The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Deodorant recommendations

I've tried quite a few, and my skin doesn't like a lot of them. The ones that I've been using that work for me are Ursa Major Hoppin Fresh deodorant, and Kopari Coconut deodorant. They're not cheap, but for me they work.

Some of the others do pretty well... Native is available at Target, and it works pretty good for me. Schmidt's has great reviews, and worked for deodorant, but the texture of it made me break out. Haven't found anything as good as the 2 mentioned above. I just ordered some Malin & Goetz Eucalyptus to try, so I'll report back on that.

This is pretty much what I use as both my post-shave alum and my pit stick. Our local Bulk Barn stopped carrying it, so I ordered online 6 or so sticks last year; I'm set for another 4 years or so, they last that long, :ROFLMAO:
1599448016651.png

My only personal experience is using a pure ammonium alum rock...works well but I’m sure there are better. Good news is it can double as a post shave. I ended up using mine as a post shave and went back to the hard stuff for pit based odor control. Ammonium alum stings like a booger but it’s a good incentive to reduce irritation from bad blades and bad technique.
My wife uses one from Tom’s, I’ve seen it at groceries NOT named Tom’s so it must be available other places. She says it works but also uses a second one from time to time (don’t know the name)

Arm and hammer naturals. It's cheap, and wonderful. I've been using it for 6 years now.

I referee basketball and football. And football in 100+ degree heat like this last Thursday! This deodorant works. Give it a go.

Arm and hammer naturals. It's cheap, and wonderful. I've been using it for 6 years now.

I referee basketball and football. And football in 100+ degree heat like this last Thursday! This deodorant works. Give it a go.
That’s it, that’s the second one my wife uses. I guess women need 2 of everything.

I've used the crystal deodorant stone before and really liked it.

Possibly something that guys don't consider that often, and possibly a bit taboo, but what about shaving your pits? It was brought up over at the other place several years back, and I tried it. I'll never go back to hairy pits. I have less perspiration and much less odor. My need for using a deodorant is greatly reduced since I stated shaving my pits. I just keep a DE in the shower, and trim it up about once a week.

I use a liquid alum, it seems to work better for me than the solid type.

SANTE CRYSTAL ROLL-ON DEODORANT - HERKÄLLE IHOLLE 50ml

Possibly something that guys don't consider that often, and possibly a bit taboo, but what about shaving your pits? It was brought up over at the other place several years back, and I tried it. I'll never go back to hairy pits. I have less perspiration and much less odor. My need for using a deodorant is greatly reduced since I stated shaving my pits. I just keep a DE in the shower, and trim it up about once a week.
I use an old beard trimmer rather than a razor.

@NickCard I alternate between a couple of deodorants. I'll explain before I go into the brands I use. For whatever reason, if I use one particular natural deodorant for an extended amount of time...my pits will start to get really stinky. I don't know if it is because my body adapts to the formulation or what have you...but it weird. I then just switch to my other go to and all is well until i get to the point where my pits stink again...then I go back to the other one. I know it sounds weird. for me...it takes between four and six months before I get to that point.

I tried the Tai Crystal/Natural Crystal/alum blocks-roll ons. And they do not work for me at all. I also get a painful rash in my pits when I use them.

Most...not all...deodorants that have baking soda in them irritate my skin something bad for what ever reason. So I stay away from those.

Okay...the two I use right now...

#1 Schmidts's Sage + Vetiver...

1599481729451.png

I like this one a good bit. It's relatively inexpensive and really works well for me. Some of the other Schmidt's deodorants are really hard and you have to warm them up first to apply. I think the easy application has to do with the hemp seed oil. This one smells nice (my wife has even commented) and it seems to work at a really good price. I have found this at both Walmart and Target so it's easy to find.

#2 Lume

1599482176154.png 1599482226172.png

Okay...I put this number two, but this is my favorite deodorant. I mean...when this stuff works...it really works. When I first started using Lume...I was coming from something like Old Spice with a bunch of aluminum in it. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust to a natural deodorant. But once I was adjusted...this stuff was awesome! I full disclosure, I have only used the Lavender and Sage scent. It's very innocuous (the scent) and a nice and fresh scent. They just recently came out with a whole mess of scents...some of them are in the sample pack above. They have tubes and sticks...but take it from me...you will want a tube so you can control how much goes on. You just waste a lot with the stick. Plus...with the tube you can use this on other body parts that sweat a lot. Like stinky feet and...okay...let's just leave it stinky feet. You can use your imagination for other places. 🤪 The downside to this deodorant...is that it isn't cheap. One tube will run you about $19. Two will run you about $33 ($16.50 a tube). And the sample pack (.75 ounce tubes) will run you about $30 for five tubes. But in my experience, a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. A full size tube lasted me somewhere in the neighborhood of five months (Schmidt's lasts me two months tops), and that's applying at least once a day and often twice. The other downside is that I believe you can only order it online (from their site and on places like amazon).

