The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Tonsorial -a new (OLD) formula is born

Nah nah nah nah, you’ve all got it wrong...it’s all about the Ghost Bourbon On The Rocks!

Or something with Lavander or voilet. That’s it...Myrsol C in soap form!

I have a tub of mentholated eucalyptus and Camphor that I pull out this time of year when my allergies are so terrible, it helps clear the eyes and nose. I will probably make something similar in this formula...Williams used to sell one that had a camphor compound in it, I think as antiseptic or preservative more than an actual scent.

The soap will be sold in 3 ounce portions hot poured into 6.5 ounce tubs. To allow for more variety in scent as the new formula is introduced the top label will be printed on the same water resistant labels used on the premium soap, the ones that bled color. A vinyl label will be top priority. A smaller 1.5 or 2 ounce mug sized puck is planned but no time frame is known yet.
If I could give some of my thoughts (I think you asked for it): I just looked at a few of my soaps and the average size seems to be 3.5-4 oz. Even your regular soaps are 4 oz. to me by offering 3 oz tubs take away the feeling of getting a good deal, sort of getting a "Lesser Value". This is like when coffee started to sell 13 oz tubs instead of 1lb tubs.

Along those lines, the "mug sized" should stay within the Williams standard size of 2 1/2 diameter and be at least 2 oz (williams is 1.75 oz). This will allow the puck to be dropped into most mugs (I still use the old spice and Williams mugs). I just looked at the beta puck and while it's weight is over 2 oz the thinness of it gives it the "lesser value" appearance. If you go smaller than 2 1/2 inches in diameter you get into the range of Haslinger soaps which seem tiny to me and once again seem to be of a lesser value.

My feelings are price per ounce will reflect the value. Honestly I guess we all have different preferences but I feel Rod NAILED it with 3 ounces in a 4 ounce tub. Just my thoughts........

Honestly, when you have as much soap as me, the idea of getting a 3oz puck (as opposed to Stirling’s 5.4oz) is very appealing. It’s less soap to think about working through. The price per ounce is how I calculate perceived value to me. But another factor is this is a relatively hard puck, and it loads really quick, so I’m going to use less soap per use, than many of the softer soaps, and it will last a lot longer making the value even greater. I agree with Dave (shocking, I know) that 3oz is kind of the sweet spot for many soaps.

Honestly, when you have as much soap as me, the idea of getting a 3oz puck (as opposed to Stirling’s 5.4oz) is very appealing. It’s less soap to think about working through. The price per ounce is how I calculate perceived value to me. But another factor is this is a relatively hard puck, and it loads really quick, so I’m going to use less soap per use, than many of the softer soaps, and it will last a lot longer making the value even greater. I agree with Dave (shocking, I know) that 3oz is kind of the sweet spot for many soaps.
giphy (25).gif

I count only 7 of the beta pucks remaining.
A bunch of folks are going to have some great shaves! Or perhaps a few folks will have MANY great shaves! 🕺

Back