The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Brush Education

The only thing I would add is that is that indeed the High Mountain and Manchurian are indeed the geography where the source is from, at least according to the Chinese resources I looked at and verified by both Koraat and Alessandro at Saponificio Varesino, traditionally found only in small quanitity and traditonally from Artisans. Simpson has its own agenda, of which we wont discuss here, LOL.

So based on Josh's post, it seems that the 2 brushes I have are low level badgers. Since I don't know any better, they work well for me.

I have a synthetic on the way that a friend of mine is making for me. So once I get that I'll have something to compare the badgers to.

I'm also thinking about a boar for my next brush purchase. I plan on waiting a little bit so I can put the synthetic to work for a little while first.

I don't want to throw too many things in the pot at the same time. If you've read my journal, you know I'm bad at limiting variables hahaha!

SteveChuckFrank said:
So based on Josh's post, it seems that the 2 brushes I have are low level badgers. Since I don't know any better, they work well for me.

I have a synthetic on the way that a friend of mine is making for me. So once I get that I'll have something to compare the badgers to.

I'm also thinking about a boar for my next brush purchase. I plan on waiting a little bit so I can put the synthetic to work for a little while first.

I don't want to throw too many things in the pot at the same time. If you've read my journal, you know I'm bad at limiting variables hahaha!

If you are gonna get a boar get a Stirling Boar first. then look at Semogue and Omega. i have one of each and like them all but Stirling just outshines the others by a large margin.

If you are gonna get a boar get a Stirling Boar first. then look at Semogue and Omega. i have one of each and like them all but Stirling just outshines the others by a large margin.

I'll definitely look into the Stirling brushes. I have some experience with their products and everything else I've used has been impressive. Especially for the price point!

Lots of information available in this thread, and Josh's post covers almost every general aspect of the different knots. The Stirling brushes are some of the best bang for your buck deals out there, and are a great place to start if you're looking to get a feel for some of the variety available.

SteveChuckFrank said:
I'll definitely look into the Stirling brushes. I have some experience with their products and everything else I've used has been impressive. Especially for the price point!

I haven’t tried the Stirling, but I do have the Omega boar. You also need a Vie Long horsehair and a synth. Just sayin’ ?

MilkCrate said:
I haven’t tried the Stirling, but I do have the Omega boar. You also need a Vie Long horsehair and a synth. Just sayin’ ?

You're a dirty, dirty enabler....lol. I actually have a synthetic on the way. And I'm plotting on the Stirling boar. I need to spread out my purchases to keep SWMBO thrown off haha!

I was also talking horse hair brushes with a friend. He was telling me it's the only type he hasn't tried and is getting the itch to pick one up.

You'll need a has mask. The horse hair brushes are the stinkiest brushes I have ever used.

Hmmm it's very possible I read some bad information TJ....or I just read it wrong haha. But I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough!

Oxi clean has cleared up the stench if any on all my boars and badgers. I have two horse hair brushes that after 5 applications of oxi clean and 5 test lathers on a puck of soap each they still smell like a horses rear end that has diarrhea in Mexico. Go ahead ask me how I know that!Alright fine I'll tell ya. See years ago we were on a family vacation in Mexico. A cousin that was traveling with us got the bright idea hey let's go horseback riding on the beach... innocent enough right? Yup there we are all on horses in a line when the lead horse gets a bout of diarrhea... what does a horse do when it gets diarrhea you ask??? Well it twirls its tail and uses it like a fan... this is where I think the term when S**t hits the fan came from.

Cvargo said:
Oxi clean has cleared up the stench if any on all my boars and badgers. I have two horse hair brushes that after 5 applications of oxi clean and 5 test lathers on a puck of soap each they still smell like a horses rear end that has diarrhea in Mexico. Go ahead ask me how I know that!Alright fine I'll tell ya. See years ago we were on a family vacation in Mexico. A cousin that was traveling with us got the bright idea hey let's go horseback riding on the beach... innocent enough right? Yup there we are all on horses in a line when the lead horse gets a bout of diarrhea... what does a horse do when it gets diarrhea you ask??? Well it twirls its tail and uses it like a fan... this is where I think the term when S**t hits the fan came from.

So no horse hair brushes. Got it. Haha!

Boar, badger and horse all smell. Just lather it with Williams and set it aside while you shave. A weeks worth of defunk lathers and all will be right with the world.

Or maybe not.

MilkCrate said:
Boar, badger and horse all smell. Just lather it with Williams and set it aside while you shave. A weeks worth of defunk lathers and all will be right with the world.

Or maybe not.

Not a bad idea there.

MilkCrate said:

Or maybe not.
Dude, have you ever tried just catching a boar to lather it?

I’ve come to the opinion that it’s all really preference and the best way to know is to try.

Before I got my RR Big Bruce, I would have said use badgers for creams and soft croaps, then boars for hard soaps, and generally that still fits for most folks.

My Bruce is softer than either of my boar or badger, bigger than either, just enough backbone, the slightest tad of scritch, face lathers like a pro, and can handle anything I’ve thrown it’s way so far in terms of soaps/croaps/creams. All that certain brush for certain soap stuff has gone out the window for me.

Back