The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Doug's Journal of Shaving Happiness v2.0

Journal Entry #903

Today's Shave - 02/11/2023
Pre:
Hot shower/splash of cool water
Razor: Mergress XL @1
Blade: Gillette Platinum (11)
Bowl: none
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Rainbow Handle, Brown Hair Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (11)
AS 1: Thayer's Rose Petal Facial Toner
AS 2: Aqua Velva 5-in-1 Sensitive ASB
AS 3: Davidoff Cool Water ASB
Fragrance: Davidoff Cool Water EdT

Overview
Williams doesn't have the cushion, but it does have the slickness

Shave Stuff
Shaves are going great.

Other Stuff
The week finished okay. Talked with the CTO about stuff at work. I have some more perspective now. It was still a rough week, but it ended well enough.

So many games and not enough time to read/play them all. I am going to be playing a ton of different RPGs this year. Should be lots of fun.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Journal Entry #904

Today's Shave - 02/28/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (28)
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (28)
AS 3: Lucky Tiger AS & Facial Tonic
Fragrance: Zino Davidoff EdT by Davidoff

Overview
Still getting fantastic shaves and life is fine.

Shave Stuff
The Williams is still giving me great shaves. It occasionally dries out a bit on my face, but that doesn't stop me from getting great results. Modern Williams is terrific stuff. However, I am looking forward to getting back to my usual 3017ing.

Other Stuff
Life goes on... Not much of interest to report...

I am trying to read more. I have acquired a few new fantasy novels and am trying to get a chapter read every night. I have quite a backlog of books to get through and I am trying to push myself to get through them. It is quite the enjoyable task, however, the games on my phone and web browsing sometimes get in the way of me making progress on my reading project.

I also have been neglecting my knitting and crochet projects for the bulk of the previous year. I need to get a few of those finished as well.

Thank you for reading and commenting on my journal. I hope you have a great day and stellar shaves, Cadre.

Journal Entry #905

Today's Shave - 03/09/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (37)
Soap/Cream:
Modern Williams Mug (37)
Fragrance:
Scuderia Ferrari Forte

Overview
Everything is fine.

Shave Stuff
The blade is doing well. It is to the smooth, but efficient stage. The shaves are great. The Williams puck is still going strong.

Other Stuff
We are currently rewatching Person of Interest. It is still a fantastic show.

Other than that there isn't much to report.

Journal Entry #906

Today's Shave - 04/04/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (56)
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (56)
Fragrance: Wit and West Brumaire Woods EdP

Overview
Everything is awesome. Everything is cool when you are part of a team...

Shave Stuff
Nothing to complain about here except that the shaves are always the same. Normally I would have killed this soap quickly and moved on, but since I am doing the Minimalist Challenge it is going to be a while before I can finish off this soap puck. At first I wasn't sure it would make it to 100 shaves. Now I am not sure when I will be able to get back to killing my soap stash. Trying to make a soap last can definitely change your perspective.

Other Stuff
We finished Person of Interest and are now rewatching Scrubs which is my most favorite sitcom ever. It is still fabulous.

I am also taking an online class to improve my professional skills. I plan to take several more classes this year. So far, I am enjoying learning new things. It is also nice that is should help my career.

I really like the company that I am working for. The people are good and the company mission is great. We have the potential to help lots of people with ESKD (End Stage Kidney Disease). I hope that I can stay here for a few more years.

I really like the company that I am working for. The people are good and the company mission is great. We have the potential to help lots of people with ESKD (End Stage Kidney Disease). I hope that I can stay here for a few more years.
That is so excellent, Doug. (y)
now rewatching Scrubs which is my most favorite sitcom ever. It is still fabulous.
My wife and I loved that show! We knew residents that never missed it (she's a retired RN, too). Her favorite episode of any show ever is the singing Scrubs episode.

Journal Entry #907

Today's Shave - 05/05/2023
Pre:
Blade: Gillette Platinum (78)
Soap/Cream: Modern Williams Mug (78)
Fragrance: Lomani Pour Homme EdT

Overview
It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood...

Shave Stuff
The shaves are getting a bit rougher. I have a touch of irritation on my neck after today's two passes. It could be because I am doing quite a bit of blade buffing now that I am edging towards 80 shaves on this Gillette Platinum. It really helps that my whiskers are light in color and finer in texture. I can probably keep this blade going for quite a while more. But, I think I may give it a break so that I can get in a few straight shaves. I also need to try out the IBC Shavette that I purchased a few weeks ago.

Other Stuff
Everything is going well right now. Work is good. I love my job. I am learning some new things (both in and out of work). We are still watching Scrubs. My perfume today is fantastic. I can't complain about anything right now.

Journal Entry #908

Today's Shave - 10/22/2023

None

Overview
Okay... So, it has been a while...

Shave Stuff
I haven't been really been enjoying my shaves lately. The puck of Williams from February is still hanging on. It just won't die. However, since it is Tabactober I have been using my Tabac stick and enjoying it more than I had been. I will eventually get back in the groove. I may or may not finish the Williams puck. Maybe I will start using it for pre-shave duty. We'll see.

Other Stuff
Life is going well mostly.

I am getting bad Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right hand. But, that is the worst thing going on right now. I am wearing a wrist brace to try and treat it. I will get it figured out.

