The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

August Shave Theme: Back to Old School / Saponificio Varesino

5 August, 2020

"Back to Old School" shave theme in full force today. I mean, what's more "old school" than Bay Rum??? Answer: Not much! By some accounts, using the oil of the West Indies Bay Leaf as a fragrance goes back to the 16th century. It is one of my all-time favorite fragrances.

Phoenix Shaving & Barrister and Mann both produce an excellent bay rum scented product. I'd say they're tied for #1 for me. Today I went with the slightly drier Barrister & Mann version.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Barrister & Mann "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / PAA "The Starcraft" / 1961 Gillette Fat Boy
Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Barrister & Mann "Bay Rum" Aftershave Splash / PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum EdP

IMG-4115.jpg

First shave with the full tub of Sunny Lane this morning. I wasn't ever really a fan of B&M and hadn't purchased a tub since the original release Dickens back in 2013. Maggard's was offering samples of this one which caught my eye and I really enjoyed both the scent and performance. This really hits the back-to-school theme for me as the scent profile takes me right back to being 7 years old and playing at our local park with the next door neighbors. I'm not sure how Will did it, but it really works for me and I love it.

Wednesday August 5th, 2020
Razor : '57 Gillette Red Tip
Blade : Sputnik
Brush : Yaqi Tuxedo Barberpole
Soap : B&M Sunny Lane

IMG_20200805_082627.jpg

6 August, 2020

For today's shave I went with a couple of "old school" selections. According to the Barrister and Mann website, "Cologne Russe" is:
Based on one of the oldest forms of perfume, Cologne Russe is a throwback to a scent created by the House of Guerlain for the Russian royal family.
I did some research and it seems there were actually two versions of this cologne; namely "Eau de Cologne Imperiale Russe" and "Eau de Cologne Russe" created in 1840 & 1850 respectively. The former was made solely for the Russian aristocracy and the latter for courtiers and citizens. So I wonder which one the soap's based on. The "blue blood" version or the "hoi pollloi" version? :unsure:

Finished with a splash of 4711 with a dab of 444 gel mixed in. 4711's pedigree is well established, having existed (in various forms) since 1799. "Old school" indeed!

Hope you have a great day!!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Barrister and Mann "Cologne Russe" Shave Soap / Stirling Soap Co. "Kong"
PAA DOC Razor / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / 444 + 4711 EdC

IMG-4122.jpg

Last edited:
SV for Thursday 08.06.2020
OidtQhn.jpg

I'm calling this an old school shave because of the Krona and the Proraso Green.

Prep: Hot shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap, Proraso Green Pre-shave cream
Razor: Schick Krona
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Brush: Simpson Berkeley 46 Best Badger
Cream: Proraso Green
Post-shave: Humphreys Maravilla
After-Shave: Proraso Green
Talc: Borotalco
Frag: Nautica EdT

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Old school for me this morning was using the good 'ol Barbasol Original coupled with the 37c for a quick but efficient TGIF shave. The heat is beginning to return to Chicagoland after an unseasonably mild 2-ish weeks so mixed up some 50/50 blend of Osage and Skin Bracer in preparation.

Friday August 7th, 2020
Razor : Merkur 37c
Blade : Sputnik
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Cream : Barbasol Original
Post : Thayer's Coconut Water and 50:50 Skin Bracer & Osage

IMG_20200807_081158.jpg

7 August, 2020

Went with a Brut themed shave today for "Old School August". I think I may have gotten an older tub when I ordered the "ET TU" soap. The scent is there but barely.. Normally with Phoenix Shaving soaps the scent really pops. Not this time. Great soap though! Love the CK-6 base.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "ET TU" Shave Soap / PAA "Chill Mill" / PAA "The Peregrino" Brush
Gillette 1961 Fat Boy / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / Brut Aftershave Balm

IMG-4132.jpg

Old School Razor and Brush

Sunday August 9, 2020
Razor: Krect Spiral Slant
Blade: Wizamet with a Shim (4)
Brush: Rubberset 400/Cashmere
Soap: Ethos/CBL Soaps Fresh Lime
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Ethos/CBL Soaps Fresh Lime Skin Food Splash
Fragrance: Aqva Amara

On recommendation of another Krect Owner I added a shim under the blade which widens the gap and also stiffens the hold when the blade is locked in. Smooth shave when you pay attention. There's NO WAY a straight could get a closer shave than this provides when operated as intended. As I sip some coffee and write this my face is still chilled form the some and splash. GREAT shave for sure. Hope all in the Cadre have a great Sunday !!
IMG_20200808_160145611.jpg

"Old school" to me this morning to kick off "Shark Week." I got this tuck of Shark SS with my Maggard's start kit when I first began wet shaving back in 2014. Used 4 of them at the very beginning and then buried them in my den, the last blade untouched until this morning. Combined with my Schick Krona it gave a nice shave. Nothing spectacular but no complains either.

Sunday August 9th, 2020
Razor : Schick Krona
Blade : Shark SS
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Soap : Arko
Post : Thayer's Coconut Water and 50:50 Skin Bracer & Osage

800d3c73c755f2cf592453464a67a05b.jpg

Monday August 10, 2020
Razor: Star Lather Catcher
Blade: Gem Personna (?)
Brush: @Graydog Quilt
Soap: Ariana & Evans Revolution
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Ariana & Evans Revolution
Fragrance: Viktor & Rolf Spice Bomb

I guess this qualifies for an Old School shave theme as I'm using a Lather Catcher and have no running water in the house at the moment. Video is uploading now. Have a great day Cadre !!!!!
IMG_20200809_205728284.jpg

Back