The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

CBL Soap October update(s)

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
I know a lot of you have been watching the CBLsoap.com website diligently for the newest releases and I thank you for that. I assure you there are things are close to being available, in fact there ARE soaps and Aftershave's ready to go NOW waiting only for final labeling and to be loaded into the website. I also have SOME (as in more than one) different soap formula's and scents in the wings, waiting to be made, packed and labeled. These new soaps will primarily be VEGAN/non-tallow but will be made with a CBL twist that promises to please. I first began making/testing these formulas (including the one that is in the can) this time last year with the intent to release them for Easter 2019 but life hit the CBL household very hard early in 2019 and CBL soap went into auto pilot. With the challenges of 2019 and early 2020 behind us the opportunity to push forward with these new ideas once again presents itself. Ideally one of these formulas would include an extended aging (so you may not see it until Easter 2021?) but the other 2 or 3 don't require that length of aging. Now, ALL shaving soaps get better with a little aging so be patient.

OH, let's not forget the soon to be released, one of a kind CBL After Shave Tonic. You've seen it in mentioned @NurseDave's and @BarberDave's journal but those custom scented "Beta" versions were precursors to the final that is in bottles now. YES, the Hombres scent that Dave raved about in his journal will be available both in his barbershop and on my website. I will also have a limited amount of a "special edition" scent or two and I will be creating a few others as I go on. At this time my intention is not to create an aftershave scented to match each soap...sorry. Why? because I can't. nor can I scent to order...just too much work. I will start by making a few specialty/matching sets and one or two more universal scents that can be used along with most soaps and colognes. I will evaluate and adjust my approach going forward based on popularity. I am excited about the After Shave Tonic because it is some REALLY good stuff, I'll go so far as to say it will compete with or beat ANY top shelf stuff out there.

I haven't said much about it but over the last 3 weeks the CBL soap labs have undergone some MAJOR changes. We spent the last 3-4 weeks my wife and I moved and remodeled the CBL soap labs, making more room for work and storage. Even with the move and reorg, there seems to be so little room but it is way better than it was before. I still have more to do but the new lab provides more room and opportunity to work on things without having to worry about projects being interrupted. Sadly, during the move my wife decide to reorganize bottles that had been put in boxes or bags here or there (my file system) and in doing so she made it almost impossible for me to duplicate scents I had previously made. When she texted me "can I put your bottles in boxes on the shelves?" I answered yes not knowing that meant she would alphabetize and sort by brand and size and throw out empties and so on. ...the importance of writing things down in a single location is now a little more clear in my mind. That's good though, a chance to move forward with some fresh scents.

Bath soap anyone? Turns out I am a pretty good soap maker. I don't intend to compete with the other artisans in the bath soap arena but I DO make a kick butt bath soap. I know this because I have been making some for my Wife to sell at the market along side HER little creations. I plan to offer rough cut (as in...it aint always pretty) bath soaps in some pretty random scents on my website. Why random scents? because I have a bunch of random scents I have aquired over time and making bath soap with those scents is a good way to put those scents to use while giving my wife a soap she can sell at the market. I will be selling these soaps for around $3-$4. The price is way less than the soap is worth from a quality/performance stand point and far less than any artisan should be selling a bar soap for ...I say this to make clear YOU SHOULD EXPECT TO PAY MORE WHEN BUYING FROM STIRLING AND LNHC BECAUSE THEIR STUFF IS WORTH IT! The reason I am selling my soap at a "clearance" price is because I am not accounting for fragrance costs in any way...i just want the fragrances gone. AND I am not making any real effort to make the soap pretty (if it IS pretty it is an accident).

Bespoke: CBL soap does custom requests. Watch for more on this. Hombres was a custom request. 2 more scents that are on the horizon are custom orders that I have been given permission to make public.

Watch the Stars...

You're killin' me, man!
Oh its good stuff too. But the packaging is heavy stuff ...and the After shave has plenty of Alcohol in it so that may be a shipping issue...no? I definitely don't have a no alcohol version of the tonic available BUT don't cry yet because...well don't cry yet. We will be able to work something special out for you Sam.

I like the idea of 'universal' aftershaves. Since when did 'real men' need to be all matchie matchie?

If I ever mange to get back to the States I'll have to get some!

This is some seriously good stuff Chris! I am so happy that you are moving forward!

Now...let's talk about scents...if you were able to make an aftershave in the wheelhouse of my favorite aftershave (and exceptionally hard to get) Figaro Monsieur...I might do two things...

1. Buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff

and

2. Fly to California and give you a kiss (okay...not serious about this one...but only because I would have to fly to California 🤪 )

This is some seriously good stuff Chris! I am so happy that you are moving forward!

Now...let's talk about scents...if you were able to make an aftershave in the wheelhouse of my favorite aftershave (and exceptionally hard to get) Figaro Monsieur...I might do two things...

1. Buy a 55 gallon drum of the stuff

and

2. Fly to California and give you a kiss (okay...not serious about this one...but only because I would have to fly to California 🤪 )
It sounds like a pretty straight forward scent. Also sounds a little sweet...no? I can put that on my experimental projects list but I will need a Danger Description and a hefty deposit in a swiss bank account (it is a made by a swiss company isn't it?)

It sounds like a pretty straight forward scent. Also sounds a little sweet...no? I can put that on my experimental projects list but I will need a Danger Description and a hefty deposit in a swiss bank account (it is a made by a swiss company isn't it?)
I think it's Italian...but I get the point. I'll see maybe if I can squeeze out of the glass that is the empty bottle some of the scent and send it along.

I think it's Italian...but I get the point. I'll see maybe if I can squeeze out of the glass that is the empty bottle some of the scent and send it along.
You don’t need to get me a sample yet, start with how dangerous don perceives the scent and I’ll start there. Once I get the Don version in my head I let that guide my exploration THEN we start looking at samples. I am not so good at sniffing and breaking down the notes (that’s what @BarberDave is for) so I usually start with how you perceive the scent to avoid getting caught up in my little bias hell.

This is awesome. Bath (hand) soaps and new shave soaps. Exciting!
giphy.gif

Looking forward to see whats available.
Any chance you are interested in putting out a site page on CBLsoap.com that lists the scent names and their profiles? (Or is there already one and I’ve missed it?)

Any chance you are interested in putting out a site page on CBLsoap.com that lists the scent names and their profiles? (Or is there already one and I’ve missed it?)
Jon...don't know if this has every single scent...but here is what he has on the soaps. I expect he will update with his aftershaves as well.

There is a page that lists most of them, including older ones. I even include a link to the product (the links should work but with time and upgrades they may have a few issues) BUT the list hasn’t been updated for awhile

I am going to work on my website...try to revamp it some so it’s a little less spread out. I’ve been building my wife’s site and in doing so I’m finding ways to improve mine. Now I just need to find time to do it AND develop a solid vision for what I want it all to look like.

I have a couple new soap bases And products that will be part of the long term CBL future So I need to make a little room.

Back