The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Anyone use Imaginary Authors scents?

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Just perusing Instagram - looks like the fragrance house Imaginary Authors did a collab with Noble Otter on a scent called Telegrama - which appears to be a barbershop-ish type scent by description. I kno

i know this is a fragrance area - but this is sort of a cross pollination

1612755085786.png*

1612755058012.png

Looks like serious business, like they really put some time and energy into it. If it smells as good as it looks, it’ll be a big seller. I might need to pick up some, I can’t seem to hold onto barbershop soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I did a sample set from them and seem to remember liking several. I own Cape Heartache which I really like and use as a pine scent with Stirling Christmas Eve AS. I haven’t smelled the one you’ve mentioned. I agree though, they don’t just throw scents together.

I haven't tried IA but have had my eye on some scents from them, just have to find samples.

They are a 100% legit niche house, really interesting to see them do a collaboration with Noble Otter. NO have some really good scents, their aftershave is already quite long last IME. (If you like barbershop, check out their Baarbaar.)

I did a sample set from them and seem to remember liking several. I own Cape Heartache which I really like and use as a pine scent with Stirling Christmas Eve AS. I haven’t smelled the one you’ve mentioned. I agree though, they don’t just throw scents together.
I am very tempted to give them a try.

I haven't tried IA but have had my eye on some scents from them, just have to find samples.

They are a 100% legit niche house, really interesting to see them do a collaboration with Noble Otter. NO have some really good scents, their aftershave is already quite long last IME. (If you like barbershop, check out their Baarbaar.)
Baarbaar is on the wishlist!

Looks like serious business, like they really put some time and energy into it. If it smells as good as it looks, it’ll be a big seller. I might need to pick up some, I can’t seem to hold onto barbershop soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same way - I am a sucker for barbershop scented soaps!

I think I found a saint from them that is right up my alley. I had Ginger’s Garden do a bespoke scent for me based on a mint julep - based on the scent notes it looks like IA Saint Julep would blend in quite nicely. And it’s got plenty in my wheelhouse - citrus ✔️✔️✔️ boozy ✔️✔️ Mint ✔️. I really need to get a sample and see

I did a sample set of them quite a while back...several years...I can't remember what I tried...I just remember that I liked what I did try. Sorry...not a lot of help here I know.

I’ve sampled most of IA’s offerings, and have enjoyed almost all of them. I actually requested a sample of Telegrama when I recently ordered a bottle of A City on Fire. As with everything I’ve tried from IA, you get more than you expect from the description and notes. It does have a barbershop vibe, and opens with talc, lavender, and a bit of something slightly bitter that I can’t place. There is fresh linen in there as well. I like it, but not enough to buy it. I’m sure I have the sample around here somewhere, and can dig it out if you’d like me to send it to you.

I’ve sampled most of IA’s offerings, and have enjoyed almost all of them. I actually requested a sample of Telegrama when I recently ordered a bottle of A City on Fire. As with everything I’ve tried from IA, you get more than you expect from the description and notes. It does have a barbershop vibe, and opens with talc, lavender, and a bit of something slightly bitter that I can’t place. There is fresh linen in there as well. I like it, but not enough to buy it. I’m sure I have the sample around here somewhere, and can dig it out if you’d like me to send it to you.
Thanks so much for the offer, I decided to pull the trigger on the soap in the aftershave as a blind buy. Figured it was worth a shot

I bought the sample pack of their frags quite a while ago.... but honestly only sampled a couple of them. I have a really hard time testing frags, because I really don't wear them too often. I should go back and try to revisit them.

I bought the sample pack of their frags quite a while ago.... but honestly only sampled a couple of them. I have a really hard time testing frags, because I really don't wear them too often. I should go back and try to revisit them.
My problem is that I can’t necessarily determine a fragrance based on its scent notes. I got 4 sample atomizers from another house yesterday, but they didn’t label them - and they are all citrus based - I couldn’t figure out which was which - so I’m just going to assume they were set in the box in order 😀

My problem is that I can’t necessarily determine a fragrance based on its scent notes.
That's a common problem. And that's why I hate scent notes. I can like every note individually, and think I'll like it, but when they are blended I hate it. Or you could have a mix of notes that sounds like it'd be weird, but the blend is awesome. I don't know how it's even possible to read a list of notes and know what it's going to smell like. That's Why I much prefer to listen to peoples impressions of scents and hear what they smell or detect from them.

That's a common problem. And that's why I hate scent notes. I can like every note individually, and think I'll like it, but when they are blended I hate it. Or you could have a mix of notes that sounds like it'd be weird, but the blend is awesome. I don't know how it's even possible to read a list of notes and know what it's going to smell like. That's Why I much prefer to listen to peoples impressions of scents and hear what they smell or detect from them.
Totally agree. That’s what I love about the cadre or youtube - you get to know people’s likes, dislikes, impressions, critiques and make are able to make an educated guess if something would ve in your wheelhouse

You can't take scent notes literally at all when it comes to fragrances. Fragrances aren't made of the actual notes, they are generally just marketing descriptors. Just like when you look for 'Rock Music' you may or may not get what you're expecting.
Samples are the only way to really know, and reviews are a distant second, but the best most of us have to go by.

You can't take scent notes literally at all when it comes to fragrances. Fragrances aren't made of the actual notes, they are generally just marketing descriptors. Just like when you look for 'Rock Music' you may or may not get what you're expecting.
Samples are the only way to really know, and reviews are a distant second, but the best most of us have to go by.
especially love it when they put scent notes like dirt, or the ocean after a storm, or sunshine rays - how the heck are you supposed to know what they smell like?

Back