We had an awesome trip to Kentucky earlier this month for our 21st Anniversary. I loved every second of it. I could even see myself moving there some day.
We stayed at The Jailer's Inn in Bardstown. It is a fantastic B&B. I would stay there again.
The places that we visited:
Castle & Key was the most beautiful place that we visited. The Cooperage had the best tour. The whiskeys were all excellent.
The restaurants that we ate at were also great. There is a restaurant and bar in Bardstown called "The Rickhouse" we ate at the bar and bought shots for the people sitting there with us for our Anniversary meal. It was killer.
Also, if you are ever in Bardstown stop at The Volstead Lounge. It is a fantastic watering hole.

Journal Entry #909

Today's Shave - 11/13/2023
Pre:
Razor: 1960's Tech Head on RazoRock Haloed UFO Handle
Blade: Gillette 7O'Clock Super Platinum (black)
Brush: The Tech Hive Synthetic Tuxedo Beehive 26mm
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost
AS 2: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm
Fragrance: Salvatore Ferragamo Uomo Urban Feel EdT

Overview
Getting back into the shaving groove.

Shave Stuff
2023 has been a down year for me shave-wise. I just wasn't getting much enjoyment out of it. I think part of it was trying to make a single puck of Modern Williams last as long as possible. The shaves weren't bad, but after a while they weren't great either. Then I spent some time using Tabac last month for Tabactober, and now I am working on a partial tub of Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost that I got in a PIF several years ago. I haven't used SS in a long, long time. It is an excellent soap and I had forgotten just how good it is. Also, now that I am back to my normal modus operandi I am enjoying my shaves more. I love the 3017 shaving lifestyle. Yes, it ends up being more expensive since it tends to be a bit wasteful of product, but it does make for a more luxurious and enjoyable shave. Full speed ahead.

Other Stuff
Things are going decently well in my life. My main complaint is how G** da**** expensive everything is right now in Colorado. I am feeling like I am falling farther and farther behind financially. If I didn't have so many family, friends, and job prospects in Colorado I would be seriously consider moving to a cheaper state. I still really like living here, however.

My job is still stressful. I am getting more leadership responsibilities thrust upon me, but that is life in a small start-up corporation. I am strugglng with the challenges, but I can overcome them. It will just take time and require imrpoving my organizational skills. But it seems like the mountain of work never gets any smaller.
My managers like me. They are giving me more responsibility, even if I don't want it. So, looking at the big picture, I am well situated for success here. I just need to rise to it.

Journal Entry #910

Today's Shave - 04/20/2024
Pre:
Razor: Shick Krona
Blade: ZaZa Super Stainless
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements Lather Bowl
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm
Soap/Cream: Stirling Almond Creme sample
AS 2: Lucky Tiger AS & Facial Tonic
AS 3: Nivea Sensitive Soothing Post Shave Balm
AS 4: Stirling Almond Creme AS sample
Fragrance: Scentual Obsessions Andy Warhol Clone

Overview
Getting back into the shaving groove once again.

Shave Stuff
Things have been kinda meh for the year so far, but I am trying to get back into the swing of things. This Stirling sample and the soap making demo at TSCCon have really helped, as spending time with my TSC family in Las Vegas. I am really, really enjoying the Stirling soap. Right now it is ticking all the boxes for me. I also put in an order from CBLsoap after I got back from TSCCon. I don't need any more soap, but I do really like supporting the forum and its ownership. Besides, I needed more Oud Minerale soap. Right? ... Right?

Other Stuff
Life in High Tech can be unpredictable at the best of times, and right now certainly isn't the best of times. Life can be even more unpredictable when working for a High Tech Startup Company, as I have been since June 2022. These things are just understood when one chooses a career in High Tech. So, while extremely unsurprising, it is still very, very disappointing that my Startup decided to lay me off on April 15. There are lots of jobs out there right now. The big problem is that, due to lots of lay offs at big companies at the end of 2023, there are also lots and lots of people fighting for them. I will find something before too long, but it is probably not going to be an ideal position. I may have to keep looking even after finding new employment.

Also, the weather in Colorado sucks right now. It was in the 60s on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday and today is has been in the 30s and snowing. This is springtime in Colorado for you...

the weather in Colorado sucks right now. It was in the 60s on Wednesday and Thursday. Yesterday and today is has been in the 30s and snowing. This is springtime in Colorado for you...
Yeah, that’s a similar pattern to what we have in western PA, though it’s generally warmer overall here, with some cold rain, not snow.

Sorry to hear Doug, you have the accumen to maybe start out on your own, Consulting or something. Hope you find or start your own path. Once you work for yourself, you will never be at the mercy of employers. It is a hard "eating ramen and cornflakes" start but with sacrifice you can chart your own path

Good Luck, and we are always here if you need an ear to bend. Glad to see you posting

Praying for you brother, I am thankful my lay off date is 12/31. BUT it's extremely disheartening knowing its coming.

Good to hear the TSC convention provide you with a little boost to your shaving enthusiasm, turning a necessary grooming routine into an enjoyable event we look forward to is a key reason we (me any anyway) chose wet shaving to begin with. And I absolutely agree, Stirling ticks pretty much all the boxes, their bar soap is also very enjoyable. And for my part, I am happy to hear CBL soap is a produc tthat brings you joy...and Oud Mineral IS pretty awesome stuff.

As strong as out economy appears on paper there are certainly a lot of lay offs occuring at higher levels. Sorry to hear you got caught up in the lay off wave. With the diversity of skills you have I have no doubt you can find a replacement job, but as you say it may require taking a subpar job until you find the one that you want. As for the weather in Colorado, I am amazed at how intense the weahter has been. It's late April and people are strggilng with flight delays and cancelations due to SNOW in Denver. A friend of mine sent a picture of her Tulips covered in snow, a real strange site to be sure.

Back