The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

5th Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
I'm a little late, but here goes! If you see this after the 1st, no worries, you can still join.

It's that time once again, as we approach the shortest month of the year.
That means it's time to sign up for the FEBRUARY "ONE BLADE" CHALLENGE!!

Originally started, back in the day, to try to test/prove claims that you could get a month's worth of shaves from the legendary Personna 74 blade. Then, subsequent challenges expanded to more "mortal" blades, and the fun continues. Many people who participate in these challenges have learned to use their blades for extended periods of time, up to several months or even more!

The Rules:
1. Pick a blade (any type: DE, SE, Injector, Artist Club, Hair Shaper, etc...). Be specific.

2. Use that blade for the entire month of February. The goal is to use one single blade for the entire month, but if you've reached the end of its life on day 12, and cannot get another shave out of it, then on day 13 grab another (exact same type/brand/model) and try to finish out the month with that one. Hopefully as you go from your first to your second, or third or possibly fourth blade, you are learning and can get more longevity from each successive blade. (That's the goal here: to learn.... and try to get more utility out of our blades.)

3. You may use any techniques at your disposal to prolong the longevity of your blade. Want to flip it every other shave? Fine. Want to palm strop it in between shaves? Great. Want to stick it into your vintage blade stropper/sharpener (e.g. Twinplex, Lillicraps, Kriss Kross, etc.) Awesome! Can't wait to hear if they work. Maybe you think an alcohol bath or a towel dry will help slow corrosion or ease mineral deposits? Try it! There are tons of ideas out there, and it's all encouraged for the sake of science and extending the life of a single blade. Since honing a disposable blade is not the norm, you may also hone your blade to extend the life, if you choose.

4. The razor - you may use your blade in any razor of your choosing, and you may change your razor as often as you like (moving the same blade from one razor to the next).

5. Daily posts in this thread are not required, but please provide some sort of regular update as to your progress/experience. List the number of shaves on a given blade, and let us know if you need to switch it out (comparing results from one blade to the next). Let us know if anything special you are doing is working/not working for you.

6. Have Fun!

Bonus: If you think you have what it takes to go the distance, or want to try... check out the Ultimate Minimalist Competition here:

Notes:
You don’t have to shave every day, if that’s not your norm. But every shave this month needs to be using the same blade. (See #2)

Let the blade tell you when it needs to be pitched (no arbitrary tossing of blades after X number of shaves allowed).

Just because you have a rough shave one day, doesn't mean it's the blade's fault. There are lots of factors at play (even if you don't change anything!). Sometimes I'll have a rough shave one day, but the blade is nice and smooth the next. Try to push your blades to learn where the blade is really truly giving out.

It's been asked before if Straight Razor shavers can play.... Yes, you can, with the caveat that honing during the month is not allowed, only stropping (no pastes).... or else where would the challenge be?

I think I've covered everything , but if not, let me know and I'll clarify.
Any Questions?

If you want to join, just pick a blade and add your name and blade (be specific) to the list!
If you want to add your starting razor to the list go ahead (you're not required to stick with it.)

1. Spider – Drug Store Personna PC - Feather AS-D2 (will use for duration)

2. Heysi - Gillette Silver Blue - '47 Gillette Aristocrat (for duration)

3. EMG06 - German Wilkinson Sword- Gillette Tech (maybe for duration)

Game on!

4. OpusX - Nacet (various razors)

5. dkeester - Gillette Platinum - Mergress XL

I was torn on which razor I want to use for this challenge. I was considering my Rockwell T2, one of my Gillette Fatboys, one of my Gillette Slims, my AS-D2, and the Mergress. It is a tough choice to use only one razor for a month or more.

88EDE6F2-43DB-4036-9A20-0DD3B6CD91B1.jpegGot my February setup ready to go. Triangle slot Tech with German Wilkinson Sword blade

6. Trunker - Dovo Bismarck s/r last honed 10/30/22

Didn't see many straights in there and having suggested a test of a concave bevel for longevity, it might as well be me that tries it. The blade already has 7 shaves on it and i typically shave twice a week. The strop is leather from Whipped Dog, or ILR.
T

6. Trunker - Dovo Bismarck s/r last honed 10/30/22
7. BarberDave - Feather Pro Guard - Blackland Vector / Tedalus

While I have yet to find a blade that doesn't work well in my Mergress XL, I do think that the Gillette Platinum is just a little bit better in this razor than most of the other blades that I have in my stash. It gave me an excellent 2 pass shave this morning.

Using my 1958 Q1 Flare Tip Super Speed with a Gillette Silver Blue. Today was #2

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back