The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2020 is all about the Fruits! Well Fruit Cakes that is...

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
2020 has turned out to be a complete dumpster fire of a year with only the birth of Danger Baby being the bright spot. The rest of it just sucks. But the holidays afford me the opportunity to make one of my favorite holiday treats...Fruit Cake! Okay, so I know what you all are thinking..."fruit cake? You mean that brick that you get as a gift if no one likes you?" Well...yeah...sort of. Don't get me wrong...if presented with that brick that no one eats...I might use it as a self defense weapon...but I will likely partake in that dense treat.

1607539826781.png

Yeah...I like fruit cake. But...the fruit cake that I make is only representative of that desert that can be used as a foundation of a house in name only. I don't use candied fruit or citron or anything else that might glow in the dark before consumption. I use real dried fruit and then bathe them in booze for at least a few days. Anyway...here are some pictures of one of the cakes I made in the past>>>

1607539996848.png1607540026823.png1607540060624.png1607540097309.png1607540145214.png

Well...Life has been a little busy for me lately...you know...Danger Baby and all. And while I am a little behind the power curve...I still want to show off my fruit cake! I'll likely forgo the full two weeks of spritzing, but that doesn't mean I can't booze it up a bit.

Hopefully I will begin to macerate the fruit tonight. That's right...I said macerate...it doesn't mean what you think it means...or maybe it does. But that is what I am going to do. I would love to say that I am going to use my grandmas secret recipe that dates back to 1809...but I am not. I have tried a few fruit cake recipes and I still like the Alton Brown - Free Range Fruit Cake the best. You can find it here: Free Range Fruitcake

So...follow along if you will in this wonderful adventure into unknown possibilities...or just stick around to see me screw up...it's all the same to me.

I love fruitcake! But admittedly I've not had any good fruitcakes..... only the Claxton or similar.

Also a fruitcake lover! I only have had store bought though, never had homemade sadly. I never have been able to understand the supposed wide-spread hatred for it.

Also a lover of stollen!

My brother and I sent the same fruitcake back and forth to each other for over 10 years. Older brother wanted in the loop, so we sent it to him and that ended it. I hope he didn’t try to eat it. I got it at Woolworths before ours closed.

My brother and I sent the same fruitcake back and forth to each other for over 10 years. Older brother wanted in the loop, so we sent it to him and that ended it. I hope he didn’t try to eat it. I got it at Woolworths before ours closed.
I totally would have eaten it!

I only looked at the pictures. Don made bread out of chili?

Okay...as mentioned before...I am loosely following this recipe: Free Range Fruitcake . I say loosely, because I have made a little of this my own. Well, tonight I finally got the dried fruit in a bowl and booze poured over the fruit...and it is all in the fridge just soaking it in for the next couple of days. The recipe does not fall for figs...but I like figs and so those got added. I added about a half a cup to three quarters of a cup of dried figs that I coarsely chopped.

Last year I used brandy for my soaking liquid and it turned out very good. Since brandy has that grape/raisin flavor already...it just added to the deep fruity flavor. This year I am going with a dark/spiced rum. Why? Well, because it is what I had. I think it will do just fine. Anyway...here are the picks so far...

1607647184660.png1607647213352.png1607647242397.png

Back