The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

So day one and I'm already skipping my weights........

HOWEVER, when I got home from work I took the weed eater out and did the upper bank, around the garage, both sheds, and the house. Then since the battery on the rider is junk, I push mowed 80% of our 1 acre yard. (Well Chrissy did about 20% of the 80)

The bad (good for cardio i guess?) part of that is the entire yard is on a bank. In the span of my 24 foot garage it goes from ground level to 3 feet of exposed foundation. Same with the house. Only right in front of the house and right in front of the garage are flat(ish) for about 20 feet out to the road.
In about 200 feet of road front, there is probably 20 feet of total drop...

So yeah.... I skipped weights....
I think we all will agree that push mowing a yard...A BIG YARD...is definitely exercise!

Day one, did one hour of heated yoga. wasnt too bad, also fasted from 6am to 2 pm. may change this up though. thinknig about eating earlier in the day and starting my fast around 4 or 5
I struggle with figuring out fasting times. I find fasting in the morning is easiest for me. But fasting in the afternoon/evening is more effective for me.

I fast from 6pm until noon the next day......and I've never lost any weight. So I call BS on that.

took a rest day yesterday. took the dog for an 45 min walk in the evening and called it a day. gonna do some more hot yoga later on in the afternoon.

I fast from 6pm until noon the next day......and I've never lost any weight. So I call BS on that.
So...I want to put out there first that I am not a fasting guy. I don't like it. Though I do find it useful.

Also everyone is definitely very individual and it may not work for some people. As a tool, fasting and even intermittent fasting isn't always about losing weight.

That being said, if you are using fasting as a tool to lose weight...you can't fast for a specific period of time, cram 3000 calories in a short time frame and still expect to lose weight. There has to be some changes in dietary habits.

The more I read about aging and weight lose, I lean more in the camp that fasting as you get older might not be the best thing for you. Just my opinion though.

Didn't get up early this morning to work out. But I've made up for it by doing yard work. I've been planting trees for the last 4-5 hours. Going back out for a bit more.
Yard work is definitely hard work!

Well my workouts didn't go as I would have liked this short week, but it's really okay. Got a little bit of walking in and the weekend I am sure is full of chores and yard work. Next week is our first full week of the challenge and I for one will be happy to get back on a regular workout routine. I made such great strides last year and felt really good about myself. I need to get back there. Would love to lose a couple inches around the belly, but strength is priority. And then some good cardio for the ticker.

I'm in the last few weeks of a weight gain phase. In the past, due to popular wisdom, the phases were fairly aggressive, and there was a lot of fat coming along for the ride. But more and more folks are thinking, it may be best to slow it down so you can ride the phase for as long as possible. That's been since Oct IIRC, which is pretty good indeed for me. And the waistline change has been tolerable.
I feel stronger at this size, so I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to handle the fat loss phase. I.e. how fast, and how lean, I want to go this time.
My first few years of this, doing things 'by the book' and using current 'evidence based' info probably just led to some serious stagnation. But I've learned a lot, and also realize I have no interest in competing, so reasonably lean is good enough. But for sure I feel like it's time to loose a little of the belly, and then do it all over again.

My current schedule is:
Mon: Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench 1 + 2x sets (In other words a top set then 2 down sets) 6-10 reps top set / 10-15 reps down sets
30° Incline DB Bench 2 + 1x 10-15 / 15-20
JM Press 3x 10-15

Tue: Ballet & Biceps/Shoulders
EZ Bar Curl 2 + 1
Incline DB Curl 3x
Seated DB Lateral Raise 3x

Wed: Lower
Barbell Squat 1 + 2 + 1
Leg Extension 2x
1-Leg Leg Extension 2x
Seated Leg Curl 3 + 1x
Hip Machine 2x both ways

Thu: Back & Shoulder
Machine Shoulder Press 1+1+1x
V-Handle Pulldown 1+1+1x
Machine High Row 1+1+1x
1-Arm Pulldown 1+1+1x
DB Lateral Raise 3x
Leaning Lateral Raise 3x
Cable Lengthen Partial Lateral 1 + 1x
Cable Archer's Pull 3x

