The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Baseball rules

Now I'm not a baseball official but I believe if the count is full meaning 3 balls 2 strikes. If the catcher does not catch the pitch that would result in a 3rd strike the runner can attempt to make it to first base. Right?

Reactions: Z-2
Thanks to all :)

Ok I watched this game :

1) If you see on 23:20 ; 1:00:20 or 1:28:20, this is about my second question. Batter hits the ball, but scores are without change.
2) after 40 min the offensive team gets 2nd and 3rd base, but lost 1st base? Is this possible? (3 inning). Sometimes runners are situated on 1st and 3rd base. How they lose the 2nd base? (1:24:10)
3) what exactly happens on 48:50 ? the teams has changed their places after that, maybe the batter is OUT?
4) on 1:15:10 batter missed to hit the ball, but he runs to 1st base? Little confused about that.

I am still thinking, the fist column is for balls, and second for strikes? You see correct me if I am wrong.

Now I'm not a baseball official but I believe if the count is full meaning 3 balls 2 strikes. If the catcher does not catch the pitch that would result in a 3rd strike the runner can attempt to make it to first base. Right?
Yes.

1. Those are foul balls. They add a strike up to two strikes. After that,in the same at bat, you can hit an infinite number of fouls and the count remains the same.

PHEW I watch a lot of baseball but it's usually at the local AAA ball park and well the beer is always so good!

According your avatar, you may just prefer American football than baseball :) Another complicated games for anyone in EU :unsure:o_O

2. That is due to a fielders choice of which out to take or considering there is no option to tag the runner physically with the ball you must go to first.

4. Batter ‘broke the plane’ with his bat which the umpire considers a swing. Third strike. The catcher did not cleanly catch the ball so he had to physically tag the runner with the ball to complete the out so the batter could not attempt an advance to first.

@Z-2 do you understand what he means by "force out"?

Not so sure, I found this video : Force Play

I found this explain :
"A force out (aka force play) is made when a baserunner is forced to leave his base when the batter becomes a baserunner himself, and a fielder successfully tags the next base before the runner can reach it. No run can score on a play in which the final out of the inning is recorded on a force out, even if the runner crossed the plate before the final out was recorded.

From the official rules:

FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. Confusion regarding this play is removed by remembering that frequently the "force" situation is removed during the play. Example: Man on first, one out, ball hit sharply to first baseman who touches the bag and batter runner is out. The force is removed at that moment and runner advancing to second must be tagged. If there had been a runner on third or second, and either of these runners scored before the tag out at second, the run counts. Had the first baseman thrown to second and the ball then had been returned to first, the play at second was a force out, making two outs, and the return throw to first ahead of the runner would have made three outs. In that case, no run would score.
Any runner is out when ... (e) He fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner. However, if a following runner is put out on a force play, the force is removed and the runner must be tagged to be put out. "

I will search more videos about this one ! :) A lot of new terminology for me, but I get the idea finally :)

Not so sure, I found this video : Force Play

I found this explain :
"A force out (aka force play) is made when a baserunner is forced to leave his base when the batter becomes a baserunner himself, and a fielder successfully tags the next base before the runner can reach it. No run can score on a play in which the final out of the inning is recorded on a force out, even if the runner crossed the plate before the final out was recorded.

From the official rules:

FORCE PLAY is a play in which a runner legally loses his right to occupy a base by reason of the batter becoming a runner. Confusion regarding this play is removed by remembering that frequently the "force" situation is removed during the play. Example: Man on first, one out, ball hit sharply to first baseman who touches the bag and batter runner is out. The force is removed at that moment and runner advancing to second must be tagged. If there had been a runner on third or second, and either of these runners scored before the tag out at second, the run counts. Had the first baseman thrown to second and the ball then had been returned to first, the play at second was a force out, making two outs, and the return throw to first ahead of the runner would have made three outs. In that case, no run would score.
Any runner is out when ... (e) He fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base, after he has been forced to advance by reason of the batter becoming a runner. However, if a following runner is put out on a force play, the force is removed and the runner must be tagged to be put out. "

I will search more videos about this one ! :) A lot of new terminology for me, but I get the idea finally :)
Wow!

Nobody on base and batter hits a ground ball to the second baseman. Second baseman throws ball to first baseman who catches the ball cleanly and steps on first to record the ‘force out’. First base is generally a force out play. However, the runner can be tagged before reaching the bag and is also out. A bad throw to a first baseman may cause him to lift his foot off the bag but he can still tag the runner before he reaches the bag to record the out.

On this game I want to ask am I right with my thoughts :

At 18:00 min we have 2 batters from offensive team out, and 1 base occupied. When the 3rd batter hits the ball, the runner on 1st base moves to second and then occupied 3rd base, and the batter goes to first and occupied second base? Correct me if I am wrong :)
What was the scenario to take a point or home run? I mean if there are 1 runner on base and the batter have home run, the point are 2, if there are 2 runners -3, and runners on every base with batter - 4 points (max).

Thanks !

You only score a point when a runner crosses home plate. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd base are just steps to get there. Each at-bat a player tries to get around as many bases as he can trying to get to home plate. If he makes it to first, yet still has time to get to 2nd or third he can try. This will leave the bases behind him empty, which is a good thing, because his isn’t forced to move to the next base when the next batter hits, if it might present a dangerous situation , and he escapes being forced out by someone getting the ball and tagging the base in front of him, he would need to be tagged directly to get out.

Back