The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Deodorant recommendations

I've tried Crystal and might as well worn nothing--I smelled pretty bad by mid-afternoon. I then tried Tom's and I smelled bad by mid-morning and it gave me a pretty bad rash. I may take a look at the ingredient list for Schmidt's and compare it to Tom's. In the meantime, I just went back to Degree and Gillette gel.

I've tried Crystal and might as well worn nothing--I smelled pretty bad by mid-afternoon. I then tried Tom's and I smelled bad by mid-morning and it gave me a pretty bad rash. I may take a look at the ingredient list for Schmidt's and compare it to Tom's. In the meantime, I just went back to Degree and Gillette gel.
When switching from an Anti-Perspirant to a deodorant (especially natural deodorants) some people have transition period. I hate to use the word detox...because I think it is incorrectly used most of the time...and I am probably not using it correctly here also...but most anti-perspirants contain aluminum based compounds and I think (and this is what I think and am not sure it is scientific) your body needs a period to clear these aluminum compounds from your body.

When I switched from anti-perspirants to natural deodorants, I thought they worked...okay. They seemed to last about a half a day and then I needed to reapply. About a week into using the natural stuff, I had about three days where I just plain old stunk in the pits. I mean...I smelled like putrefied road kill on a hot Louisiana day. Yeah...I ain't going to lie...I smelled bad. But by day four...I had n stench at all. Seriously...nothing. From that day forward...the natural deodorants seem to work better than anything I have used before. So...I understand if people are not willing to spend a week to two weeks to go through all this. But I can honestly say that I won't be going back to anti-perspirants anytime soon.

All I can say is, bless your wife for putting up with that.

It won't reduce sweating as it's a natural deodorant, not an antiperspirant.
Pretty much THIS. I suppose it stops or slows sweating for a few minutes the same way if you swipe it on your tongue ...well, don’t do that. But no, it doesn’t stop sweating. I used to use something that was clinical strength sweat stopper with no deodorant properties, It was so strong I could actually use that stuff every other day and use the alum daily. It eventually my chemistry changed and I started getting burned.

In the meantime, I just went back to Degree and Gillette gel.
Love the Gillette gels! I’ve used them for many years and they’re hands down the best deodorants/antiperspirants I’ve ever used. I wish more companies would make gels, solid sticks just ball up and gunk up on me horribly.

When switching from an Anti-Perspirant to a deodorant (especially natural deodorants) some people have transition period. I hate to use the word detox...because I think it is incorrectly used most of the time...and I am probably not using it correctly here also...but most anti-perspirants contain aluminum based compounds and I think (and this is what I think and am not sure it is scientific) your body needs a period to clear these aluminum compounds from your body.

When I switched from anti-perspirants to natural deodorants, I thought they worked...okay. They seemed to last about a half a day and then I needed to reapply. About a week into using the natural stuff, I had about three days where I just plain old stunk in the pits. I mean...I smelled like putrefied road kill on a hot Louisiana day. Yeah...I ain't going to lie...I smelled bad. But by day four...I had n stench at all. Seriously...nothing. From that day forward...the natural deodorants seem to work better than anything I have used before. So...I understand if people are not willing to spend a week to two weeks to go through all this. But I can honestly say that I won't be going back to anti-perspirants anytime soon.
Sounds like maybe you just got use to the stink. Kind like a smoker doesn't smell the his own stink.
. I suppose it stops or slows sweating for a few minutes the same way if you swipe it on your tongue
I have never had a sweaty tongue.

I just ordered some Malin & Goetz Eucalyptus to try, so I'll report back on that.
I've been using this for a few weeks, and I really like it. It's as good for me as any other natural deodorant. Last week when Hurricane Sally hit, we lost power, and I didn't shower for a couple of days. Running around in humid 85 degree weather for that time didn't phase this deodorant, I probably smelled in other places but not really my arm pits. Still no power, but the weather has cooled down some, so not sweating nearly as much, and I've been taking cold showers every day just so I can feel clean. 🥶

Back