Fri: Ballet & Chest + Triceps
DB 45° Incline Press 3x
Push Up 3x
Cable Triceps Pushdown 1 + 2x
Cable Triceps 1-Arm Overhead Extension 3x (time permitting)

Sat/Sun Ballet & Lower + Back (somewhat optional depending on time and energy)
Sumo Deadlift 1x
Stiff Leg Deadlift 2x
Cable Low Row 3x
Cable 1-Arm High Row 3x
Cable Biceps Curl 3x
Cable 1-Arm Forward Facing Biceps Curl 3x
Cable Hammer Curl 3x

So...I want to put out there first that I am not a fasting guy. I don't like it. Though I do find it useful.

Also everyone is definitely very individual and it may not work for some people. As a tool, fasting and even intermittent fasting isn't always about losing weight.

That being said, if you are using fasting as a tool to lose weight...you can't fast for a specific period of time, cram 3000 calories in a short time frame and still expect to lose weight. There has to be some changes in dietary habits.

The more I read about aging and weight lose, I lean more in the camp that fasting as you get older might not be the best thing for you. Just my opinion though.
i dont really like the whole fasting thing either, because it feels like if you dont do it the right way your stuck tryin to get your meals in to closely together. maybe im doing something wrong, but im not sure how much longer i will be doing the intermittment fasting. just something i wanted to give a try.

The main reason IF works for dieting, is just that you generally don't eat as much as you would otherwise.
Before the people against IF were mostly coming at it from a protein distribution perspective, there was an idea that if you ate more than 25-30g at a time, it would be 'wasted' by the body.
Thankfully one of the big research stories this year has been, that's BS! You can bunch all your protein up and your body will use the vast majority of it in the fasting periods.
So if IF works for you, great. And if it doesn't, don't do it, you don't need to, just find another way to eat less.
In either case, do your best to get enough protein though.

I'm in the last few weeks of a weight gain phase. In the past, due to popular wisdom, the phases were fairly aggressive, and there was a lot of fat coming along for the ride. But more and more folks are thinking, it may be best to slow it down so you can ride the phase for as long as possible. That's been since Oct IIRC, which is pretty good indeed for me. And the waistline change has been tolerable.
I feel stronger at this size, so I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to handle the fat loss phase. I.e. how fast, and how lean, I want to go this time.
My first few years of this, doing things 'by the book' and using current 'evidence based' info probably just led to some serious stagnation. But I've learned a lot, and also realize I have no interest in competing, so reasonably lean is good enough. But for sure I feel like it's time to loose a little of the belly, and then do it all over again.

My current schedule is:
Mon: Chest/Triceps
Flat Bench 1 + 2x sets (In other words a top set then 2 down sets) 6-10 reps top set / 10-15 reps down sets
30° Incline DB Bench 2 + 1x 10-15 / 15-20
JM Press 3x 10-15

Tue: Ballet & Biceps/Shoulders
EZ Bar Curl 2 + 1
Incline DB Curl 3x
Seated DB Lateral Raise 3x

Wed: Lower
Barbell Squat 1 + 2 + 1
Leg Extension 2x
1-Leg Leg Extension 2x
Seated Leg Curl 3 + 1x
Hip Machine 2x both ways

Thu: Back & Shoulder
Machine Shoulder Press 1+1+1x
V-Handle Pulldown 1+1+1x
Machine High Row 1+1+1x
1-Arm Pulldown 1+1+1x
DB Lateral Raise 3x
Leaning Lateral Raise 3x
Cable Lengthen Partial Lateral 1 + 1x
Cable Archer's Pull 3x

Fri: Ballet & Chest + Triceps
DB 45° Incline Press 3x
Push Up 3x
Cable Triceps Pushdown 1 + 2x
Cable Triceps 1-Arm Overhead Extension 3x (time permitting)

Sat/Sun Ballet & Lower + Back (somewhat optional depending on time and energy)
Sumo Deadlift 1x
Stiff Leg Deadlift 2x
Cable Low Row 3x
Cable 1-Arm High Row 3x
Cable Biceps Curl 3x
Cable 1-Arm Forward Facing Biceps Curl 3x
Cable Hammer Curl 3x
Cole that is a serious workout! I know you have been doing this for a very long time so you know what you are doing...but good lord. That is some serious dedication. But serious question...how do you deal with recovery? That's a lot in a six day week. Your body is probably better off than mine (not being wrecked by the military and other irresponsible things I did in the past), but that is still a lot. I understand that it isn't six days of full body workouts, ,but it s still a lot. Just curious.

