The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

August Shave Theme: Back to Old School / Saponificio Varesino

18 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

Went with "Old School" Old Spice for today's shave. Having been around since 1937, it can definitely be classified as "Old School". Decided to go with the Barrister's Reserve version. One of my favorites!

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" Brush / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Barrister's Reserve "Spice" Aftershave Splash / Stirling Soap Co. "Stirling Spice" EdT

IMG-4167.jpg

19 august 2020
Mostly new stuff, but can't get much more Old School than a traditional grind Japanese Kamisori

ZL2vwwz.jpg

19 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a pleasant night.

Went with a (loose) "Old School" Acqua Di Parma Colonia shave today. According to their website, AdP has been in business since 1916 and has been one of my favorite scents for years.

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / RazoRock "Gold Label" (AdP) Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 "Noir"
PAA DOC / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Nivea 2-in-1 Aftershave / Acqua Di Parma Colonia EdC

IMG-4175.jpg

Great old school Clubman shave this morning to kick start my day off. Happy Friday Cadre!

Friday August 21st, 2020
Razor : Schick Krona
Blade : Gillette Platinum
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Soap : CBL Tonsorial Club CBL

1d177f8e8203bb4ba117461bff12194a.jpg

IMG_20200821_105433.jpg

Old School Theme Shave

Gillette Fat Handle Tech (1938-1945)
Gillette TTO Flair Tip/Black Tip 1956
Gillette Silver Blues in both (1)
Thater 4125/4 Silvertip Fan 30mm
Rattlestick's Fierce Pre-Shave Cream
Arsenal Grooming's Prohibition
Alum
Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel
Dr. Jon's Black Label Aftershave
Penhaligon's Endymion Balm

Old School Shave with the Razor today

Monday August 24, 2020
Razor: Bigelow Parkin Travel Razor
Blade: Wizamet (4)
Brush: Rubberset 400 / Cashmere
Soap: BVLGARI Man in Black
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Nivea Men Deep
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence

Today's shave was to enjoy the scent. The soap is a good lathering soap on 2nd use. Much better lather than last time. Zero residual slickness and a little drying on the skin but aftershave products erased that and my skin feels smooth and refreshed. Took the B&P Travel razor (circa 1921-1934) for a spin. I love this simple little design and it gives a great efficient shave but will make you pay if you don't watch your technique. I was paying attention and was rewarded. It's going to be a long one for me....................Have a great day Cadre !!!
IMG_20200823_200830885.jpg

25 August, 2020

Back to an "Old School" themed shave today. Proraso is one of my all-time favorite scents, especially the green splash. So when Phoenix Shaving came out with a shave soap with a scent based on it, I had to score a tub. Gotta say, It smells exactly like the splash! Of course my trusty '64 Gillette Slim and the Phoenix Shaving "Peregrino" brush which is patterned after an Ever-Ready 500E.

26f384be111763224a1c9cb734240cbb.jpg

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" / PAA "Awesome Sauce" Shave Soap
1964 Gillette Slim / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Proraso Green Aftershave Splash

IMG-4209.jpg

Back to Old School this morning with some of my favorite drug store products. These "budget" shaves always reiterate to me that I don't need expensive products to get a great shave. I'd put this one toe-to-toe with any of my best with significantly more expensive software.

Tuesday August 24th, 2020
Razor : '52 Gillette Bakelite Tech
Blade : KCG
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Pre : Barbasol Original
Soap : Williams Mug

IMG_20200825_094759.jpg

26 August, 2020

"Old Schooling" it back to 1973 with Paco Rabanne Pour Homme this morning. Love this frag!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / PAA "Doppelganger Green" (Paco Rabanne Pour Homme)
1964 Gillette Slim / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Paco Rabanne Pour Homme Aftershave Splash

IMG-4229.jpg

27 August, 2020

"Old Schooling" it back to the 70's again today with some vintage Avon "Tai Winds". This is without a doubt my favorite Avon scent!

Hope you have a great day!! :)

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket" / PAA "GArden of Bali" Shave Soap / 1964 Gillette Slim
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Vintage Avon "Tai Winds" Aftershave Splash / Vintage Avon "Tai Winds" EdC

IMG-4238a.jpg

Saturday August 29, 2020
Razor: Paradigm Diamondback
Blade: Wizamet (5)
Brush: SV TSC LE 2.0 Olivewood
Soap: Stirling Hipster
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Stirling Hipster
Fragrance: Scuderia Ferrari Black

1st use with my Group Buy Limited Edition SV brush by Saponificio Varesino . Bloomed out nicely !
IMG_20200829_060729625.jpgIMG_20200829_060827919.jpg

A lot of great shaves gents! Sorry I have been mostly absent from this month's shave themes. Life has just been a little weird for me lately. And I expect it to stay a little weird for a while coming. But I will try to do my best at participating more next month. I'll have a new theme up this weekend. Thanks for playing along guys!

A lot of great shaves gents! Sorry I have been mostly absent from this month's shave themes. Life has just been a little weird for me lately. And I expect it to stay a little weird for a while coming. But I will try to do my best at participating more next month. I'll have a new theme up this weekend. Thanks for playing along guys!
Good to see you Don. Weird Don = okay......Weird Life ? Hope it smooths out for you buddy 👍

31 August, 2020

Good morning Cadre! Hope you had a great weekend.

Finishing out August with an old school shave featuring a razor I had actually forgot I had! It's a 1958 Flare Tip Super Speed TV Special (D-1). Great shave! Two pass and a touch up was all I needed today! Also the soap scent is a homage to that old school classic, "Brylcreem". Haven't smelled that stuff in a long time and it immediately made me think of my grandfather. Definitely goes into that "Barber shop" category of scent (IMO anyway). All-in-all, a great way to close out the month.

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Immortal Peach" Preshave Soap / Techichi Tech Hive Synth / PAA "DAB" Shave Soap / 1958 Gillette SS Flare Tip
Gillette Nacet / Alum / Williams "Aqua Velva" Aftershave / Avon "Deep Woods" EdC

IMG-4259.jpg

Back