before. I am happy with the performance. If I didn't already have over 1000 other blades I might pick some up.
The Fatip Piccolo is my number two razor (only slightly behind the Merkur 34c). Both of mine have the newer head. They are efficient, smooth, and I have yet to find a blade that doesn't work well in them. This is one of those razors that every wet shaver should try at least once. And, at ~$20 US there is little reason to not pick one up.

Other Thoughts
During my hiatus from shaving forums I stopped paying attention to technique and improving my shaving skills. After all, what was the point if I wasn't participating in a community? As long as I wasn't getting much irritation and wasn't nicking myself, I was all good. It occurred to me this morning, as I was getting a better shave than I have had in a while, that community support is an important part of this hobby. You guys remind me not only that I can focus and improve, but also that I should focus and improve. So, I am feeling thankful today that the Owners and Legacy members made this forum happen.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you all have a great day.

All caught up, Doug. Great shaves, and you can never go wrong with a Genco straight. I've had a Fatip Piccolo in the cart at least three times, but have never managed to pull the trigger lol.

Smattayu said:
All caught up, Doug. Great shaves, and you can never go wrong with a Genco straight. I've had a Fatip Piccolo in the cart at least three times, but have never managed to pull the trigger lol.

If you are interested, I will loan you one of mine for a test drive.

Good read Doug. And I agree the Piccolo open comb is a good razor. I get nice shaves from mine also. They are aggressive though.

I think the best part about wet shaving is the community feel. Crazy that it happens on the internet of all places, lol. My shaves, lather quality, and smaller wallet are all thanks to shaving forums lol. But its the friendships that keep me coming back.

We also get snow here technically possible through June. The storm that is hitting you only gave us rain thankfully.

See focusing and improving at the same time is just like walking and chewing gum at the same time!
1f609.png

Very nice read Doug and I will send up some of our 100 temps to you, LOL

Journal Entry #6

Pre: Hot shower/splash of cool water/Shave Secret oil
Razor: Fatip Piccolo
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock Sharpedge (yellow) (2)
Brush: Vie-Long 12705 Horse Hair
Soap/Cream: AOS Sandalwood tallow formula
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel
AS 2: Nivea Sensitive Post-shave Balm
AS 3: Mr. Fine Santal Absolut
Fragrance: none

Overview
Sometimes you get a really good shave despite your best efforts.

Shave Quality
Today's lather was too wet. I soaked the Vie-Long, which may have been a mistake, during my shower. Loading the AOS went well, but I didn't load quite as hard as I normally do. (I try to be more gentle with my natural hair brushes than I am with my synthetics.) When it came time to build the lather in my bowl, I added as much water as I normally would with a synthetic. The brush also released water, so I ended up with a wet and sloppy lather. It lacked cushion, but made up for it with glide. As I was shaving it seemed to me that it was the kind of lather that would have been great for a straight or shavette. I could really feel the blade, but it practically skated across my face. I ended up BBS- in two passes. Not bad for a lather that could have been a disaster.

Gear

The Fatip Piccolo is the MVP. It was very well behaved today.
Mr. Fine's Santal Absolut was a great call as always. I love the sandalwood and menthol combination. It may be even better than the AOS Sandalwood that it attempted to clone.

Other Thoughts
I really need to start getting to bed before midnight. Better yet, before eleven PM.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I love reading all your comments, even if I don't respond. I hope you all have a great day.

All caught up, Doug. I have to agree with you about Tony Miller strops being excellent. I've had several of his and still have two. Now regarding Arko.....guess we'll just have to agree to disagree - LOL.

Nice shave today Doug, despite your efforts to the contrary. I too love Santal Absolut from Fine...great scent, A/S and soap!

dkeester said:
I really need to start getting to bed before midnight. Better yet, before eleven PM.

I know the feeling!

Back