The main reason IF works for dieting, is just that you generally don't eat as much as you would otherwise.
Before the people against IF were mostly coming at it from a protein distribution perspective, there was an idea that if you ate more than 25-30g at a time, it would be 'wasted' by the body.
Thankfully one of the big research stories this year has been, that's BS! You can bunch all your protein up and your body will use the vast majority of it in the fasting periods.
So if IF works for you, great. And if it doesn't, don't do it, you don't need to, just find another way to eat less.
In either case, do your best to get enough protein though.
I am so glad you mentioned this! Limits of protein distribution has been one of those things that a lot of people of "kind of known" about for a while by way of anecdote. But the evidence based people wouldn't let it go. That upper limit of quality protein consumption, especially after a workout, is pretty much limitless in the self limiting sort of what. If you can eat it...your body can use it. I have been moving toward a higher protein intake of leaner proteins myself. And just recently I am trying the high protein with higher fiber intake. I have a real problem with portion control and thus caloric intake. A look at my genetic makeup and I have several genes that don't help me out in this arena. I definitely have satiety signals all messed up. So I am trying to up what is most satiating. It's another one of my let's try it out and see things.

Cole that is a serious workout! I know you have been doing this for a very long time so you know what you are doing...but good lord. That is some serious dedication. But serious question...how do you deal with recovery? That's a lot in a six day week. Your body is probably better off than mine (not being wrecked by the military and other irresponsible things I did in the past), but that is still a lot. I understand that it isn't six days of full body workouts, ,but it s still a lot. Just curious.
See, it's just a lifestyle for me. I started doing physical stuff in my mid 20's after struggling with depression and weird blood sugar issues. My girlfriend at the time had a best friend who dated a pro skater, and we started hanging out, and I got into skating, then snowboarding when I moved here for work.
It really normal just to go skate or ride everyday after work, didn't really think about it. But I did notice I was having way less of the afore mentioned problems.

I was stretching quite a bit at that time, because it helped with the soreness, that led to eventually getting into yoga. A difficult divorce got me to shift priorities, and I got seriously into yoga, and found I was naturally good at it. Unlike boardsports, they were just fun.

I lost my job here, and realized it would be impossible to find another as a foreigner, so moved into full time yoga. The yoga I did was seriously hard core, 2 hours a day minimum and then teaching 6 days a week. 3-4 hour sessions weren't unusual though. So I guess you can say I built up to it.

Training at the gym is so much more self moderated, that I don't have a problem.

The other thing is I deload every 5th week, just light training, according to my mood. So that's the main thing I do for recovery.
But my life circumstances are such that I can make time for it, if I had a normal job, something would be scaled back for sure.
Finally I just know what I can do, and moderate how heavy I lift, rep ranges, volume etc so it works. I have friends who are WAY stronger and they have totally different set ups that work for them.

But that's me, and it's definitely not for most people to do!

Oddly though, most of my clients come to me with a 5-6 day a week training history. A lot of times I actually work to wean them back, because I can see it's not working for them. Progress isn't happening, frequent niggles, and frequent weeks where everything just falls apart randomly.

So, the real key is to find an amount of training that you can consistently hit each week. There's limitless ways of doing it. If you find everything is falling apart regularly then, it's time for a rethink. I'm not a big believer in 'will power' you need to find what you can consistently and organically do at first. Build from there step by step.

did a hot pilattes class yesterday at 11:00 am legs were pretty sore. did some what they call yin yoga at the local studio, lots of stretching. then they had a sound bath i wanted to try out from 7 to 930. so i did a lot of yoga last night. may work out today, legs are slightly sore but not too bad.

went for an hours walk today while gma had lunch with a friend. did some more hot yoga in the evening time, which was another hour. dont feel so beat today. actually feeling pretty good right know. may or may not take tomrrow off.

Back