The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Avon Vintage Aftershaves!

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
There can't be an after shave and fragrance section without a vintage Avon section. I have probably about 30 or so samples...thanks to KJ @Spider...but I only have four actual bottles of the stuff. I currently have: Everest (@bobmsp helped me out with that), Island Lime, Windjammer, and Leather. Island Lime might be the longest lasting lime after shave out there. Everest might be my favorite. I absolutely LOVE Bravo, but I haven't found it out in the wild yet. I cannot stand Wild Country though...and unfortunately, that is what I find almost all the time.

So what are your faves and recent finds? What is your collection? What can't you find that you want the most? What do you hate?

Show us your vintage Avon after shave .

Well THAT was a bad idea. I've never thought of trying vintage aftershaves so I just looked on Ebay to see what the market is. Searched for the Everest scent you mention and there are several bottles of different shapes that aren't that much money. I really have no space to start trying these thing. I really don't.

What? Where have you been? I have hundreds of these Avon bottles, and gallons of the aftershave, quite literally. LOL
Well, the Old Spice, Aqua Velva etc are just not my scents. But it sounds like there is more than old guy smell with Avon stuff.

I'll admit that there are some Vintage Avon scents I am not crazy about. But the vast majority of them are pretty nice. Despite the fact that they come in fancy bottles...they are very wearable.

Well, the Old Spice, Aqua Velva etc are just not my scents. But it sounds like there is more than old guy smell with Avon stuff.
Oh no, not even the same. The drug store aftershaves have their place, and I love them all, but Avon's scents are much more complex. Many of their scents are clones of other fragrances. But whoever they had mixing these things up really knew what they were doing and they used quality ingredients. None of them smell cheap, and despite some of them going back to the 1950's the scents all remain intact.

There is so much Vintage Avon in the world today, it's just crazy. If you take a gander at antique and thrift stores, you are almost sure to find a few bottles, and often for just a buck or two. That's how I get all of mine. The thing is they made a few hundred different shaped decanters, so until you know what to look for, you might look right at a bottle, and not realize it's an aftershave bottle. Once you get a feel for Avon's style and how the bottles look, you will see them everywhere.

Oh brother. This will be a gathering of like-minded obsessive collectors! Enjoy, gentleman. Not a fan of the Avon myself.

I have never tried any vintage either, mainly because I don't know what to look for. Anyone want to give us the rundown on the different scents that are readily available? Also, I know Avon does sell some A/S currently, is this still the same stuff, or did it change?

I have never tried any vintage either, mainly because I don't know what to look for. Anyone want to give us the rundown on the different scents that are readily available? Also, I know Avon does sell some A/S currently, is this still the same stuff, or did it change?

In my experience, the new Avon stuff isn't quite the same. The vintage stuff...all of them...have really good longevity and are not just alcohol, water, and scent. It feels like, well at least to me, that there are some healing ingredients in them also. There are a tone of scents out there...KJ @Spider can probably tell you more about it than I can. As he seems to be a Vintage Avon After Shave museum unto himself!

I'll talk about a couple....starting with probably the most found scent out there...Wild Country. I personally am not big on this scent. I just don't like it. I believe it is supposed to be a Pinaud Clubman Original type scent. Which makes sense, because I am not a Clubman guy either.

Island Lime is well...a lime after shave. But as I said before, I really think it is the only lime after shave out there that lasts more than an hour. Really good longevity.

Windjammer - With a name like Windjammer, I think Avon was going for something nautical. But it's not Old Spice, It's not Cool Water, it's not aquatic at all. To me, it smells like a spicy (think pepper) citrus after shave. This is one of my favorites.

Everest - By far my favorite Avon scent. It's a nice clean cool scent that seems to have something coniferous in it...maybe juniper. Think of an Avon version of Captains Choice North...just a little less forest-y. When I run out of mine and if I can't find anymore...I will seriously be sad.

Bravo - I only have a tiny bit of this left. But I enjoy this as well. It's a bit hard to describe. Think dark orange and oriental spice with a little musk.

I am sure others will come in and give us their impressions of some other Avon Scents!

Is it safe to say any Avon AS found is vintage?

Ok ok, I ordered Windjammer and Everest.

I used Everest for the first time today and was left perplexed. Wondering what this is actually supposed to smell like? I was expecting an aquatic scent. Anyone know what the notes are?

I used Everest for the first time today and was left perplexed. Wondering what this is actually supposed to smell like? I was expecting an aquatic scent. Anyone know what the notes are?

Chad, I found this description:

Everest by Avon is a fragrance for men. Everest was launched in 1975. The fragrance features citruses, lavender, woody notes, pine tree, violet leaf, mint, nutmeg, sandalwood, tobacco, patchouli, and vanilla.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Avon/Everest-47717.html

Chad, I found this description:

Everest by Avon is a fragrance for men. Everest was launched in 1975. The fragrance features citruses, lavender, woody notes, pine tree, violet leaf, mint, nutmeg, sandalwood, tobacco, patchouli, and vanilla.

https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Avon/Everest-47717.html

Okay now I am left more confused LOL. I am going to have to sniff again when I get home. I get the lavender, but the others. I don't know.

Okay now I am left more confused LOL. I am going to have to sniff again when I get home. I get the lavender, but the others. I don't know.

This was my personal take on Everest from above...

Everest - By far my favorite Avon scent. It's a nice clean cool scent that seems to have something coniferous in it...maybe juniper. Think of an Avon version of Captains Choice North...just a little less forest-y. When I run out of mine and if I can't find anymore...I will seriously be sad.

It’s a fragrance for men. What more description do you need?

Back