The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2nd Annual February "One Blade" Challenge!

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
It's that time once again..... the shortest month of the year (although, this year it's ONE WHOLE DAY longer!!).
That means it's time for the FEBRUARY "ONE BLADE" CHALLENGE!!

Originally started, back in the day, to try to test/prove claims that you could get a month's worth of shaves from the legendary Personna 74 blade. Then, subsequent challenges expanded to more "mortal" blades, and the fun continues. Many people who participate in these challenges have learned to use their blades for extended periods of time, up to several months or even more!

The Rules:
1. Pick a blade (any type: DE, SE, Injector, Artist Club, Hair Shaper, etc...). Be specific.

2. Use that blade for the entire month of February. The goal is to use one single blade for the entire month, but if you've reached the end of its life on day 12, and cannot get another shave out of it, then on day 13 grab another (exact same type/brand/model) and try to finish out the month with that one. Hopefully as you go from your first to your second, or third or possibly fourth blade, you are learning and can get more longevity from each successive blade. (That's the goal here: to learn.... and try to get more utility out of our blades.)

3. You may use any techniques at your disposal to prolong the longevity of your blade. Want to flip it every other shave? Fine. Want to palm strop it in between shaves? Great. Want to stick it into your vintage blade stropper/sharpener (e.g. Twinplex, Lillicraps, Kriss Kross, etc.) Awesome! Can't wait to hear if they work. Maybe you think an alcohol bath or a towel dry will help slow corrosion or ease mineral deposits? Try it! There are tons of ideas out there, and it's all encouraged for the sake of science and extending the life of a single blade. Since honing a disposable blade is not the norm, you may also hone your blade to extend the life, if you choose.

4. The razor - you may use your blade in any razor of your choosing, and you may change your razor as often as you like (moving the same blade from one razor to the next).

5. Daily posts in this thread are not required, but please provide some sort of regular update as to your progress/experience. List the number of shaves on a given blade, and let us know if you need to switch it out (comparing results from one blade to the next). Let us know if anything special you are doing is working/not working for you.

6. Have Fun!

Notes:
You don’t have to shave every day, if that’s not your norm. But every shave this month needs to be using the same blade. (See #2)

Let the blade tell you when it needs to be pitched (no arbitrary tossing of blades after X number of shaves allowed).

Just because you have a rough shave one day, doesn't mean it's the blade's fault. There are lots of factors at play (even if you don't change anything!). Sometimes I'll have a rough shave one day, but the blade is nice an smooth the next. Try to push your blades to learn where the blade is really truely giving out.

It's been asked before if Straight Razor shavers can play.... Yes, you can, with the caveat that honing during the month is not allowed, only stropping.... or else where would the challenge be?

I think I've covered everything , but if not, let me know and I'll clarify. Any Questions?

---------------------------------

Now, what's this about a PIF?

Part 1.

Anyone who joins, is active in posting updates, and sees it though for the full 29 days (no matter how many individual blades it takes) will be entered into a random draw PIF.

The first part of the Prize will be an assortment of blades. 10 each of the only blades I have ever bought 100 or more of.
(These Personna blades are my favorite blade, and the ones I'm using for the challenge).
Pif1.jpg

The winner will also receive a 1.25oz sample of CBL Tonsorial soap: Hot Chocolate scent.
Pif2.jpg

Part 2.

I fully intend to use one single blade in one single razor for the entire month, plus however long it lasts after that. Anyone else, who can match me at at least 30 shaves* on a single blade, will be entered into a second PIF. Note: This is 30 shaves, not 30 days, so if you shave every other day you'll need to keep it up for 60 days. The PIF will remain open as long as folks are still in. Why 30 days? That's one day into the second month, so you can say you've shaved for more than a month on one single blade. You don't need to specify you're in the running for this part of the PIF.... everyone is in. You'll drop out of the running for this part, though if you change your blade.

Up for grabs for this PIF is a 2.4oz sample of CBL Premium Soap: Hot Chocolate scent. (same scent as in above, even though they are a different color.)
PIf3.jpg

To make this PIF extra special, and rewarding for anyone who can truly master their blade, I have dug into the recesses of my den and pulled out some true unobtanium.

The winner will have their choice of scents of a Saint Charles Shave Soap. Either Refined or Cranberry. Not only is Saint Charles Shave no longer in business or production, these pucks I have been holding onto for a very long time, and are pucks that were made by the Legendary Sue Moore herself, who passed away in 2010. This is about the most vintage, Artisan soap you will ever find.
PIf4.jpg

--------------------------------- Copy list from here down when signing up ---------------------------------

If you want to join, just pick a blade and add your name and blade (be specific) to the list!
If you want to add your starting razor to the list go ahead (you're not required to stick with it.)

1. Spider – BX/PX Personna Blade (Israeli) - Yuma Razor (will use for duration)

--------------------------------- Copy list from here down when signing up ---------------------------------

If you want to join, just pick a blade and add your name and blade (be specific) to the list!
If you want to add your starting razor to the list go ahead (you're not required to stick with it.)

2. Dave in KY - Wizamet and I'll start with my Yuma too but may switch it up

3. JWS VII - Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow) - Timeless .68 SB

4. Uacowboy - Shark Super Stainless in my New SC

-------------------------------- Copy list from here down when signing up ---------------------------------

5. AJSharp - Personna Red (Israeli) - Wolfman Ti WR2 145

-------------------------------- Copy list from here down when signing up ---------------------------------

6. DeepSea - Exchange Branded Israeli Personna - Yates 921-hybrid plate

It is going to be an adventurous February for me blade-wise. I can't wait to give some of my vintage DE hones a try. I also need to remember to fill a jar with rubbing alcohol to dunk the razor after the shave.

7. dkeester - Treet Black Carbon - Parker Variant

I was going to say Wizamet, but decided I want to horde the 8 I have left for now. :ROFLMAO:

It’s been a while since I’ve used a DE Feather blade...time to bring em out again.

8. GearNoir - Feather - probably start with a Canadian Pre-war Tech and may swap to GC .68 later in the month

Not officially in, but I will be seeing how long I can push these Wizamet blades. Only 2 shaves on the one right now and I don't shave every day, so I will be going into Feb. on a relatively new blade. Plus I have everything you are offering except the SCS, but I know it doesn't work for me. So I'll play along, but leave the PIF chance for someone else to enjoy. It is all great stuff!

Hah, just dawned on me that I’m going to Oahu in a month! Guess the Feather and Tech are getting checked! Sure as heck ain’t taking the GC 😂

I got a hundred of these Battle Brothers blades as a gift. Been good for my shaves. Looking forward to the fun!

8. GearNoir - Feather - probably start with a Canadian Pre-war Tech and may swap to GC .68 later in the month
9. MaineYooper - Battle Brothers Shaving Co blade - Christopher Bradley brass Karve, plates A, B, & C

Hey, I do the challenge shaves. I'll ruin one shave. Just not a whole month of em ;)

I’ll give ‘er a go. I’ve not long term tried this one..

9. MaineYooper - Battle Brothers Shaving Co blade - Christopher Bradley brass Karve, plates A, B, & C
10. Majorrich - Gillette 7’oclock Super Stainless (Black) I’ll probably start with a Post War Tech, then try some randoms

Back