The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

After Popular Demand: Matt’s Shaving Videos

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand, MK No.32
Brush: Alpha T-400 Silvertip Badger
Soap: Seaforth Spiced
Witch Hazel: Theyers Lavender
Aftershave: Seaforth Spiced
Balm: Tet-A-Tet(Russian)
Strop: Allegro paddle strop, 50 on leather, followed by 30 post.

Just been busy unpacking and enjoying the weather.

Razor: Dovo Fritz Bracht, Tennis 4/8
Brush: Sorrentino Brushworks with APShaveco G5A Synthetic (@Smattayu )
Soap: Spice Mélange by Barrister & Mann
Aftershave: Spice Mélange by Barrister & Mann
Witch hazel: Theyers Cucumber
Balm: Spice Mélange by Barrister & Mann
Strop: Allegro Paddle Strop 20/60 (touched up on Calico Cream finisher by a Johnathan Coe) 20/40 post

Have a great weekend everyone!

thanks for the video matt, next time i use the spice, im going to try to back off the water just a tad. i think i put a bit too much water as i was noticing the lather was a bit to runny on the blade, there was still some cushion to my lather but i think if i backed off the water some the i would have gotten a better shave the last time i used it. the lather was slipping off the blade instead of collecting on the blade like in your video. our water is too hard here to get a decent lather, or could be my inexperience with lathering when i first started wetshaving. i couldnt get a decent lather with tap water so i switched over to using distilled water.

thanks for the video matt, next time i use the spice, im going to try to back off the water just a tad. i think i put a bit too much water as i was noticing the lather was a bit to runny on the blade, there was still some cushion to my lather but i think if i backed off the water some the i would have gotten a better shave the last time i used it. the lather was slipping off the blade instead of collecting on the blade like in your video. our water is too hard here to get a decent lather, or could be my inexperience with lathering when i first started wetshaving. i couldnt get a decent lather with tap water so i switched over to using distilled water.
Yeah, as I said in the video I’ve had to deal with hard water too and some soaps just didn’t work for me. It’s best to always start too dry and just keep adding a dip of water at a time, until you’re there. Keep at it and doing test lathers in your palm with different variables can help you figure it out. Keep at it buddy!

Yeah, as I said in the video I’ve felt with hard water too and some soaps just didn’t work for me. It’s best to always start too dry and just keep adding a dip at a time, until you’re there. Keep at it and doing test lathers in your palm with different variables can help you figure it out. Keep at it buddy!
This is pretty much what I do. I face later, so I load the brush, dip the tips in water, and start, adding water as needed along the way.

This is pretty much what I do. I face later, so I load the brush, dip the tips in water, and start, adding water as needed along the way.
That’s right, bowl lathering is for the birds, you can really get the right consistency quickly and condition your beard by face lathering. Of course this is a YMMV item, but once I moved to bowl lathering, I never looked back.

Piter De Vries:
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Razor: Boker Edelweiss 5/8
Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: First Line Shave Red Label
Aftershave: First Line Shave Red Label
Balm: Tet-A-Tet
Strop: Allegro Paddle Strop 20/60 (touched up on Calico Cream finisher by a Johnathan Coe) 20/40 post

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand MK 31
Brush: Alpha T-400 Horse Hair(Barn yard...)
Soap: De Vergulde Hand Extra Fris
Aftershave: Irisch Moos
Balm: Lisa's Natural Irish Green Tweed

Back