The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

3rd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

I just picked mine back up this morning. Put shave 33 on it. Was a great shave and i will be sticking with it for a while again.

Just hit 99 shaves. Definite decline in blade feel. A bit rougher, but not uncomfortable. We'll see how the closeness holds up.

I assume @EMG06 is still in. Who else? @Fightingillini22 , are you still chugging away at your blade?

I've been using my new-to-me RR V2 Hawk pretty much exclusively to hone in my AC SE technique, but when I break out a DE I'm still chugging along on the same Lab Blue! I'm at 74 as of my shave this past Friday and with you two rapidly approaching 100 I don't think I'll have a problem reaching that either!

I've been toying with the idea of doing a side-by-side "shave off" between the weathered Lab Blue and a new one to see if I've just grown accustomed to a less efficient shave, but the other part of me thinks that if I'm still getting the results I want with the old blade, why even bother?!

Just hit 99 shaves. Definite decline in blade feel. A bit rougher, but not uncomfortable. We'll see how the closeness holds up.

I assume @EMG06 is still in. Who else? @Fightingillini22 , are you still chugging away at your blade?
Yeah, hit shave #95 today. Going to hit 100 come heck or high water at this point. If for no other reason than to satisfy some OCD impulse, but I’m still getting good shaves.

C, 100, 💯 hit the century mark using my German Wilkinson Sword today. First time getting to this point on a blade. Amazingly it is still pretty good.

063E79C6-F64D-4297-8C1E-DE889EA3B17F.jpeg

104 for me today. I've only missed one day of shaving since we started. It's crazy, some days I get a not so great shave and I think the blade is on the way out, then the next day the shave is flawless. It just goes to show that sometimes an off shave isn't the fault of the blade. There's so many factors that go into it. Prep, lather quality, technique.... all of these (and more) can affect the shave and make you think it's the blades fault. Which is again why I think a lot of people give up on their blades too soon.

Well, I am an idiot. I didn’t heed my own advice about traveling with a safety razor..... and today, my blade got confiscated by TSA. So, this did not end the way I wanted it to, but this longevity challenge is over for me. Today was shave 114..... arrrrrgh!!!!! One shave short of my record! I know I could have gone longer so at least there’s that.

Ok, today I finally binned my German Wilkinson Sword after 113 shaves (out of a possible 120 since February 1st). Honestly, the blade was still working perfectly fine, just decided to start June and summer with a fresh start blade wise. Now to see if I slice myself up tomorrow with a fresh sharp blade!
1473531A-FA4A-4F5C-B7B6-D6E8688C6A1C.jpeg

Ok, today I finally binned my German Wilkinson Sword after 113 shaves (out of a possible 120 since February 1st). Honestly, the blade was still working perfectly fine, just decided to start June and summer with a fresh start blade wise. Now to see if I slice myself up tomorrow with a fresh sharp blade!
View attachment 53097
Well, I figured you would beat me, but thanks for preserving my record of 115, lol.

Fell behind both you guys when I acquired the RR Hawk and used it consistently for awhile, but I hit 90 shaves on the Lab Blue this morning. Thought about using a new blade in my new Heritage Gibbs replica yesterday but eh, why fix what isn't broken.

113 and 115 still seem a long ways off but I suppose we'll see!

Well guys, I had shave 117 with this Personna Lab Blue this morning and it continues on for now. What I find most interesting is that there have been multiple occasions where I have a couple bad shaves in a row and I think it's shot, only to have it recover and continue on when I "threaten" it with one final shave before the bin. At this point, I have no idea how much longer it will last but cannot believe it's almost 120 shaves now.

do you use the same razor each time - or mix it up?
Mix it up just about daily actually. After every shave I take the blade out, rinse and let it air dry on a towel I have in the shave cabinet. That's something I do to every blade after ever shave, nothing special to try and increase longevity or anything.

What I find most interesting is that there have been multiple occasions where I have a couple bad shaves in a row and I think it's shot, only to have it recover and continue on when I "threaten" it with one final shave before the bin.
I’ve been making that point for years! And it’s at the heart of why I think so many folks give up on a blade before it’s usefulness is actually over.

Back