The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Place for Deep Thought

Has to be scary when it gets that serious. Glad you’re back here posting.

Kidney problems are no joke. Glad everything is okay...but like John...I'll be praying for you and your family that this week is much better.

Two months ago I thought I had my soaps locked in with the 3 best unscented soaps. My plan was to enjoy my razor with my brushes and those soaps. Then the Cadre pulled me back into the fold, leaving the drama and some negativity of some other places behind. And 2 members gifted me with 3 more soaps! I have had some great experience with these soaps. And then some guys gifted me some Wizamet blades! So, for 2 weeks now I have had some great new stuff giving me fantastic shaves!

Eric, typing with 1 finger on my phone.

Just a few quick notes. Day 8 with the unscented Parson's soap and I am liking it very much. It is a thirsty soap but what a creamy lather! Thanks again, @The Monkey for sending this my way!

I got 10 shaves out of the Wizamet and only stopped so I could see if I can get 8 or more from a Gillette Silver Blue. I used to change every 4 shaves, then upped it to 7 or weekly. But some comments @Spider made in various threads challenged my thinking and I decided to "practice* before February and the One Blade Challenge!

Home front is good, but we still have our challenges. Hoping for a better year, health wise, than last year.

Eric, typing with 1 finger on my phone.

Nice longevity on that Wizamet. Hoping that 2020 is better for you also. Health is something we can't take for granted...take care of yourself and yours. The Cadre is always here for support when you need it!

Late shave today will be the first for the One Blade challenge. Thinking about this, I recall only missing/skipping 4 shaves out of 12 months back when I was learning and spending like crazy! This past month, I skipped 4 days already and skipped yesterday as well. And I have gone from changing blades every 4 days to every 10 to every Sunday. I have found that a blade I originally liked enough to buy 100 of them, seemed to give poor shaves after 3 uses. Then I used on in January for 7 shaves and stopped just to change. I was being more careful with technique and I think/hope that was it.

For the One Blade challenge I am using a Battle Brothers blade. I was gifted 100 of these in an auction on another site, when I bid on their synthetic brush. Try out your Google-fu on them, they look like an interesting company, veteran owned and operated. My brother got me some coffee this year from another veteran owned company, Black Rifle Coffee. Some really good stories on both sites. (My brother is a vet, and always on the lookout for ways to support others). If anyone would like to try one, let me know and I'll send a couple out to you!

Seems like work issues is a theme in the journals now. My work is no exception, although thankfully not as bad as some have expressed. The high muckity-mucks have decided that cutting our hours last year didn't save enough money, or make them more, or whatever, and so this year reduced our support staff hours: Do more with less! Customer/patient service suffers, we get yelled at, and we are supposed to "keep a positive attitude" while feeling like the wheels are coming off. thankfully, not all days are like that, just Monday and Tuesday. So I gird up my loins for tomorrow.

Big health win last week, independent review sided with us and insurance has to pay for treatment, the only treatment that has a chance of helping my wife (it had no FDA approval, so insurance denied coverage). So now the scheduling and the praying that the infusions go well with no intolerable side effects and reactions. We won, but find ourselves faced with a whole nuther set of worries! "Sufficient unto the day" has become my motto for dealing with things.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading through my meandering thoughts! I'll put a picture in to help out!
20200129_211615.jpg
I plan to 3017 the Nil while keeping the Battle Brother blade going. Slim is a fave that will probably see some shaves again soon!

And by now, dear reader, you may be feeling like my dear little buddy!!
Carson giving his opinion:
IMG_2829.jpg

I see I have been "gone" from the Journals for a long enough time that I "moved" to page 2! That is fine, as others have more to say and more interesting things to say as well. I have been trying to keep up with reading the entries, but find myself becoming a skimmer (I think I heard some gasps. Or maybe some guffaws!)

I have a few thoughts percolating in the gray matter that I have wanted to get written and just needed the time. This morning looks to have that time.

One blade February challenge is going very well. The Battle Brothers' blade is going strong. The surprise was moving it from the Karve to my Slim this week. Back story needed for context: I have raved about the Karve being smoother, more efficient, and delivering outstanding shaves that beat the Slim. My Slim had been The One up until then. I did comparisons shaves on another site and sold or gave away all but 2 razors (the Slim and a pre-War Tech). Well. This week has been shaves on par with the Karve, with the Slim set to 5, on a blade that normally would have been replaced after 5-6 shaves! Outstanding discovery, and a delight to use the Slim for a change and still receive the close, smooth shave I want. This weekend, the blade will move back to the Karve.

Back