The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Any Sandalwood fans here...

@Dragonsbeard .... Um.. I need this.... plz
Then go order it!

For using with a straight razor, i have loved the Cyril Salter Indian sandalwood shave cream for years and it's really well priced. It lathers like a dream, by which i mean i load a bit on the brush, rub that in the scuttle, and throw some water at it - there's too much to fit on your face for one pass.
Never liked the Tobs or Trumper creams that look like they come in things that cap guttering/drainpipes. Proraso is better for a DE in my opinion - it makes a great lather but it's a bit 'sticky' with a straight. The A/S splash is nice and good to sleep in.

For splashes, cologne or whatever, the prices are so varied it's really impossible to compare them. My favorites are the AOS cedar and sandalwood cologne, which is really fierce, so i wear that to work, or the Trumper one that is gorgeous for an hour or two and then fades. i wear that at weekends!

T

Then go order it!

Thanks KJ for posting this up.

So yes I use authentic Mysore Sandalwood Oil and Mysore Wood Chips in the Mysore Santal Skin Food Splash and EDT, an to be clear the only difference between the two is the EDT has a higher percentage of the Mysore.

I’m a huge Sandalwoods fan and have quite a few varieties in my aroma library. I will say and this is not a bash on any of these brands but TOBS or Fine and the new AOS Sandalwood don’t have any natural Sandalwood essential oils of any type as they are all synthetics and nice scents in themselves but definitely not using the real deal.
Real authentic Mysore is very hard to get and anywhere from expensive to extremely expensive. An nowadays you have to be very careful as their are sandalwood oils that are claimed to be real Mysore but in reality are diluted Sandalwood oil varieties in Jojoba oil. So if you see one at let’s say $50 to $100 an oz know it’s a probably a scammer. Believe me I’ve made that mistake a couple of times and that’s why now I always ask to purchase a sample first. Right now I have only 2 reputable suppliers who actually get it through the Indian Government as they control what’s left of the Mysore Sandalwood forest which is only about 20% the size of what it once was, but because of poor forest management most of it was destroyed by fires and flooding. So getting it is very hard.
If you can find vintage Mysore that’s where your looking at $500 and up an oz prices. I have sone really rare 1934 that goes for almost $800 an oz! An is the 2nd most expensive wood oil next to vintage Oud wood oil, which I’ve seen as high as $3,600 an oz! So when your looking at that $15 to $25 tub of shave soap or $10 bottle of aftershave just know it may say Sandalwood in the name and smell good but I think you know where I’m going. There’s a difference between marketing and reality. An like o l mentioned there’s many good smelling products out there that use the word Sandalwood in their description so once again this is not a bash on any brand.

Ok got that out of the way. So let’s move on.
So as some may know I’m coming out with a group of products with the name Sandalo Artistico and this upcoming release started out as a challenge by a group of my customers and shaving friends who originally wanted a Sandalwood scent that was either like the discontinued Fine Absolut or the Original AOS Sandalwood which btw did have some real Sandalwood Oil in it amongst a few other notes like Eucalyptus, Patchouli, Myrrth, Jasmine and the mystery powdery note that is much debated. Some say Orris Butter, Some say Vanilla and Benzoin and some say a simple Talc powder synthetic accord. So not 100% Sandalwood but a darn good scent. I have sone of the original shave soap, cream and the cologne and I use it sparingly but still enjoy it.
So back to the challenge. Well as I began to play with mixing my aroma blend another Artisan came out with what I understand is an excellent dupe of the Fine Absolut so I’m like why shoot for that. I then decided to do a Sandalwood scented group of products that had a Mysore vibe to it but without the very high price tag. So I came up with my Aroma Blend that does contain a good heavy dose of a good East Indian Sandalwood EO in it that I got from my supplier in India at a somewhat reasonable price as I do a good amount of business with him. I also actually added a bit of a real 1960 Mysore ( same one I use in the Mysore Santal) and then to keep the price down added 2 different Mysore Wood accords in the blend along with sone other notes. Also the blend has been infusing for over a month with a bunch of authentic Mysore
Wood chips in it which I’ll have to strain out for the Shave soap. So it’s first on my list to make once I’m in my new location.

Btw I have made 3 custom shave creams using only either vintage 1959 or the 1934 Vintage Mysore for some customers. The crème is less expensive than what it would be to make it as a shave soap as the heat it’s exposed to depletes the scent strength which in the Shave Creme is not an issue as I can put it in at room temperature so less of the Mysore oil is needed. Don’t get me wrong it’s still an expensive purchase but it would be quite a bit more if it were a Shave Soap.

So here’s sone of the authentic Sandalwood oils o have in my collection/library
1. Vintage 1934 Mysore - Amazing!
2. Vintage 1959 Mysore - So Creamy
3. Vintage 1960 Mysore - Love this one.
4. Vintage 1971 Mysore - Very good. Called Night Queen and the most reasonably priced Mysore I’ve found but still over $300 an oz.
5. Vintage 1964 East Indian - The best East Indian I’ve smelled so far. Very woody with a decent amount of creaminess to it.
6. East Indian ( don’t know the year but I got a good price on this one.
7. Royal Hawaiian one of my favorites. Somewhat spicy but has a nice creaminess to it.
8. New Caledonia - Not bad but doesn’t compare to the others .
9. Australian- Very Lineer with no creaminess to it. It’s ok if used as a base note but I’d never use it as the lead singer.

Sandalwood, the note is used in many fragrances as a foundation/base note but unfortunately because of the price of the real deal it’s usually an Aroma Chemical that’s used.

I apologize for the long rant but I’m very passionate about Sandalwood as you can probably tell. 😂

Great shaves all.

Last edited:
Back