The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2020 - Year of the Synth

woodpusher

TSC’s International Man of Meh
2020 ... 20/20 The name is synonymous with perfect vision, and I hope to see clearly in 2020 whether synths are "da bomb" or "da stink bomb."

Starting Jan.01, I will begin my "Year of the Synth" adventure and see how far I can get down this path. I normally use my brushes in a one-week rotation, which means that I use each of my six (6) brushes for about two (2) months per years. Let's see if my good opinion of them changes if I use them constantly.

Right now I only have a pair (with no plans at the moment for more):
- Chubby 2, snyth
- Yaqi Sagrada

Both are very nice, but also very different in face feel.

Easy peazy! I probably use a synth 95% of the year!

Not used a Simpson’s yet, but the Yaqi is great! Hope your view is favorable at the end of it all!

2019 was year of the Synth for me. Probabably the first year I used a Synth more often than a badger.

I have been all synthetic since mid 2016, I think. Face didn't like the badger brush I had, and boar was too much scitch! 5 synthetic brushes now, with the 2 SynBad brushes getting the most use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

After I got my two Paladin's I haven't used a synth other than for traveling. Until Chris sent me that restored Barbershop, now I'm back on the synth train.

I still prefer a good badger for feel, but synths have a lot going for them for sure.

I definitely use badgers more often, but my synthetics are no slouch. Good luck with your science, Sam!

As I check my usage stats I have the Chubby 1 and Yaqi SF are neck and neck at 25 each this year. I have 22 brushes though and I rotate through them all. Next highest synth would be the 6th spot APShave Co. Silk Smoke at 12. Love the synths I have but the Badgers rule the roost.

I have 3 synthetics. A Stirling that goes basically unused (great brush, but the other 2 perform great as well), and 2 Sorrentinos. One is the TSC Legacy brush with a tuxedo fan knot and the other is a tuxedo bulb knot. I do use both boar and badger as well, but 90% of the time I reach for a synthetic.

Good luck. I'm 92% synth these days (11 of 12). The only reason I still have a badger is because it's a really nice custom Envy Silvertip that I won from a massive Rico's Corner giveaway. It's a shedder, though, and Nathan already replaced the knot for me once, so when it loses too many fibers, I'll probably have it reknotted to a synth.

I have 3 synthetics. A Stirling that goes basically unused (great brush, but the other 2 perform great as well), and 2 Sorrentinos. One is the TSC Legacy brush with a tuxedo fan knot and the other is a tuxedo bulb knot. I do use both boar and badger as well, but 90% of the time I reach for a synthetic.

This is the only forum in existence where you could say you have a Sorrentino and have anyone know what you mean lol. Love you guys.

Back