The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bingo Game #44 : Battleship x Bingo

EMG06

"TSC's Bingo Admiral"
Bingo Game #44

Battleship x Bingo

Ahoy there! While you thought I might’ve been killed by that pesky whale the last game, it turns out that I, Starbuck, survived (and have lived into the next century). The year is 1917 and the world has found itself in a great war. As a good Quaker, I will follow the Friends Peace Testimony, and refuse to partake in the fighting, but one of you will emerge the victor.

Welcome to a bingo x battleship mashup! While still being nautically themed, this game is going to be a little different than a normal bingo game. Rather than puzzles galore (like my last game), I’m going to be taking a step back.

This game will be a gigantic game of battleship between all the players, with me acting as a moderator/referee more than a caller.

How this will work:

Sign-ups start today.

Once people have signed up, I will send them a card.

As in any game of Battleship, you must place 3 ships on the card:
  1. Battleship (covers 4 squares)
  2. Submarine (covers 3 squares)
  3. Destroyer (covers 2 squares)
Battleships and Destroyers can only be placed in a row or column (no diagonals).

Submarines can be placed in a row, column, or on a diagonal.

2 Ships cannot be placed on the same square.

If done properly 9 squares will be covered by a ship and 16 squares will remain uncovered.
Once you have decided where to put your ships, you must send me a copy of your sheet with those spaces marked so I can keep track of everyone’s gameplay.

I will post the unmarked cards publicly on the thread (so you can see each other’s numbers and plan your calling strategy), but the positions of your ships will be a secret between you and the caller (loose lips sink ships after all).

The first calls will be on Monday October 17th.

Daily gameplay is as follows:

1. I will post a morning announcement saying that it is time to make calls.
  2. You, the players, have the opportunity to post a valid standard American Bingo Hall bingo call (1-75) in the official bingo thread. You may only make 1 call a day. Once that call is posted, it cannot be altered if it is outside of the normal editing window. There will be no recaps. An invalid call or repeat call will be a lost opportunity for the player who made that call (i.e. I am not giving you a do-over if you mess up).
  3. Near the end of the day, I will post again saying that the window for making a call for that day is now over.
  4. The number of calls in any given day will be equal to the number of players still in the game. If a player does not post a call within the wide calling window (which will be at least 8 hours), I will make one on their behalf using a predetermined set of bingo calls that will be run before the official gameplay starts.
  5. Calls will be collected and posted in a fixed order at the end of the day (in case timing matters towards the end of the game). Each day the player making the “official first call” will change (for example Day 1 order is A,B,C,D; Day 2 B,C,D,A; Day 3 C,D,A,B; Day 4 D,A,B,C; Day 5 A,B,C,D). So it doesn’t matter what time you post your call on the thread, just your call position within the larger group for that day.
  6. At the end of each day, I will post up a picture of everyone’s cards with the hits/misses marked.

If all 3 of your vessels are sunk, you are out of the running to win and can no longer make a daily call.

2 ways to win:

1. Be the last player standing with a floating boat.
  2. Have all of your blank spaces filled while still having at least 1 floating boat.

The terms of your voyage contract are as follows:

1. Sign-ups are open starting right now. Due to the nature of the gameplay, no late entrants will be allowed.

2. You must be a TSC member in good standing, with at least 10 meaningful posts. Hopefully this will encourage at least some of our newer members to jump in!

3. Spirited banter is highly encouraged, but be a gentleman in all interactions.

4. Calls must be Standard American Bingo Hall calls, consisting of the Letters: B, I, N, G, or O and their corresponding Numbers: 1-75 (Examples: B2, I18, N42, G55, O69). Numbers found without the corresponding letter are not valid calls.

5. The number of calls in any given day will be equal to the number of players.

Calls will be found only on the official Bingo Game #44 thread.

6. Calls must be clearly recognizable and posted in the thread to be considered valid in this game.

7. Bingo cards: Each player will receive 1 Card, which will be sent via PM before the game begins. You may print out your cards, or keep it digital. As calls are received mark them on your cards. You must place your three ships on the card and send me a copy of the card before the first official call to be in the running to win this game (as explained above).

8. The winner will be announced by me at the time of a win (as explained above). The person I announce as the winner is the winner. There are no ties.

9. The winner of this game will receive the following:

The highly coveted Bingo Wizard Badge and bragging rights!

The honor of being the caller of the next Bingo game (to be started within 4 weeks of winning--no bogarting the badge!).

An additional prize may be offered at the discretion of the caller (callers are not required to offer a prize). See below for more on prizes this game.

10. These rules must be posted by the caller before each game, edited for the specifics of their game.

11. If you have any questions, or if any rule needs clarification, let the caller know. The caller has the final say in any questions, disputes, or clarifications regarding calls/rules.

12. Have Fun! Or, Go Crazy! But..... Why Not Both??

Because this is a new format Bingo game, please ask any questions you have about gameplay/rules before we get underway publicly on this thread and I will respond. I’m hoping this mashup leads to a very player driven, participation heavy iteration of Bingo.

Last edited:
*************************************************************************************************************************************

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #44 Sign ups

CALLER: EMG06

Would we announce it if someone sinks our ship? Or is that more something that the rest of the people wouldn't know until the person is dining with Davey Jones?

Would we announce it if someone sinks our ship? Or is that more something that the rest of the people wouldn't know until the person is dining with Davey Jones?
At the end of the day I’ll post up everyone’s card with hits/misses for all to see, but I do not plan on telling everyone about number of surviving ships. I’ll only make an announcement if all 3 ships are sunk and you’re out of the game.

Feel free to announce your losses as you see fit.

Ooooh, I skipped some of the details. I thought we just played until we had enough spots marked that would represent those ships. Now we're back to if you miss one important call you're hosed.

Ooooh, I skipped some of the details. I thought we just played until we had enough spots marked that would represent those ships. Now we're back to if you miss one important call you're hosed.
Nope. All calls are going to be posted clearly by the players in this thread only, otherwise they won’t count (see above).

I honestly think I thought through most of the details of this game to make it fun for you guys and difficult to game/rig. If anyone sees anything in the rules that I put above that would create trouble or could be a loophole that I didn’t see, please let me know.

Superb idea Eric!

Allow me to be the first non-pansy who posts and signs up.

*************************************************************************************************************************************

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #44 Sign ups

1. GearNoir

This has the potential to be either very exciting or entirely too aggravating to describe.....I'M IN!!!

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #44 Sign ups

1. GearNoir
2. Heysi

I’m hoping this mashup leads to a very player driven,
What he's really hoping is a game where nobody gets angry towards the current Bingo Wizard....

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #44 Sign ups

1. GearNoir
2. Heysi
3. Spider

1664835533986.jpeg
As far as I know, it is impossible to avoid the anger of the pitchfork wielding mob. And as far as I know, this official appearing certificate has not been awarded since my last time calling.

Also, irony. I got the idea for this mashup back in my last game when a player posted the following:
Forum shows he was online today. Did he give up on the last day?

View attachment 731751664835564572.png

Copy/Paste:
Bingo Game #44 Sign ups

1. GearNoir
2. Heysi
3. Spider
4. NurseDave

Back