The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bingo Game #57 : Battleship x Bingo 2

EMG06

"TSC's Bingo Admiral"
Bingo Game #57

Battleship x Bingo 2!

Ahoy there! The world never stops turning and the cadre finds itself in another great conflict. Some things have changed from the last game (new technology), but the premise is the same. I’ll highlight the changes in BOLD below. Much like last time, as a good Quaker, I will follow the Friends Peace Testimony, and refuse to partake in the fighting, but one of you will emerge the victor.

Welcome to a bingo x battleship mashup! While still being nautically themed, this game is going to be a little different than a normal bingo game.

This game will be a gigantic game of battleship between all the players, with me acting as a moderator/referee rather than a caller.

How this will work:

Sign-ups start today.

Once people have signed up, I will send them a card.

As in any game of Battleship, you must place 3 ships on the card:
  1. Battleship (covers 4 squares)
  2. Submarine (covers 3 squares)
  3. Minesweeper (covers 2 squares)
Battleships and Minesweepers can only be placed in a row or column (no diagonals).

Submarines can be placed in a row, column, or on a diagonal.

2 Ships cannot be placed on the same square.

If done properly 9 squares will be covered by a ship and 16 squares will remain uncovered.

Once you have decided where to put your ships, you must send me a copy of your sheet with those spaces marked so I can keep track of everyone’s gameplay.

I will post the unmarked cards publicly on the thread (so you can see each other’s numbers and plan your calling strategy), but the positions of your ships will be a secret between you and the caller (loose lips sink ships after all).

The first calls will be on Wednesday January 17th.

Daily gameplay is as follows:

1. I will post a morning announcement saying that it is time to make calls.
  2. You, the players, have the opportunity to perform 2 actions: 2a: post a valid standard American Bingo Hall bingo call (1-75) in the official bingo thread. 2b: If you still have a submarine, you can send out a ping. You will post out that you are sending a ping. You will send me a private message with the card and square that you are pinging. If it is not a hit, I will send you back a “minesweeper style” map of your opponent’s card. If you ping a ship, I will publish the origin of the ping on the thread (helping to give away the location of your submarine).
  3. You may only make 1 action a day. Once that decision is posted, it cannot be altered if it is outside of the normal editing window. There will be no recaps. An invalid call or repeat call will be a lost opportunity for the player who made that call (i.e. I am not giving you a do-over if you mess up).
  4. Near the end of the day, I will post again saying that the window for making a call for that day is now over.
  5. The number of calls in any given day will be equal to the number of players still in the game. If a player does not post a call within the wide calling window (which will be at least 8 hours), I will make one on their behalf using a predetermined set of bingo calls that will be run before the official gameplay starts.
  6. Calls will be collected and posted in a fixed order at the end of the day (in case timing matters towards the end of the game). Each day the player making the “official first call” will change (for example Day 1 order is A,B,C,D; Day 2 B,C,D,A; Day 3 C,D,A,B; Day 4 D,A,B,C; Day 5 A,B,C,D). So it doesn’t matter what time you post your call on the thread, just your call position within the larger group for that day.
  7. At the end of each day, I will post up a picture of everyone’s cards with the hits/misses marked.

If all 3 of your vessels are sunk, you are out of the running to win and can no longer make a daily call.

2 ways to win:

1. Be the last player standing with a floating boat.
  2. Have all of your blank spaces filled while still having at least 1 floating boat.

The terms of your voyage contract are as follows:

1. Sign-ups are open starting right now. Due to the nature of the gameplay, no late entrants will be allowed.

2. You must be a TSC member in good standing, with at least 10 meaningful posts. Hopefully this will encourage at least some of our newer members to jump in!

3. Spirited banter is highly encouraged, but be a gentleman in all interactions.

4. Calls must be Standard American Bingo Hall calls, consisting of the Letters: B, I, N, G, or O and their corresponding Numbers: 1-75 (Examples: B2, I18, N42, G55, O69). Numbers found without the corresponding letter are not valid calls.

5. The number of calls in any given day will be equal to the number of players.

Calls will be found only on the official Bingo Game #57 thread.

6. Calls must be clearly recognizable and posted in the thread to be considered valid in this game.

7. Bingo cards: Each player will receive 1 Card, which will be sent via PM before the game begins. You may print out your cards, or keep it digital. As calls are received mark them on your cards. You must place your three ships on the card and send me a copy of the card before the first official call to be in the running to win this game (as explained above).

8. The winner will be announced by me at the time of a win (as explained above). The person I announce as the winner is the winner. There are no ties.

9. The winner of this game will receive the following:

The highly coveted Bingo Wizard Badge and bragging rights!

The honor of being the caller of the next Bingo game (to be started within 4 weeks of winning--no bogarting the badge!).

An additional prize may be offered at the discretion of the caller (callers are not required to offer a prize). See below for more on prizes this game.

10. These rules must be posted by the caller before each game, edited for the specifics of their game.

11. If you have any questions, or if any rule needs clarification, let the caller know. The caller has the final say in any questions, disputes, or clarifications regarding calls/rules.

12. Have Fun! Or, Go Crazy! But..... Why Not Both??

Bingo Game 57

Caller: EMG06

———————————-

If done properly 9 squares will be covered by a ship and 16 squares will remain uncovered.
If not done properly how many squares should they cover? Asking for a friend.

If not done properly how many squares should they cover? Asking for a friend.
Ok. First things first, I’m impressed with you for reading (or at least skimming) the rules this time.

Second, to answer your question: anything that does not give you 9 covered squares is going to be not properly done.

Bingo Game 57

———————————-
1. CVargo

IMG_0410.jpegLet’s do this again. Sign me up!

Bingo Game 57

———————————-
1. CVargo
2. Spider

I'll sign up and maybe figure it out ....... Not feeling good so im kind of out of it right now .....

Bingo Game 57

———————————-
1. CVargo
2. Spider
3. Jaro1069

Oh ya.

Bingo Game 57

———————————-
1. CVargo
2. Spider
3. Jaro1069
4. NurseDave

I hope we can get this game in before I have to go on the 3 state Baby Shower-apalooza. So I could potentially go broke and lose at Bingo.

Bingo Game 57

———————————-
1. CVargo
2. Spider
3. Jaro1069
4. NurseDave
5. Heysi

Bingo Game 57

Oopsie

———————————-
1. CVargo
2. Spider
3. Jaro1069
4. NurseDave
5. Heysi
6. BarberDave

Ok. I’m going to be sending out the cards for you guys to place your ships shortly.

Some clarification for you folks about the new “submarine ping” option.

You will announce in the thread that you are going to ping.

Then in a PM tell me 1: which card (send me Card Number); 2: which square you are pinging (send me the bingo call); 3: where the ping is originating (must be a square covered by a submarine on your card).

I will send you (and you alone) a PM with 1 of 2 things: a (sorry you have pinged a ship, the location of the ping will be shared with the other players) or b (map of the other players card done in minesweeper style).

Ok, so here is a concrete example.

PlayerDave announces in thread :
“I’m going to ping”

Then you send me a PM with card number and a bingo call
“Hey Eric, I’d like to ping card 16; G58”

And you’ll get:
IMG_0142.jpeg

For a card that to me looks like this:

IMG_7062.jpeg

So, the ping travels through open water only (note it doesn’t reach the bottom right corner) and the number tells you how many ship occupied squares are adjacent to it. So this could be a major benefit to you if used judiciously.

So @EMG06 if I understand the ping rules as you've just described them.......pinging someone effectively shows me exactly where all of their ships are on their card? Why wouldn't we all ping on the first day and just make the game a 9 day ship sinking fest?

Back