The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Banal Blatherings of a Toothsome Blade Wielder

SharptoothC

Jr. Shave Member
Some call me...

...Chris.

I am a happily married middle aged balding father of three uniquely personalitied progeny, each of which I love dearly.

I owe part of my marital bliss to my rediscovery of wet shaving. After growing weary of tossing countless hard earned dollars at cartridge razors that inevitably left me with razor bumps that reminded my of my acne-riddled youth (and a subsequent and mercifully brief dalliance with a ghastly electric "razor") I gave up on shaving altogether and toyed around with a hobo impression that my wife was none too pleased with. One day I took my eldest daughter to Sally's Beauty Supply and found a single cheap DE razor. It reminded me of my grandpa's old razor, and curiosity got the best of me. I took it home, butchered my face, and went back to being a hobo for a while. But I hate quitting and I hate something getting the best of me. So I took out the butcher blade again, joined a couple of wet shave places and now, many years later, my wife is happy to be seen together with me. She will even kiss my cheek. And I no longer call her the War Department.

I have a bit of an obsessive personality and, unfortunately, not the space to be a hoarder of large items (my guitars are currently very claustrophobic). Razors are small. They don't take up much space, right? Well, one does not. 50+? Well, 50+ razors plus enough soap to shave a herd of yeti for 10 years and a collection of blades and aftershaves and such later, well...I am now on the tail end of a 2 year no-buy. Well. Sort of.

I just bought my first soap in 2 years. It found a tube of Proraso Blue cream at Ross on clearance for less than $.50. And I had to finally replace my puck of Williams.

I may post a detailed listing of my hoard later. I have been working towards moving away from obtaining and simplifying my setup of late. I have a strong preference towards vintage razors. I have stored most of my collection and am trying to focus on enjoying a few items. My current little rotation that I am allowing myself is as follows:

Razors:
GEM Clog-Pruf
Gillette Fat Boy
Weck Sextoblade

Blades:
SE - Personna GEM
DE - never met a Voskhod I didn't like. Also working through a box of Shark blades.
Weck - Personna Hair Shaper

Brushes - I have reduced my collection to two, as they are all I need:
- Maggard Plissoft
- Custom 30 Day Crew handle turned by our very own @JTSpartan and fitted with a Tuxedo knot.

Soaps (don't worry, dozens more wait in the wings!):
- Mitchell's Wool Fat
- Williams
- Institute Karite
- Proraso Blue, Green and Red
- Tabac
- Stirling Iced Pineapple

Aftershave:
-Proraso Green
-Fine American Blend
-Fine Platinum
-Florida Water

I am most assuredly NOT chosen by Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. My wife may disagree, but I am certain of it.

And an obscene collection of colognes and EDT's. I hate to stink. Depending on my fragrance choice, my wife may beg to differ.

Always glad to answer questions, go into further detail as time allows, and engage in shenanigans.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Some call me...

...Chris.

I am a happily married middle aged balding father of three uniquely personalitied progeny, each of which I love dearly.

I owe part of my marital bliss to my rediscovery of wet shaving. After growing weary of tossing countless hard earned dollars at cartridge razors that inevitably left me with razor bumps that reminded my of my acne-riddled youth (and a subsequent and mercifully brief dalliance with a ghastly electric "razor") I gave up on shaving altogether and toyed around with a hobo impression that my wife was none too pleased with. One day I took my eldest daughter to Sally's Beauty Supply and found a single cheap DE razor. It reminded me of my grandpa's old razor, and curiosity got the best of me. I took it home, butchered my face, and went back to being a hobo for a while. But I hate quitting and I hate something getting the best of me. So I took out the butcher blade again, joined a couple of wet shave places and now, many years later, my wife is happy to be seen together with me. She will even kiss my cheek. And I no longer call her the War Department.

I have a bit of an obsessive personality and, unfortunately, not the space to be a hoarder of large items (my guitars are currently very claustrophobic). Razors are small. They don't take up much space, right? Well, one does not. 50+? Well, 50+ razors plus enough soap to shave a herd of yeti for 10 years and a collection of blades and aftershaves and such later, well...I am now on the tail end of a 2 year no-buy. Well. Sort of.

I just bought my first soap in 2 years. It found a tube of Proraso Blue cream at Ross on clearance for less than $.50. And I had to finally replace my puck of Williams.

I may post a detailed listing of my hoard later. I have been working towards moving away from obtaining and simplifying my setup of late. I have a strong preference towards vintage razors. I have stored most of my collection and am trying to focus on enjoying a few items. My current little rotation that I am allowing myself is as follows:

Razors:
GEM Clog-Pruf
Gillette Fat Boy
Weck Sextoblade

Blades:
SE - Personna GEM
DE - never met a Voskhod I didn't like. Also working through a box of Shark blades.

- Maggard Plissoft
- Custom 30 Day Crew handle turned by our very own @JTSpartan and fitted with a Tuxedo knot.

- Mitchell's Wool Fat
- Williams
- Institute Karite
- Tabac

Aftershave:
-Proraso Green
-Fine American Blend
-Fine Platinum
-Florida Water

I am most assuredly NOT chosen by Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. My wife may disagree, but I am certain of it.

And an obscene collection of colognes and EDT's. I hate to stink. Depending on my fragrance choice, my wife may beg to differ.

Always glad to answer questions, go into further detail as time allows, and engage in shenanigans.

Good to see you, Chris. Great intro!

Some call me...

...Chris.

Razors:
GEM Clog-Pruf
Gillette Fat Boy
Weck Sextoblade

Blades:
SE - Personna GEM

- Maggard Plissoft

- Mitchell's Wool Fat
- Williams
- Institute Karite
- Tabac

Aftershave:
-Proraso Green
-Fine American Blend
-Fine Platinum
-Florida Water

Great first entry! I too could go on a very long shave purchase sabbatical, but who would I be afterwards???

Attachments

• 1634563325393.gif
    1634563325393.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I approve of this list! FB and Weck are definitely my favorite DE & Shavette. Favorite SE is the Streamline or the MMOC. You don't see too much talk around here about the Wecks, so it's nice to meet another fan.
I've gathered a handful of Wecks over the years. For my money, they are the shavette that feels most like a straight. I just don't have the time to upkeep a blade. Wecks scratch that itch for me.

I've gathered a handful of Wecks over the years. For my money, they are the shavette that feels most like a straight. I just don't have the time to upkeep a blade. Wecks scratch that itch for me.

I feel exactly the same way about the new Tedalus Essence! when loaded with a Feather Super, it feels exactly like shave with a regular straight!
7F7FCDFC-B072-4887-A312-CD3A114F9402.jpeg

Back