The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Any Sandalwood fans here...

jags009

Shave Newbie
Sandalwood is my favorite note in perfumery. I am a sucker for everything sandalwood be it perfume oils, perfumes, incense sticks, bathing and shaving soaps.. Practically everything with sandalwood in it.

As for shaving soaps I have used AOS tallow, CRSW Sandalwood, Oaken Lab Sanctum. Out of these I liked CRSW Sandalwood the most. Oaken Lab Sanctum is at par if not superior scent wise though V3 base is a great base imo.

Today I got a sample of PAA Supreme sandalwood science and test lathered it. I had high hopes from it but i was highly disappointed with the scent strength. I would give it 3/10 perhaps. I am not sure if the sample I got got turned or is it really that weak.

What's your opinion on SSS by PAA? What are the other sandalwood soaps out there that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my V2040 using Tapatalk

I like Sandalwood but as a support note - though I do have a soft spot for TOBS Sandalwood. I have not tried SSS by PAA so I can’t give you an opinion on it. One of my favorite soaps that has a good sandalwood support note is Black Ship Grooming Ghost Ship - sandalwood, grapefruit, and amber are the notes.

I’m not a fan of any PAA products, but that’s just me.

For Sandalwood, my favorite soap was the Art of Shaving Sandalwood, specifically the old tallow version.

Other than that I don’t have any straight sandalwoods, just mixes with that note involved.

Not a soap, but if you’re a fan of true real Sandalwood, then the Mysore Santal Skin Food Splash from Ethos, is a must have!

My favorite is still Crabtree & Evelyn’s Mysore Sandalwood soap and cream, specifically the 1980’s-early 2000’s variants. Unfortunately Crabtree & Evelyn went out of business in 2016(though their soap went to crap by then…)

Though I’ll always have a soft spot for Taylor of Old Bond Street’s Sandalwood soap, aftershave, and EdP.

Sorry I’ve never tried any PAA products, but there are a ton of options out there..

My favorite is still Crabtree & Evelyn’s Mysore Sandalwood soap and cream, specifically the 1980’s-early 2000’s variants. Unfortunately Crabtree & Evelyn went out of business in 2016(though their soap went to crap by then…)

Though I’ll always have a soft spot for Taylor of Old Bond Street’s Sandalwood soap, aftershave, and EdP.

Sorry I’ve never tried any PAA products, but there are a ton of options out there..
I keep hearing good things about vintage Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood. Sadly, mysore sandalwood(wood/oil) is a controlled substance here in India and even the present batches of sandalwood oil are not as rich as they used to be few decades back. Companies due to lack of options end up using other sandalwood oils I guess.

one more crazy fan of sandalwood - from the land of the Original Mysore Sandalwood scent !!

Sandalwood is literally a national scent with shaving creams, bath soaps, incense all in various scents of sandalwood. The fragrance also has a religious connect, hence the popularity.

I love the Vicco Sandalwood SC, TOBS sandalwood is an awesome scent. and most of the days I use the Mysore Sandalwood bath soap. I would have loved for Tabac to also have a hint of Sandalwood in it to make it perfect !

You should speak to Frank @Dragonsbeard . His Ethos Mysore Sandalwood is fantastic. I didn’t know what I was missing until I tried his sandalwood skin food splash (and I believe he’s got a new Sandalwood soap coming out soon too).
I might soon. He knows that I am a sandalwood fan.

Does Ethos use real Mysore sandalwood? Not asking cynically. If he does, I'm going to need to get some, I dearly miss the real stuff.

@HMan I believe he does make a Mysore Sandalwood, but it’s not cheap. You can email him and he is good about responding. He is moving his shop at the moment.

I’m not a fan of any PAA products, but that’s just me.

For Sandalwood, my favorite soap was the Art of Shaving Sandalwood, specifically the old tallow version.
It's not just you, KJ. :)

I don't believe I've ever had the tallow AoS sandalwood, but had the cream version by them and loved it. I also love a straight up sandalwood, though I can't use it now. 😞

Back