The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Coffee

uacowboy

"The Minuteman"
Concierge Emeritus
Hobbyist
Anyone else around here roast their own?

Currently i am drinking some nice Ethiopian i roasted up about a week ago.

What kind of coffee do ya'll like?

I have considered getting into roasting my own coffee but honestly don't even know where to begin. I do some google searches and get overwhelmed. We do grind our beans every morning. Lately we have been buying the Columbian bean from Costco.

i roast in small batches that last me a little over a week or so if i drink it everyday( I also get the dunkin cold brew kits for when i am on the run and just pour some over ice from the fridge). Maybe when i roast my next batch i will try and record it and post the video. It's not to difficult and tastes so much better fresh.

I wished that I could enjoy coffee enough to get into this. I'm a flavored creamer type of guy. Believe me, I've tried it black from time to time and just can't do it. Even tried the special brew methods and beans at a Starbucks Roastery and the bitter aftertaste still made it a no-go. My dad was into roasting his own for a while. I think he just used a hot air popcorn popper. But he kept notes on each roasting and different beans in labeled tubs.

I wished that I could enjoy coffee enough to get into this. I'm a flavored creamer type of guy. Believe me, I've tried it black from time to time and just can't do it. Even tried the special brew methods and beans at a Starbucks Roastery and the bitter aftertaste still made it a no-go. My dad was into roasting his own for a while. I think he just used a hot air popcorn popper. But he kept notes on each roasting and different beans in labeled tubs.

I was too until i started roasting. When the beans are freshly roasted and you only take it to a Full City(maybe a bit more than a Medium) roast the bitterness is way less. I haven't used the popper method but i know it is popular. I started off with a stainless mixing bowl and a heat gun. now i have roaster that looks kinda like a frying pan with holes in it that i use over a gas flame. It is amazing the flavors you can get from the beans when they are not mixed in a blend. Coffee is odd in that mixing cancels flavor more than it enhances most of the time.

Like Chad, I grind my beans every morning..... but I've never roasted. I use a French press. I want my coffee to be simple, fast, and easy. Not looking to make a hobby out of it. Just give me a cup of strong black coffee and I'm happy.

Quick and simple for me too. McD's McCafe medium roast into the Bunn maker and 3 minutes later I got a cup of black joe to sip on.

So what I do, do. At work I have a Keurig on my desk. I really don't like Keurig coffee, but it's cheap and at my desk. I won't pay to buy from the cafe here every day.

At home we have a brewer that holds a bunch of beans on top and grinds them for each pot. Around the holidays, Starbucks makes a holiday roast that's pretty mild. One of the only ones from them that doesn't taste burnt. I like it. My wife knows the manager of a Starbucks in her work building so now is in the habit of buying two 5 or 10lb bags and we use them through the year. Last year they didn't even have it available to the public in the 1lb bags so the connection was good.

Hey monkey boy, that thing is crazy and impressive.

I am in that group that thinks all Starbucks beans taste burnt!
I agree, except this one roast. Before we started buying a year's worth of that bean, Dunkin Donuts was our go to. But it was starting to get harder to find it in whole beans in the grocery stores. For her birthday, I got my wife a couple of pounds of the beans they use at Bouchon restaurants. That's pretty good stuff!

I don't roast my own, but it does sound like fun.

My trip to Vietnam back in 2016 ruined me for most coffee. Vietnam is the #2 coffee producer in the world at 1,650,000 metric tons. However, most of the beans they produce are Robusta rather than Arabica. The coffee that I got in Vietnam was superlative. It is more earthy and chocolaty than most of the other coffee that I am used to. I also find it to be less acidic. Mix it with some sweetened condensed milk and you have a killer cup of joe. I have a hard time drinking almost every other coffee now, except Ethiopian Yirgacheff, which is perhaps the best Arabica on the planet.

There are a couple of local coffee roasters here that we purchase whole beans from and then i grind my own for cold brew usually. Winter months i use the same coffee but grind it for use in our Keurig

I have a couple of local Roaster that I purchase whole beans from or grab a cup of...whatever I like. Their beans are definitely superior to anything else I have bought in stores or at chain coffee shops.

Dave of the nurse variety. I like black coffee from time to time...but most of the time I am a cream kind of guy. You should try just a bit of real and fresh cream in your coffee. Not too much..just enough to take the bitterness out of the coffee. You still get that wonderful coffee flavor with some creaminess to it. With those flavored creamers...you might as well be drinking chocolate milk. First Coke in your Zaya Rum...and now sugared creamers and Kurig coffee...what's next?
1f60e.png

KJ...Are you trying to develop cold fusion or time travel with that thing? Really though...that looks amazing! I need to check into something like that!

Okay...I just started looking at some things. I thought that this would be a super expensive way of getting my morning joe...that seems to not be the case.

If one was looking to get in on roasting coffee beans for a reasonable start up but a solid method...how would one begin to do this? I understand that I could research this on my own (and I likely will) but just wanted to hear what the wise ones of the Cadre had to say.

I have considered getting into roasting my own coffee but honestly don't even know where to begin. I do some google searches and get overwhelmed. We do grind our beans every morning. Lately we have been buying the Columbian bean from Costco.
That's my situation, too. Except that we buy the ground Colombian coffee from Costco. It takes too long to grind by hand and I'd be in big trouble if I woke everyone up with an electric grinder.
If love to get into coffee as a hobby but it's just too expensive.

Okay...I just started looking at some things. I thought that this would be a super expensive way of getting my morning joe...that seems to not be the case.

If one was looking to get in on roasting coffee beans for a reasonable start up but a solid method...how would one begin to do this? I understand that I could research this on my own (and I likely will) but just wanted to hear what the wise ones of the Cadre had to say.

I got started from a guy on YouTube called yankee prepper. He is also my source for beans via his website of the same name. He has a good video showing a few methods to roast small batches.

Back