As a side note...the web advertisements of Lume are hilarious!

Okay...those are my two cents. Hope you find the right deodorant for you! No one needs stinky pits!

Lume Deodorant

@NickCard I alternate between a couple of deodorants. I'll explain before I go into the brands I use. For whatever reason, if I use one particular natural deodorant for an extended amount of time...my pits will start to get really stinky. I don't know if it is because my body adapts to the formulation or what have you...but it weird. I then just switch to my other go to and all is well until i get to the point where my pits stink again...then I go back to the other one. I know it sounds weird. for me...it takes between four and six months before I get to that point.

I tried the Tai Crystal/Natural Crystal/alum blocks-roll ons. And they do not work for me at all. I also get a painful rash in my pits when I use them.

Most...not all...deodorants that have baking soda in them irritate my skin something bad for what ever reason. So I stay away from those.

View attachment 34709

I like this one a good bit. It's relatively inexpensive and really works well for me. Some of the other Schmidt's deodorants are really hard and you have to warm them up first to apply. I think the easy application has to do with the hemp seed oil. This one smells nice (my wife has even commented) and it seems to work at a really good price. I have found this at both Walmart and Target so it's easy to find.

#2 Lume

View attachment 34711 View attachment 34712

Okay...I put this number two, but this is my favorite deodorant. I mean...when this stuff works...it really works. When I first started using Lume...I was coming from something like Old Spice with a bunch of aluminum in it. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust to a natural deodorant. But once I was adjusted...this stuff was awesome! I full disclosure, I have only used the Lavender and Sage scent. It's very innocuous (the scent) and a nice and fresh scent. They just recently came out with a whole mess of scents...some of them are in the sample pack above. They have tubes and sticks...but take it from me...you will want a tube so you can control how much goes on. You just waste a lot with the stick. Plus...with the tube you can use this on other body parts that sweat a lot. Like stinky feet and...okay...let's just leave it stinky feet. You can use your imagination for other places. The downside to this deodorant...is that it isn't cheap. One tube will run you about $19. Two will run you about $33 ($16.50 a tube). And the sample pack (.75 ounce tubes) will run you about $30 for five tubes. But in my experience, a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. A full size tube lasted me somewhere in the neighborhood of five months (Schmidt's lasts me two months tops), and that's applying at least once a day and often twice. The other downside is that I believe you can only order it online (from their site and on places like amazon).

Okay...those are my two cents. Hope you find the right deodorant for you! No one needs stinky pits!

Lume Deodorant

Thank you Don. I will check these out. You had me laughing while reading your comment. Have a great day!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use an old beard trimmer rather than a razor.

I use this as well; it's surprising how big a difference it makes in the smell with no hair in the pits.

Also, if anyone likes the liquid style alum deodorant, Kiss My Face Liquid Rock also worked great for me, and there are a few scents available. I prefer the Fragrance Free.

So wait a minute, you guys are saying alum keeps you from sweating and stinking as much as commercial deodorants?

View attachment 34709

#2 Lume

View attachment 34711 View attachment 34712

Okay...I put this number two, but this is my favorite deodorant. I mean...when this stuff works...it really works. When I first started using Lume...I was coming from something like Old Spice with a bunch of aluminum in it. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust to a natural deodorant. But once I was adjusted...this stuff was awesome! I full disclosure, I have only used the Lavender and Sage scent. It's very innocuous (the scent) and a nice and fresh scent. They just recently came out with a whole mess of scents...some of them are in the sample pack above. They have tubes and sticks...but take it from me...you will want a tube so you can control how much goes on. You just waste a lot with the stick. Plus...with the tube you can use this on other body parts that sweat a lot. Like stinky feet and...okay...let's just leave it stinky feet. You can use your imagination for other places. The downside to this deodorant...is that it isn't cheap. One tube will run you about $19. Two will run you about $33 ($16.50 a tube). And the sample pack (.75 ounce tubes) will run you about $30 for five tubes. But in my experience, a little bit of this stuff goes a long way. A full size tube lasted me somewhere in the neighborhood of five months (Schmidt's lasts me two months tops), and that's applying at least once a day and often twice. The other downside is that I believe you can only order it online (from their site and on places like amazon).

Lume Deodorant

I ordered the Timber and Spice sampler pack from Lume. The ads are hilarious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back