The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Chambers Shave Company Product Review "AVIATOR"

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
As many of you know, I am affiliated with the Chamber Companies, as well as The Gentlemen's Chamber Barbershop located in Tucson, AZ. Also I did have a hand in this product development. I am currently on Hiatus as I am completing my Barbering Curriculum and await completion of that, and State Board testing in Early 2019, when I will return to the Shop as a Master Barber. I state this, as I will be as objective as possible in the forthcoming product review....

The Chamber Companies and the Gentlemen's Chamber Barbershop has recently placed on the market a full line of "in-house made" products. These include Hand, Face, and Body Soap, lotion Pomade, Hair Clay, Mustache wax, beard oil, Shaving Cream and Aftershaves, and more. Currently there are a number of "Flavors" available, and we will be reviewing these both in writing and video in the next few weeks and months.

Today we are Reviewing "AVIATOR" and will focus on the shaving cream and aftershave products. Aviator is a tallow based shave cream, but not quite a cream, and not quite a croap. I would classify this as a firm cream, similar to Taylor of Bond Street. This however, is where the similarities end. This is a far superior Artisan made shave soap in all aspects from packaging to performance.

Initial Thoughts: (4.9/5.0)
Product presentation is nice, simple and direct to the point with none of the "fluff" of other shave products. Very professional waterproof labels, nice and simple black screw top containers, that are large enough to lather in as well.
A nice Bi-plane Logo in similar coloring, enhances the simplicity. 130 grams leaves enough room to get your brush in. Black Currant, Sandalwood, and Ozone are your star fragrances. Those that are fellow pilots will get the reference right away ( if you have flown in an open cockpit in the mountains on a clear cool day) This scent screams fresh, air, wind in your face. It gives a ever so slight nod to Creed's Silver Mountain Water, but stands on it own, as a very unique offering. My only knock is that the complete ingredient list is not on the label. it would be a suggested addition

Latherability (4.9/5.0)

As a cream it jumps on the brush, although it is just as at home with a finger snurdle smeared in a shave bowl as well. If you are going to load in the container, load lightly as it, being a firm cream, will load almost automatically, too hard of a push and you will overload and spend a day hydrating. Less is more in this case. It is a very thirsty cream and will require a good amount of water to get perfect, however you will have enough wonderfully shiny and slick soap to shave an army. Elite status in this category similar of SV, CBL. The only comments is it is very easy to overload the brush, but that is subjective.

On the Face: (5.0 / 5.0)
Rich, Creamy, and as thick or thin as you like. Pillowy or wet and shiny, This cream allows you to customize. Good face feel, does not dissipate and finger testing proves it will give plenty of glide and cushion suitable for both DE, SE and especially Straight Razor passes. Fantastic Face Feel! good residual slickness post pass and rinse

Stability: (4.9/5.0)
Again, as stable as they come, as long as you have hydrated correctly. To little water and it will be like paste, I have not been able to break this lather so it will take as much water as possible, and remain a stable stage on your face for multiple passes

Glide / Slickness: (4.8/5.0)
This is a bit subjective, as I am still getting to know the ratios, however my 1st pass was a sticky, however subsequent passes were extremely slippery, almost greasy, so Glide and slickness are not a concern. Again, with the right water ration you could spread this on dirt and skate like ice. Again just requires the right amount of water and work to get it perfect.

Fragrance: (5.0/5.0 )
SOS on this one is perfectly strong, and long lasting. I was concerned at the initial sniff, however once the water touched the cream it exploded fragrance. Lasted through each pass and remained consisted even long after post shave. Better than most in this category

Post Shave: (5.0/ 5.0 )
Very nice, almost too good. Your skin is left supple, moisturized and feels very nice. Again in the same league face feel wise as SV and CBL, and PannaCrema NuaivaActually I would give this one the edge, which is a very high compliment, considering nothing beats SV in post shave.... Until Now.

Summary: (34.9 / 35.0 )

This is a must own, an if the other fragrances are as strong this one is a winner. I after initial usage would rate this an elite cream ( firm cream ). I have given the final score a bump for a couple of reasons. The aftershave is very nourishing and the SOS is on par with the Soap, Th mustache wax is fantastic and leaves that lingering scent in the snoz all day. The Body wash, again on par. So if you are looking for a complete "system" this is the one of the only product that shoots the gambit from shower, to shave, to hair, to body it is a complete fragrance agenda, and all the offerings will have this.

I’m feeling suitably enabled and feel comfortable making a tub purchase on the strength of your review. Trusting eh?

Great review Dave! Interested to see others’ thoughts as the product comes more fully into the market.

A point of clarification if you will, you mentioned: “Very professional waterproof labels, nice and simple black screw top containers, that are large enough to lather in as well” but urged caution in loading as it’s easy to grab too much. Is this the screw top that’s large enough to lather in? Or do you simply mean the tub and it’s opening are nice an wide, shave bowl size?

Sounds too soft for me. I don’t like creams. Do they plan on producing a soap?

I may have to try and swing by the shop on my way to work this week.

Great review Dave. This is a line I am not familiar with so have to try some out. Thabks for the introduction. Is Chamber Street in any stores or available direct?

It is a brand new line. Right now i believe they are only available in store in Tucson but they are working on a website and building up some stock. I picked up on of the shave soaps before my night shift yesterday and will be giving it a go in tomorrows shave. I picked up El Guapo

So Jim is our Pasteur's supply channel and Kyle is our Chambers supply channel. I'm taking notes for July 1st
1f44d.png
The Website should be up WELL before that!
1f61c.png

Yes, this is a sloooooooooow rollout

Perhaps its in our best interests they open after the holidays lol. Would much rather a artisan take their time and make sure everything is ready to roll, rather than rush things and have a disaster once grand opening.

Hopefully this means there will be plenty of soaps in stock once they decide to go public.

If I don't get an invoice soon, I'm a no go............
INVOICE
your order of EVERYTHING WE HAVE AT THE CHAMBERS is packed and ready to ship, we just await payment. Unfortunately our payment system only accepts 2019 $ so we will need to wait to process your payment until January 2019.

INVOICE
your order of EVERYTHING WE HAVE AT THE CHAMBERS is packed and ready to ship, we just await payment. Unfortunately our payment system only accepts 2019 $ so we will need to wait to process your payment until January 2019.
May need to change my exception from CBL Soaps to Chambers ???????

Back