The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

August Shave Theme: Back to Old School / Saponificio Varesino

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
July came and gone and we are still in this strange period of Stay at Home Orders, Mask Debates, and of course...Coronavirus. August and September is traditionally when the kiddies go back to school, as well as college aged kids. But this is a weird year...so who really knows. This theme was actually suggested by Ryan @Fightingillini22 and since I didn't have a better idea (I rarely do) I decided to run with it.

The Shave Theme for August is Back to Old School!

So let's pull out those Old School razors, brushes, soaps, and aftershaves that are instruments of a bygone era. Or show us those products and tools that remind you of yesteryear but were made today. Maybe you have a shave that reminds you of getting back to "way things were." Who knows....like the monthly shave themes before...there are no wrong answers!

Additionally, this month we will celebrate one of our newest Artisans... Saponificio Varesino @Marco SV !!! This is of course done in anticipation to the release of the The Shaving Cadre - Saponificio Varesino Brush Group Buy and in hopes that the brush is done this month and we can all show it off!

So in addition to the Back to Old School Theme...any Saponificio Varesino shave is right in there too!

Again...no wrong answers here...if you think it fits...it fits!

Happy Shaving to all!

I found an idea called "Arko August" over on that other shaving forum and while I'm not going to commit to a full month of Arko, I haven't used it in years and thought it'd be fun to use it more often.

Definitely feels like an "old school" soap to me as the scent reminds of the bars of hand soap my grammar school had in the bathrooms. And while grammar school boys weren't exactly great at always washing hands, there were plenty of wet soapy bars thrown at each other. Definitely am not put off by the scent. And I don't think anyone can argue with the performance.

Saturday August 1st, 2020
Razor : '52 Gillette Bakelite Tech
Blade : GSB
Brush : Rudy Vey Plisson
Soap : Arko

IMG_20200801_104033_244.jpg

Did "Old School" long enough recently with The Tonsorial Williams so went with an SV Brush and Old School photo 🤪
Sunday August 2, 2020
Razor: Razorock Lupo
Blade: Wizamet (2)
Brush: SV 2.0 Bamboo
Soap: Nuavia Rossa
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla
Aftershave 2: Nivea 2 into 1 Splash
Fragrance: Prada Luna Rossa Black
IMG_20200801_200941419.jpg

I went a little bit too old school with my razor choice, and now I've got a bit of razor burn. The soap was great though!

Prep: Hot shower, Musgo Real Lime Glyce Soap
Razor: Gillette Old Type
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super Badger
Soap: SV Opuntia
Post-shave: Humphreys Maravilla
After-Shave: Stirling Island Man
Talc: Borotalco

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Razor: Merkur - Progress
Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Master Barber - Dragon's Blood (Shave # 2)
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Thayers Cucumber
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - L'Orange Noir

Chris @CBLindsay recently sent me a puck of his newest @CBLSoap.com formulation, CBL Master Barber Soap. His Master Barber Soap line is like his Tonsorial Soaps...a throw back to old time pucks of soaps that maybe your dad or grandad used to shave their face. But in a nutshell, as it was explained to me, the Master Barber soaps are a lot like the Tonsorial versions, but with a little bit of the stuff you might find in his premium soaps that gives a great lather and makes your face feel terrific.

3 August, 2020

The razor itself may be new, but the design is an old one. Patented in 1945 the Shave King "Self Lubricating Grand Razor" never really took off due to Gillette's aggressive advertising campaign. Neat design! I'll have to keep an eye out for an original at a decent price. As far as the soap, lavender is about as "Old School" as it gets scent-wise!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / Fine "Lavender Pour Homme" Shave Soap / RazoRock 400 Noir Synth / PAA "DOC" Razor
Gillette Silver Blue Blade / Alum / 444 + Fine "Lavender Pour Homme" Aftershave Splash

IMG-4100.jpg

Weather took an unseasonably cool turn last night here in Chicagoland, feels more like end of September as opposed to beginning of August. But got me in the mood for a more autumn-y splash so reached for the Old Spice. Such a great old school scent, even the modern offering from P&G. I find decanting into glass does change the profile a bit and leans ever so slightly more towards the old Shulton formula.

🎶 look for the package with the ship that sails the ocean! 🎶

Monday August 3rd, 2020
Razor : '40s Super Speed
Blade : Sputnik
Brush : Omega 11575
Soap : Arko

IMG_20200803_093952.jpg

PclL4Fz.jpg

@Jaro1069 asked about my Weck, so I pulled it out for this morning’s old school shave.

View attachment 31615
Thanks for showing it but... Ahhhhh. Now I gotta find one of those too !!!! I looked on the bay and there are none of those right now.. I will check in some of the local antique stores as soon as I heal from the dentist appointment I had today...

4 August, 2020

Great shave today! Went "Old School" with the 1961 Fat Boy. Set it to a setting of 6 and the whiskers practically lept off my face. While the Phoenix Shaving brush is new, its design is based on an old school vintage Ever Ready brush.

Hope you have a great day!

PAA "Ice Cube 2.0" / PAA "Chill Mill" / PAA "St. Martin's Land" Shave Soap / PAA "Atomic Rocket"
1961 Gillette Fat Boy / Gillette Silver Blue / Alum / PAA "St. Martin's Land" Star Jelly

IMG-4108.jpg

@Dave in KY I see someone else using the Sputniks this week - funny since I rarely see them in SOTD pictures!

Feeling quite old school this morning with my re-knotted 100T, Prewar Canadian Tech and AV splash.

Tuesday August 4th, 2020
Razor : Prewar Canadian Tech
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Soap : Captain's Choice Nor'easter
Post : Thayer's Coconut Water and 3:1 blend of AV and Osage

IMG_20200804_092645.jpg

@Dave in KY I see someone else using the Sputniks this week - funny since I rarely see them in SOTD pictures!

Feeling quite old school this morning with my re-knotted 100T, Prewar Canadian Tech and AV splash.

Tuesday August 4th, 2020
Razor : Prewar Canadian Tech
Brush : Ever Ready 100T with Plisson knot
Soap : Captain's Choice Nor'easter
Post : Thayer's Coconut Water and 3:1 blend of AV and Osage

View attachment 31688
I usually stick with the Wizamets that I have plenty of but occasionally throw something else in for variety if it's handy and I've got a large selection of others to choose from. Sputnik's are smooth for me but they don't seem to have a lot of longevity.

Back