The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Owner Announcement An Open Letter to the GREAT members of the TSC..... and anyone else who is reading this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooh, that's rough. That's one of the few threads I'd ever look at there, great job. There are ways to port it over to another forum, but you'd probably need to check the ToC to see if you have the right to do so. Otherwise, you could get the new host in trouble. Of course if you just post your reviews, I doubt much can be done about that.

I used to be head mod for a large fitness forum, and the freedom issue was it's ultimate downfall. I did my best to steer the owner away from taking draconian measures, but it did little good. It went from a huge amount of traffic to a trickle over a period of about 3 months as the owner constantly was posting things like "You're a guest in my house" and belittling our members.

I personally believe that rather than trying to control what you can't, better to build systems that work with the natural current. If you know your guests have dirty shoes, better to get a good carpet than steal and burn your guests footwear.

First Off thank you for allowing members, hobbyist and vendors to interact with the members. It only makes perfect sense for all parties involved. I felt the freedom the minute I joined the site and I'm grateful that @Dave in KY suggested I join the site as a newbie I'm very much enjoying The Shaving Cadre!

As some know I was just recently banned from B&B and honestly I still do not know for what reason I was banned for! I was given no notice or explanation of what I had done to deserve this treatment. In face what puzzles me is I had not been posting on the site very often leading up to my banning as I have not only been extremely overwhelmed with 3 work projects but I was also planning another lengthy Shave Off so about the only post I was putting up in my World Shave Off Showdown thread was some updates just to let the members know what was going on. It also was interesting that after I just completed the last Shave Off for the Championship of " The Smoothest Razor " and issued the prize to the winning member was shortly ( days ) before Dave asked me to join TSC and shortly after that I got a pm over on B&B from a mod I had never interjected with before asking me who had asked me to join the TSC and how did I like it. So I explained that Dave had done a nice review on my Shave soap and he asked me to join and as a member of a few Shaving sites I thought why not as I had a few friends who had joined. His words were no problem I was just curious and all is good. That was it. So 2 weeks later I go to B&B to login in and I get a message. OPPS! There's a problem you've been banned! Just like that! Again with no explanation of why. Also my Shave Off thread was taken down! Well this didn't go over with a lot of the members who had been following it since I and two other members started it in July 2018. In the time between that first Shave Off up until I was recently banned I had done literally hundreds of Shave Offs and the thread grew into a what I was told was the biggest thread on B&B other than " What razor did you use today " the thread contained not only my Shave Offs but so much information on 100's of razors and other gear and also so much about the history of many of the razors used in the Shave Offs. Lots of member interactions as members would send me gear to be entered into the Shave Offs. I made so many friends through that thread that I've been in communication with threw on site pm's, emails, texts and over the phone chats ever since. I also personally put in hundreds and hundreds of hours into that thread. On average between setting up the photos for a Shave Off, doing the actual Shave off and then doing the write up would take me an average of 2 1/2 to 3 hrs each not to mention the upkeep of the thread and the time it took to respond to the many, many posts that followed each Shave Off along with the questions I get in pm's from members. So just like that it was taken away from me and for the life of me I still don' t know for what reason. Like a mentioned there were a few members who basically said they were ready to post what they called " Suicide Threads or posts " in protest to what happened to not only me but to the thread itself. I told them I don't want you to do that even though the thought is much appreciated. A few didn't listen and did it anyway and they were also threatened with getting banned. The mods probably felt some kind of pressure from all the protest comments and edited the thread and put in in " Clubs and Brotherhood forum which also got protests and they just posted that no more post are allowed retaining to the subject and that's where they made the statement that:

" Be mindful of the fact that we are "Guests" of the owners on a Private Forum"

I was most recently contacted by a mod that I don't know named Chris who gave me an email address of another mod who you mentioned moderator DJH that I could contact to find out why I was banned. I was planning on sending him an email tomorrow as today is a holiday and out of respect for a holiday I'll hold off although I'm dying to hear the reason why I was banned and I'm going to ask for my original thread be sent to me in the form of a document. We will see how that goes.

I have to give props to Andrew at DFS for reaching out to me with a phone call giving me his support to move the Shave off over on the site if I recover the files. He also pretty much said the same thing that you did @BarberDave in his comments to me over the phone and he believes in live and let live on his Shaving forum.

So thank you for the freedom you allow us wet shaving enthusiasts and hobbyist on this great site!

Happy New Years!

Frank

Thanks Frank for all you did to help fellow razor enthusiasts with all your interaction in that thread. It was most beneficial in every way! Thanks also for updating the Cadre on the situation. Great shaves to you & to all this year!!

Thanks Frank for all you did to help fellow razor enthusiasts with all your interaction in that thread. It was most beneficial in every way! Thanks also for updating the Cadre on the situation. Great shaves to you & to all this year!!

Thanks my friend! 👍

Wooh, that's rough. That's one of the few threads I'd ever look at there, great job. There are ways to port it over to another forum, but you'd probably need to check the ToC to see if you have the right to do so. Otherwise, you could get the new host in trouble. Of course if you just post your reviews, I doubt much can be done about that.

I used to be head mod for a large fitness forum, and the freedom issue was it's ultimate downfall. I did my best to steer the owner away from taking draconian measures, but it did little good. It went from a huge amount of traffic to a trickle over a period of about 3 months as the owner constantly was posting things like "You're a guest in my house" and belittling our members.

I personally believe that rather than trying to control what you can't, better to build systems that work with the natural current. If you know your guests have dirty shoes, better to get a good carpet than steal and burn your guests footwear.

