The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

An Unexpected Journey: A Newbie's Walk In Wet Shaving

I didn't know that, that's pretty awesome information KJ! So, not as many were having cold shaves as might have been previously thought. I'm still partial to them, but that may change over the years.

Every have one of those days? I had one yesterday. The morning was actually pretty good. I had a full day of carpentry work around the house and the morning went well. Then..........everything went down hill. Lost a filling at lunch, yeah, couldn't be a small filling but the one they screwed up before and are set to fix it this week. Then I was trying to fix a crappily cut doorway someone thought was good from a job done in the 80's. No good way to fix what they screwed up because they thought "hey, who cares, we are putting up paneling anyways?" While trying to fix that problem I sawed my finger. Oh, and by the way never, NEVER, NEVER take off paneling in a house. I thought it would be nice to have the drywall painted and updated but let me just say, they just knocked holes in the drywall to install electric. Naw...............why bother wasting the time to snake the wire through a tiny hole, I want my big fat arm to be able to reach all the way up in the wall so Spanky can feed me the wire. In this room alone there were 5 holes knocked into the wall that needed seriously good patching work. So, if you see paneling, just go right over it because you do not want to know what is under it!

On the lighter side, I've decided to collect a coin from each of the wars that formed early America. For me, that's the French & Indian War, Rev. War, War of 1812, and the Civil War. So far, I collected a 1779 King George III half penny, 1865 3 cent piece, and an 1812 large cent. To hold that 1779 coin is kind of amazing. To think that coin was floating around in pockets when our country was being formed. Mine was a counterfeit (50% were) made right here in the good old state of NY. These coins aren't in the greatest shape and are pretty worn, but to hold history like that gives you pause to stop and think of where those coins have been. The 1812 coin has what looks like an indentation form a bullet. Did two guys sit around arguing over who was the best shot and settle it by setting my large cent in the crack of a fence post and took aim? Maybe all coins had a boring life, but I'll never know so the story is mine to think up.

The coins represent a time when we as a country were fighting for a freedom the world did not know at the time. As colonists we'd tasted a bit of independence, and we wanted more. I feel more and more drawn to these thoughts lately. As caretakers of this hard fought and won freedom, how have we done with it? It's a tough question to ask and even tougher question to answer.

I was able to collect my last coin, a King George II Hibernia half cent dated 1753. I chose to get a coin that dated at the beginning of the French and Indian War to be sure it was in circulation during the war. The Hibernia's were made in Britain for use in Ireland, but they were also counterfeited then brought to the US colonies. More counterfeits made their way here when Britain started making counterfeiting a capital offense. Once I get them all I'll take a picture of them and post it.

So here's a picture of the completed coins of all the major early wars that formed our country. From left to right: 1753 King George II halfpenny, 1779 King George III halfpenny, 1812 Classic Head Large Cent with "bullet mark", 1865 3 Cent piece. Of course they represent the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War. Most are pretty worn, but coins the same year in great shape go for several hundred dollars. Not being a coin collector, all I cared about was owning an authentic coin from the time of those wars. It still jazzes me up to hold onto each one knowing they were in circulation when all these events in history were happening. Who knows who had them in their pockets during those times.

IMG_1967.JPG

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1969.JPG

So here's a picture of the completed coins of all the major early wars that formed our country. From left to right: 1753 King George II halfpenny, 1779 King George III halfpenny, 1812 Classic Head Large Cent with "bullet mark", 1865 3 Cent piece. Of course they represent the French & Indian War, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and the Civil War. Most are pretty worn, but coins the same year in great shape go for several hundred dollars. Not being a coin collector, all I cared about was owning an authentic coin from the time of those wars. It still jazzes me up to hold onto each one knowing they were in circulation when all these events in history were happening. Who knows who had them in their pockets during those times.

View attachment 64970

View attachment 64971

View attachment 64972
That's awesome!! 🤩

View attachment 64970

View attachment 64971

View attachment 64972

Wow! Very cool.

Are you going to incorporate them into a piece at some point?

Reading about half pennies reminds me of hearing Miss Piggy singing about it every Christmas on the John Denver Muppet Christmas album.

Despite the setbacks, it seems as if the house is coming along.

Those coins are just straight up awesome! You weave a tale that could be based on a true story with that one. I will elect to believe it.

Are you going to incorporate them into a piece at some point?

Reading about half pennies reminds me of hearing Miss Piggy singing about it every Christmas on the John Denver Muppet Christmas album.

I have a special piece of curly oak I picked out of the trash that I think I will make a display for them all. They make clear plastic coin holders that I think I'll get for each coin. I like to be able to handle them, but some protection would be great and then I can just take them out whenever I need to. I've handed them to people and you can see that they connect the dots that these coins were circulating when our country would fighting to form itself. Tyranny tried to snatch freedom from our hands, but we prevailed. We'd stuck our finger in the pie of freedom and we wanted to cut ourselves a big ol piece of that pie for our own.........and we did it. The rest is history.......literally.

