The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A view from the UK - ajc347’s Shaving Journal

ajc347

Jr. Shave Member
I joined the site yesterday, posted up a comparison H&S NO75 and Carbon Cx SOTD today, and a comment was made by @Dave in KY about my keeping a journal which, to be honest, was something I have never thought about doing before.

So, I thought, why not, and decided in true British fashion to crack on and get it done.

The big question then, was where to start and what to focus upon?

I’ve decided to trace my journey through the last 9 years of wet shaving to where I am today and focus upon the razors and equipment I’ve bought, used, sold or kept over the years.

I’m lucky in that I have had opportunity to make use of various auction sites and forums over the years which allowed me to build a large collection of British Gillettes and high-end Badger brushes before the craze for more exotic modern razors and synthetic brushes began.

Whilst I am in the final throes of selling of this collection (due to my like of exotic modern razors and synthetic brushes), it has given me a wealth of enjoyment over the years and a lot material to draw upon.

My focus, therefore, to start this journal concerns the state of the market in the UK when I first started.

There were, at this time, basically five types of razors readily available - vintage Gillettes, Straights, Schick and PAL / Ever Ready SE’s, the PILS DE, and Feather DE’s & SE’s (Artist Club, AS-D1 and Portable).

For advice on which to choose I relied mainly upon two forums (one in the UK and one in the US) and one other guy, Bruce Everiss and his website Bruce on Shaving.

Whilst Bruce was derided and disliked by some people on the only British forum around at that time, I really liked the advice he gave and found his posts somewhat informative and interesting.

Bruce left the scene in 2011 after starting a forum which ultimately failed due, I understand, to lack of support.

His blogs are still worth a read, though, and can be found on the link below:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWESOME AJ, Subscribed !!

I never kept a journal on other sites till I got here and now wonder why I never started before (y)

Thanks Guys.

Today’s SOTD:

7595cf3fb34df9e6eb9f90531ee99710.plist

Razor: Feather AS-D1 and British Gillette Tech 4-piece razor
Blade: Feather
Brush: Simpson’s Duke 3
Lather: Tabac & Sir Irisch Moos uber lather
Aftershave: D R Harris Rose AS Balm

I was reminiscing yesterday on how far the wet shaving market has moved on in the 9 years since I made the move over from carts.

The first DE razor I owned was a Merkur Futur and the second was British Gillette Tech.

I’ve been slowly selling off my vintage Gillette collection in favour of more modern razors and thought it would make sense to have a final shave with each of the remaining types I have left before moving them on.

To this end, I chose a 4-piece British Tech for a comparison shave with my Feather AS-D1 as the Feather took the original British Tech design and tweaked it.

I also decided to go old school in terms of other products used.

Tabac, DRH balm and Sir Irisch Moos were some of my favoured products 9 years ago and my first top-end Brush was a Simpson’s Duke 3 in Best Badger.

Whilst I no longer own any badger brushes, the synthetic D3 fitted the bill for tonight’s shave. I also chose to uber-lather the Tabac and Sir Irisch Moos cream for the first time.

This resulted in a great shave with the synergy between the soap and cream resulting in a glorious scent.

Whilst the Tech performed as well as I remembered, the Feather was smoother and gave a nicer overall shave.

I had also forgotten just how good DRH balms are and I can see me using this more often than I have been.

ccf05b552b28f43cf97332219733feb2.plist

An interesting shave today.

I’m suffering from tendoniitis in my right hand so had no choice but to use my non-dominant (left) hand for the whole of the shave.

The P&B soap worked excellently with the Proraso I usually use to make a uber lather with (and I think I’ll try adding menthol crystals next time around, as the smell of mentholated Brut really appeals to me).

I used a Feather in the Carbon for the first time today and, again, was expecting more of a blade forward shave than the velvety smooth shave I had. The diminutive size of the Carbon and the thin centre part of the handle really helped negate my general lack of precision with my left hand.

All-in-all this was a really enjoyable shave.

Razor: Carbon Cx
Blade: Feather
Brush: Turn n Shave
Pre-Shave: Bedfordshire Beard Co Sawmill Beard Oil
Lather: Phoenix & Beau Right Handed Giant
Aftershave: I Coloniali Rhubarb AS Balm

Nice setup today! Rhubarb is not something I’ve seen in shave scents before!

Thanks mate. Bizarrely, it smells of chocolate. I believe that it uses an extract of Rhubarb in the formula, hence the product name.

So, Covid-19 has kept me extremely busy at work over the last few months, so I have totally neglected keeping things up to date.

In order to kick start things back up, I thought I’d talk about the Fatip Lo Storto razor.

I tried out the closed comb Gentile version of the Fatip Slant razor tonight having recently purchased one.

003048f7cc90c37ab4ef7fd5db53b145.plist

I was quite impressed with the razor when it arrived. Whilst it’s a little rough in places, the main concern I had was that the tolerances were so tight that I struggled to separate the top cap from the baseplate. This led to some concerns as to how this would work in terms of getting the blade out of the razor at the end of my first shave (this didn’t prove to be that much of a problem in the end).

I decided to do a comparison of this razor against one of my current top 2 slants, the Wunderbar (my other top rated slant is an ATT S1).

55e83429a31a3bda5db2852577d5cebf.plist

This is the routine I followed and the products I used:

Razors: Fatip Lo Storto Gentile and Razorock Wunderbar
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Cashmere
Pre-shave: MRGLO followed by e-shave pre-shave oil
Soap: Black Ship Thomas Tew & Proraso Uber Lather
ASB: DR Harris Aftershave Milk

I must admit that I was VERY pleasantly surprised at how well this razor shaves. There are no blade alignment issues and, whilst the blade has the waviness noticed in the thread on B&B, this was consistent on both sides and made no difference to the shave at all.

I’m terms of smoothness, the Wunderbar was smoother by a whisker. It really was that close. In terms of efficiency, the Fatip was slightly more efficient. I’m happy with this trade off as the shave was that good.

I thought the handle design would be slippery and awkward to hold, however, this was not the case. It’s not the best handle design, but it’s far from being the worst.

All in all, I can say that I have definitely found a razor that is up there with the best razors in my collection. It shaves as close as a Blackbird or Timeless 0.95 SB and costs a fraction of the price.

Here’s a couple more comparison pictures:

7091b59936381169c26a172da7cd9caa.plist

170a7b4efecc60d484bf23273ebe8dfe.plist

I’m not sure whether I would be able to tolerate the OC version as the Gentile shaved as close as I can comfortably tolerate on my face.

This razor is cheaper than a Merkur 37c (in the UK at least), is made of brass instead of Zamak, and shaves as well as some of the best stainless steel razors on the market. If you’re on the fence about getting one, it really is a no-brainer.

Nice read. I have the OC version of the Lo Sorto and get smooth shaves. I also have a Wunderbar arriving Monday. My closest slant razor shave comes from the Krect Spiral Curve though. Nice comparisons

Nice read. I have the OC version of the Lo Sorto and get smooth shaves. I also have a Wunderbar arriving Monday. My closest slant razor shave comes from the Krect Spiral Curve though. Nice comparisons

Thanks Dave.

I’d definitely be interested to hear your thoughts on how you find the Wunderbar in comparison to the OC version.

I must admit that a Krect Spiral Curve is a razor I haven’t come across before. Do you have any pictures or further details of it?

Back