Thank you for the info! 👍

I've been involved with message boards for quite some time. I've owned a few, moderated on ~5-10. I've seen so many boards die off by letting the business of the board overrule the will of its members. I've seen a lot of very small, humble boards that fully acknowledge this fall to this same phenomenon. Like what happened?? 🤣

I'm not drawing any parallels to any other boards and I agree with the "letting it die" sentiment. I knew there was a little bit of beef between TSC and B&B, but I didn't realize the extent of it. I would say it's probably not healthy. Especially on a forum that is supposed to be for gentlemen.

Having said that, I must agree with Dave's philosophy on building a great board. I did similar things with mine and they were successful. Everything should revolve around the members. And the more freedom they have, the better. Big thanks to @Dave in KY for inviting me to TSC and thanks to everyone else for having me.

Happy new year!
well i for one am glad you are here..

First off, great to see you Dave! Hope things get a little less busy and settle down so you have some free time to come back and... be busy here....... 😜

I've held off commenting here, but I'm going to anyway. I know a few things that went on at/with B&B that many never saw or heard, but I'm not going to say anything other than I really don't agree with the way they handle things. It was my first exposure to this community in general and I'm glad I had that opportunity. After all in my individual case, if I wouldn't have been there originally, I wouldn't be here today.

That said, this is my new home. Most of the friends I made there are here, and I've made more on top of that. The overall attitude here is amazing and welcoming to all. I'm proud to be a member and really appreciate all that @CBLindsay @Cvargo and @BarberDave do for us AND with us. That is another of the things I really like is that the owners are as big a part of the community as the members.

So here is to many upcoming years of great friendship and an excellent place to hang out!

tenor.gif

First off, great to see you Dave! Hope things get a little less busy and settle down so you have some free time to come back and... be busy here....... 😜

I've held off commenting here, but I'm going to anyway. I know a few things that went on at/with B&B that many never saw or heard, but I'm not going to say anything other than I really don't agree with the way they handle things. It was my first exposure to this community in general and I'm glad I had that opportunity. After all in my individual case, if I wouldn't have been there originally, I wouldn't be here today.

That said, this is my new home. Most of the friends I made there are here, and I've made more on top of that. The overall attitude here is amazing and welcoming to all. I'm proud to be a member and really appreciate all that @CBLindsay @Cvargo and @BarberDave do for us AND with us. That is another of the things I really like is that the owners are as big a part of the community as the members.

So here is to many upcoming years of great friendship and an excellent place to hang out!

View attachment 14393
tenor (4).gif

Thank you gentlemen for you comments both pro and con, I felt it was important for our members to be able to "connect the dots" and indeed it was a rant.. One that I believe was needed as it had been held festering for a number of years. There is much you do not know, that will not be shared, and the main point was not to bash, as everything stated was true. It was however to call out the inequality of what occurred and in a way apologize to those members that were affected, and or banned from that other forum due to the creation of TSC, that is all. I am sorry @Aaron that you feel you would not have joined the TSC, due to my comments, but it is something the legacy members of the TSC needed to know,not to mention as one of the owners of this forum, it is a right afforded to me. In NO way was this to be construed as a way to Bash, Recruit, or prevent our members from joining or being an active part of all forums, including B&B. Someone mentioned that there should be 1000's of forums that we can all be a part of and I agree. However I will not stand by and allow ANYONE to slander, nor berate any member of this forum, WHY? because all of you are my brothers and sisters and FAMILY, and I will DEFEND that and have their six forever. Feel free to continue to comment, but this closes the final chapter for me, and was necessary for me to purge this ugliness, and to move on. As to me, and my feelings, the subject is CLOSED

I have a simple motto, and those that know me well understand
" You mess with my family...... There is no where to hide"

As always, thanks for being members of the TSC, as YOU ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS FORUM

Thanks for all you do!

I have given this post some considerable thought, and I think that it should be moved to, "The Legacy Bar".

@BarberDave Your welcoming post sums up why I have joined and look forward to the interactions. When "The World Shave Off Showdown" was removed and Frank was banned for no obvious reason coupled with a moderator suggesting he had left voluntarily as well as various rumblings of others who had been banned at "That Other Board" it was obvious that it was time to move on. I had learned so much with that nearly 2-year/5000 post thread and appreciate how much work Frank put into it especially after I had done a couple of shave-comparisons myself - it really takes 2.5 - 3 hours to do, photograph and write up. I am sure I am not alone in these opinions and I hope to contribute whatever limited knowledge or experience I have gained over the last several years. Again much thanks to our owners/moderators.

I have given this post some considerable thought, and I think that it should be moved to, "The Legacy Bar".
Thanks Chris for your candor and will consider it, however transparency both good and bad is the hallmark we strive for. We dont hide anything and like to have full disclosure for all

@BarberDave Your welcoming post sums up why I have joined and look forward to the interactions. When "The World Shave Off Showdown" was removed and Frank was banned for no obvious reason coupled with a moderator suggesting he had left voluntarily as well as various rumblings of others who had been banned at "That Other Board" it was obvious that it was time to move on. I had learned so much with that nearly 2-year/5000 post thread and appreciate how much work Frank put into it especially after I had done a couple of shave-comparisons myself - it really takes 2.5 - 3 hours to do, photograph and write up. I am sure I am not alone in these opinions and I hope to contribute whatever limited knowledge or experience I have gained over the last several years. Again much thanks to our owners/moderators.
frank has moved the world shave off over to damn fine shave. just so everyone knows... (i hope thats okay mentioning that and if not please remove post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back