They could be called half pence's but half penny makes more sense to us in America. I'd forgotten about Miss Piggy singing that song! My favorite Muppets were the old men up in the balcony!

You weave a tale that could be based on a true story with that one. I will elect to believe it.
Yes, imagine some soldier in the French & Indian War taking a round in the leg and this 1812 coin actually saved him from injury. Or perhaps two soldiers were bragging about who the best shot was and some other soldier wedges that 1812 coin into a fence post and the shooting contest was on...........Ping!...........we have a winner. Perhaps that 1865 3 cent piece was in the pocket of a union soldier in Appomattox who watched General Lee walk up to the house where he surrendered. Perhaps it was in the hands of a confederate soldier who fought back tears as he watched Lee walk up to the same house in Appomattox and the soldier yelled "Don't do it! We can lick 'em!" Perhaps none of that happened, but we shall never know. Either way, when I hold them all in my hands I hold more than some old coins, I'm holding 112 years of war that was the genesis of this great nation. Instead of the weight of coins, I feel the weight wondering how I did as keeper of the flame of freedom that so much blood spilled to light. I feel the weight of wondering how well my hand shielded that flame from the winds that seek to snuff her out today. It's a heavy weight to hold in one hand........................

About 10 years ago I was looking for arrowheads and ran into a guy who said that field over yonder once was a colonial trading post and he sometimes found glass trade beads over there. Well I tucked that back into a box somewhere in my mind and it found it's way out over the summer and I thought I'd go there with my metal detector. When I first got there I saw old bricks in the field and pieces of old colonial dishes so it seemed to support what the old guy said to me those many years ago. I only had a couple of hours so I got to work. LOTS of square nails and bits of iron but then I locked onto a good solid signal. When I dug out the dirt I saw the round edge of something green like a copper coin. Nope, way too thin, but when I cleaned it off I found a shank on the back and realized it was a colonial flat button either made of brass or copper, but most likely brass. The shank style dates it to 1785-1800. That's about the time that little village was founded. It was my first colonial button find. Pretty neat to think about.

IMG_1986.JPG

The pieces of dishes were beautiful and I could have spent the 2 hours picking up just those pieces because there were so many.

IMG_1988.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

The round shanks were soldered onto the brass or copper round piece. The round piece was stamped out of large sheets much like how coins were done back in the colonial period.

That is some real archeology stuff happening there! Love the button. Any efforts to figure out possibly how old the pottery pieces are?

That is some real archeology stuff happening there! Love the button. Any efforts to figure out possibly how old the pottery pieces are?
I haven't really dove into figuring out the broken dish pieces. There were just so many types and kinds with some being colonial and some being from the 1800's. It's kinda like trying to date square nails, you know they are old but how old? There are people who are experts on colonial dishes that would know instantly, but I don't have contacts with any of those people. I've found a number of pieces of dishes like these over the years while looking for arrowheads. I wish I knew more about the dish patterns.

So I'm actually writing about something shaving related here. I've been using Stirling soaps lately and picked up some of their unrefined shea butter.

1641420821306.png

First off, a great product from what I can tell so there's no problem there. I really like the shea butter in the Stirling soaps and it made my face feel amazing, so I thought maybe some post shave treatment with shea butter would be even better. I'm not really liking it though. Since I'm a cold water shaver, my face is......well.....nice and cool so application of the shea butter feels like the very thing you should never do right after a good shave...........rub your face hard. I've tried applying it after running the hair dryer on it, which does make it nice and liquid like on the top of the puck of shea butter, but still, applied to a cool face it feel like trying to spread cold butter on a nice soft biscuit. It also completely erases any good soap scent that usually stays with me. It also seems to make my beard growth stand-up and feel rougher sooner. It does make my face nice and soft, but I think it would work best for me if applied at night before bed, but that just feels like a ding on the man card to be applying something like that at night. What next, cucumbers on the eyes? So great product, but it doesn't work for me as a post shave product. Love all the Stirling products I've used so far :love:

So I'm actually writing about something shaving related here. I've been using Stirling soaps lately and picked up some of their unrefined shea butter.

View attachment 72355

First off, a great product from what I can tell so there's no problem there. I really like the shea butter in the Stirling soaps and it made my face feel amazing, so I thought maybe some post shave treatment with shea butter would be even better. I'm not really liking it though. Since I'm a cold water shaver, my face is......well.....nice and cool so application of the shea butter feels like the very thing you should never do right after a good shave...........rub your face hard. I've tried applying it after running the hair dryer on it, which does make it nice and liquid like on the top of the puck of shea butter, but still, applied to a cool face it feel like trying to spread cold butter on a nice soft biscuit. It also completely erases any good soap scent that usually stays with me. It also seems to make my beard growth stand-up and feel rougher sooner. It does make my face nice and soft, but I think it would work best for me if applied at night before bed, but that just feels like a ding on the man card to be applying something like that at night. What next, cucumbers on the eyes? So great product, but it doesn't work for me as a post shave product. Love all the Stirling products I've used so far :love:
Just go with it, man..

giphy.gif

Back