The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

beginish’s Eye on a Splintered Mind

Today's lesson, Grasshopper, is never rush. DE blades are in a 'safety razor,' but that don't mean they're safe. Cruising around my chin this morning, I tried to do a K turn under my lip and I sliced, not nicked, sliced. Not a big one, but a stingy one. As in yes, that's ouchy, and boy was I glad I'm not using an alcohol based AS. Look down at my neck, and I've got 3 weepers. What the heck was I doing this morning?
No shame, I’ve cut myself decently with a Tech before!
I can relate. Despite using straights quite often with no mishaps, I got a ton of weepers the last couple shaves with a Tech2. Going too fast and pushing too hard gives a very thorough exfoliation. :ROFLMAO:

Current dilemma....I’ve got so much gear from over the years that I haven’t purchased anything since 2015. This followed active attempts at sabbatical that failed, and I just fell into not getting anything.

I still have like 10 years worth of soap. In any case, we have a pharmacy in town called Pickwick Pharmacy that stocks a bunch of gear. It’s not Pasteur’s in NYC by any means, but heck, it has Arko, Kent, Omega and a bunch of other stuff, including brushes.

Last time I stopped in, they had Kent boars, and I’m tempted to pick one up. But I’m also thinking of AS. Keeping in mind that they have no artisan stuff, I need some suggestions. I like something floral or Lime or just understated. What should I look for?

Current dilemma....I’ve got so much gear from over the years that I haven’t purchased anything since 2015. This followed active attempts at sabbatical that failed, and I just fell into not getting anything.

I still have like 10 years worth of soap. In any case, we have a pharmacy in town called Pickwick Pharmacy that stocks a bunch of gear. It’s not Pasteur’s in NYC by any means, but heck, it has Arko, Kent, Omega and a bunch of other stuff, including brushes.

Last time I stopped in, they had Kent boars, and I’m tempted to pick one up. But I’m also thinking of AS. Keeping in mind that they have no artisan stuff, I need some suggestions. I like something floral or Lime or just understated. What should I look for?
If you're talking Aftershaves and lime you must get some Avon Island Lime somewhere 2nd hand. Absolutely the best lime out there bar none.

I’ve taken out a Lea shave stick (more recent formulation with tallow and lanolin) to mix into my 3017 regimen with the Harris Arlington. It won’t be like using Irisch Moos, but that stuff must be preserved.

Man, that Lea shave stick gave a fantastic lather this morning. It has the density/consistency of the Valobra or Wilkie shave sticks, and it didn't take much rubbing on 3 days of growth to take up more than enough soap for the Rudy Vey synthetic to deal with. It made a really rich, slick lather and the lanolin in the soap left me with a great post shave feel. Topped off with the Cade ASB (maybe 2 weeks left, probably 1 for this tube), and I was ready for the early spring wind chills that Mother Nature conjured up this morning.

Coming up on the very end of a full sized tube of Cade ASB. I’ve had this for probably 5 years, and it got lost in the shuffle of AS in my den. It’s a cream and is only suitable for winter, so this fall/winter, I put the partially used tube to the 3017 rack.

Postshave feel has been stellar, and the scent is fantastic. Woodsy, very juniper and I wish they still made the old Cade splash. I could live in this scent. I have a puck of the shave soap in reserve, and sometime in the 2020’s, I will thoroughly enjoy it again.

Back