The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2020 - Year of the Synth

I switched over to pretty much synth-only over a year ago. I am currently loving my Omega EVO and Simpson Trafalgar 3, with the EVO edging out the T3 for my favorite. I like some variety and also use my heavy aluminum Razorock 400 NOIR once a week as well.

As the year goes on it seems less and less likely that I'll be returning to the badgers.

I’ll certainly go back to badgers and boars, but I’m sure not complaining about the lathers I’m getting. I have switched this month to a Rudy Vey custom with a 24 mm Mühle knot and talk about an upgraded experience over that Body Shop synth.

With my whiskers now removed, it sure felt different (in a good way!) to let the Chubby work its magic. For the past two months, the knot was wider than the shaved part of my face above the whiskers. Kind of hard to get some good scrub going when there's barely enough room to paintbrush.

I have to admit, I’m getting the itch for a badger. The synth is almost too easy. What with the Schick injector too, it’s like the shaves require no skill anymore. Next Monday I switch to the Chubby 2 synth.

You could always make it more challenging by shaving while wearing a swim mask filled with water.

I believe @BarberDave just started his first of four reviews on 4 *ahem* "special" soaps that could up the challenge level of your shaves. 🤪

Of course, a safe bet might be a wonderful soap in a metal tin, especially now that the FAIRWAYS are turning green might take your mind away from boring and into dreamland. Of course, the maker's initials are the same as mine (My middle name starts with C! :))

Used the Cubby for all but 2 shave in May and will switch over to the Asylum Cheswick for most of June.

I have never tried, nor have I ever even considered using a synthetic shave brush. I absolutely love my smallish Simpson badger brushes! ...but then again, this thread has got me thinking. Perhaps a Duke or Chubby 1 in synthetic might be worth a try some day.

I have never tried, nor have I ever even considered using a synthetic shave brush. I absolutely love my smallish Simpson badger brushes! ...but then again, this thread has got me thinking. Perhaps a Duke or Chubby 1 in synthetic might be worth a try some day.
You could also grab a Simpson Trafalgar (I have a t2) for a cheap travel brush. Synths are wonderful for how fast they dry, making them idea for getaways.

Mine barely squeeks into a pill container (pictured below).
f203720f91300870fa145c0adc87b1a9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I believe @BarberDave just started his first of four reviews on 4 *ahem* "special" soaps that could up the challenge level of your shaves. 🤪

Of course, a safe bet might be a wonderful soap in a metal tin, especially now that the FAIRWAYS are turning green might take your mind away from boring and into dreamland. Of course, the maker's initials are the same as mine (My middle name starts with C! :))

Would you believe I left those tins in a drawer in my office? Besides, with the CH2 wreaking pure havoc on the PdP, I smell blood. I’m in it to win it.

In a few days, my month using the Asylum Cheswick will be done and I'm thinking of going back to the Chubby2 (used in May) rather than rotating to my 3rd synth, the Yaqi Sagrada.

I have 6 synths (Chubby 2; Cade Synthetic; Kent Infinity; Rudy Vey custom with Mühle knot; DR Harris synth; Body Shop synthetic), and have now run through them all, using each for one month straight. I favor them in the order listed. I will go through the rest of the year rotating through again, but I will not use the Body Shop brush (life’s too short). Back to the Cade synthetic again to finish off the PdP and start on Trumper’s Rose. This is going to be good.

The Cade synthetic is doing a great job with Trumper’s Rose. The lather is noticeably inferior to PdP, but is still more than acceptable. I don’t think my experience would be as good with a natural hair brush.

Have you been able to make a run to the office yet, Bob, and pick up the SCS?
The Chubby 2 synth is doing a much better job with my modern Williams than the Asylum Cheswick. I truly do appreciate this big ol' brush, which is strange, as I generally disklike dense knots, but this is special.

Have you been able to make a run to the office yet, Bob, and pick up the SCS?
The Chubby 2 synth is doing a much better job with my modern Williams than the Asylum Cheswick. I truly do appreciate this big ol' brush, which is strange, as I generally disklike dense knots, but this is special.

Not yet, but I’m about out of paper and need to grab a ream from the storage closet. I can’t say enough good things about the Chubby synthetic. There is nothing wrong with the other synths (I love the Cade synth and Mühle as well), but the Simpson is in a league of its own.

Not yet, but I’m about out of paper and need to grab a ream from the storage closet. I can’t say enough good things about the Chubby synthetic. There is nothing wrong with the other synths (I love the Cade synth and Mühle as well), but the Simpson is in a league of its own.
Too jump in that Simpson Chubby Syn is a great brush for sure
.I was using my Stirling Syn most of the time but the Simpson is a beast. That Stirling is a wicked agitator too😎

Back