The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

After Popular Demand: Matt’s Shaving Videos

I write left handed but do almost everything else on the right. Too bad I didn’t get the chance in my raising to get that wickedness beaten out of me though.

One hill that I’ll die on is that I use my eating utensils in the best and most efficient manner. The fork stays in the left hand and the knife goes in the right. I could never justify moving the fork from one hand to the other.
😎

Great shave, great vid, beautiful shave piece.
Yes indeed, they beat the wickedness out of me, but I still enjoyed Catholic school even with the restrictions and all.

I completely agree with your utensil use, this is the most efficient!

Cyberlink. Fastest rendering, most option, easier to use than any of the Adobe production products, and if you get the "suite" it has the video rendering, Photo, Audio, etc

Had a solid shave last night with my ultra sharp S.R. Droescher Blue Diamond! the shave was great, but ended up with a couple of weepers on my upper lip, the square point was a bit harsh on me this time around. Maybe if I shut up and shaved it would be better lol. I love the menthol scent and feel of the TDS, but for some reason I needed to go back to the puck for the last pass. Still a win, but not my best shave. The AOS brush is not very dense, so this could be partially to blame.
Weekend was great, loads of family time!

Adventures in home ownership: I discovered that our new home has
a total of 82 light bulbs inside and out! Approximately 95% of them are old school incandescent and harsh fluorescent light bulbs. I went to the store and bought 36 new LED bulbs thinking we’d be set to replace the majority of what we had but I was definitely incorrect. Ended up replacing the bulbs in the most used rooms, the office, kitchen , dining room, living room, and bathrooms. Hung onto the old incandescent lights for replacing bulbs in the least used rooms when they finally die.

Day 9 in the new home, still living out of boxes and suitcases… Hopefully we will get more stuff unpacked this week.

Had a solid shave last night with my ultra sharp S.R. Droescher Blue Diamond! the shave was great, but ended up with a couple of weepers on my upper lip, the square point was a bit harsh on me this time around. Maybe if I shut up and shaved it would be better lol. I love the menthol scent and feel of the TDS, but for some reason I needed to go back to the puck for the last pass. Still a win, but not my best shave. The AOS brush is not very dense, so this could be partially to blame.
Weekend was great, loads of family time!

Adventures in home ownership: I discovered that our new home has
a total of 82 light bulbs inside and out! Approximately 95% of them are old school incandescent and harsh fluorescent light bulbs. I went to the store and bought 36 new LED bulbs thinking we’d be set to replace the majority of what we had but I was definitely incorrect. Ended up replacing the bulbs in the most used rooms, the office, kitchen , dining room, living room, and bathrooms. Hung onto the old incandescent lights for replacing bulbs in the least used rooms when they finally die.

Day 9 in the new home, still living out of boxes and suitcases… Hopefully we will get more stuff unpacked this week.

You need incandescent bulbs….

….how else do you expect to run an Easy Bake Oven

Razor: F.W. Engles, Velvet Edge(wedge)
Brush: TSC SV Badger brush
Soap: CBL Dragons Milk
Witch Hazel: Theyers Lavender
Aftershave: CBL Dragons Milk
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1
Strop: Allegro paddle strop, 40 Ancient ocean jasper on oil, 50 on leather, followed by 30 post.

I really should reach for a wedge more often. This blade was more calm and "velvety" than I remembered! I really enjoy the scent of CBL Dragons Milk, I'm still getting small whiffs of it hours later.

@novicewetshaver this shave is for you!

Razor: F.W. Engles, Velvet Edge(wedge)
Brush: TSC SV Badger brush
Soap: CBL Dragons Milk
Witch Hazel: Theyers Lavender
Aftershave: CBL Dragons Milk
Balm: Aqua Velva Sensitive 5 in 1
Strop: Allegro paddle strop, 40 Ancient ocean jasper on oil, 50 on leather, followed by 30 post.

I really should reach for a wedge more often. This blade was more calm and "velvety" than I remembered! I really enjoy the scent of CBL Dragons Milk, I'm still getting small whiffs of it hours later.

@novicewetshaver this shave is for you!
good video, very informative. thanks!!

do the wedges feel less like they are gonna bite you like full hollows or is that more to do with getting the correct angle? thanks again!

do the wedges feel less like they are gonna bite you like full hollows or is that more to do with getting the correct angle? thanks again!
I don’t know that they feel like they are going to bite, but they give you very little warning when they do. I had a WONDERFUL 1/4 hollow or less Waterville cutlery Co 5/8 with the thumb notch back when. I first started out. It was one of those, when it bit, it bit silently and unexpectedly…. I was too quick and inexperienced with my angles and it darn near cut me or gave me weepers every single shave. Now, I wish I hadn’t sold it, because I’m sure it would be a great shaver for me today. A shallow angle is your friend with these blades, if you notice mine is nearly flat to my jowls. Take your time and use a shallow angle, you’ll do fine! 😊

Just some feedback, my $0.02, take it or leave it.

If you turn your phone sideways, the video will fill the whole creek and not have the black bars on the side.

Personally, I find the back ground music distracting, especially when you are talking.

Otherwise, good stuff!

Just some feedback, my $0.02, take it or leave it.

If you turn your phone sideways, the video will fill the whole creek and not have the black bars on the side.

Personally, I find the back ground music distracting, especially when you are talking.

Otherwise, good stuff!
Yep figured the music out after video 1 and then turned the phone sideways after video 2! Thanks KJ! Watch the last 2 videos, they are better. :cool:

I don’t know that they feel like they are going to bite, but they give you very little warning when they do. I had a WONDERFUL 1/4 hollow or less Waterville cutlery Co 5/8 with the thumb notch back when. I first started out. It was one of those, when it bit, it bit silently and unexpectedly…. I was too quick and inexperienced with my angles and it darn near cut me or gave me weepers every single shave. Now, I wish I hadn’t sold it, because I’m sure it would be a great shaver for me today. A shallow angle is your friend with these blades, if you notice mine is nearly flat to my jowls. Take your time and use a shallow angle, you’ll do fine! 😊
thanks man, i will keep working at the straights as well angle and pressure. i havent quite leveled up to intermediate shaver haha, im still a novice. ill get there tho.

Back