The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

I have two goals.....to drink more water and to walk more.

I used to have a fitbit which is lost among the remaining boxes of our move so I won't be tracking my steps. I currently walk just where I need to but I intend to take a walk around the building at work each day and to try to make the walk a bit longer each time. Eventually I'd like to be going around the block once a day (its a very long block).

And I'm very bad about drinking plenty of water (yes, I live in a desert) but I want to get up to the recommended 2 liters a day. I bought a stainless tumbler and brought it to work....so I'm ready to start that goal this morning.
People don’t realize how powerful walking can be. It’s powerful and one of the most convenient ways to exercise!

Post and Copy Below this Line
________________________________________________________________________________________

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo

Okay I will play. My goal is 15 pounds down in 6 weeks. Why 6 weeks? Well we are going to Hawaii and while I do a pretty good job at rocking the dad bod... i'd like the dad bod to be a little bit smaller.
We have another victim! I believe in you Chad! Rock that svelte dad bod!

i'll give this a shot My goal will be to see if i can loose another 10 to 15 pounds doing hot yoga.

Post and Copy Below this Line
________________________________________________________________________________________

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver
Hot yoga is an interesting one. But whatever you enjoy and will help you along!

Thanks for the mention @Spider. I'd been thinking about signing up, but this is sort of my job, so just felt a bit weird. That said, I'm semi-retired, don't have a ton of clients, and think it could be fun. I'll do my best just to shut up and enjoy everyone else's comments.

My goals, A) Not to quit ballet. This is by far the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life, and the school I was studying at went bankrupt a month or so ago. It's wound up forcing me to go up in level to classes that are frankly over my head, and in that world, it seems to be sink or swim. Still, it's really been a huge balance to mostly just lifting weights for the last 4 years or so.
B) I weight train very regularly, it's a lifestyle at this point. With phases where I'm purposefully gaining weight. I'm come to the tail end of my best season of massing and planing to start losing some fat in about 3 weeks. Since this was already the plan, hopefully that's ok here.

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver
7. HMan
It’s more than okay! I appreciate you doing this and sharing. Hopefully we can learn something from your experiences!

Sorry I haven’t been more present. I have had a busy go of it lately and life hasn’t slowed down. I’ll get my goal up today or tomorrow.

I guess it is my turn to add a goal or two. Last year I adhered to a specific strength training program and I saw some really good results. My job changed in October and that really messed up my routine, to the point that I my diet and exercise went out the window. In February, my job changed again. So now...I spend more time driving and have less time to workout. The good news is that my new job has a fully equipped gym. I mean this thing is better than most gyms I have paid for. The other good thing is that my work allows me to use up to three hours of week during work hours to workout or exercise. So I have some built in things now to help me out. These all play into my goals. So...what are my goals?

Strength training - A minimum of Three lift days a week. I am debating on continuing my program from before (it's a Novice Linear Program or NLP for those who lift - essentially it is a rotation of Squat, Press, Bench Press, and Dead Lift - 3-5 warmup sets starting with bar only and working up to 75-80% workout load - then three sets of five - each daily workout increases by five pounds until failure). If I don't do that program it is going to be a four day split to let me recover more. Two lifts on each day and continue in a fashion like the NLP with a rest day on Wed.

Cardio - Two days of zone two cardio and one day of high intensity intervals. Zone two cardio for those who don't know is a lower and steady form of cardio. If you listen to exercise experts...zone two is basically some form of cardio exercise sustained for 20 minutes or more in which you can carry a conversation with a friend but just barely. The high intensity intervals will be something like cardio on an assault bike. 1 minute all out and then 2 to 3 minutes reduced pace. Repeat and continue for 20-30 minutes.

Okay...so that is where I am at for my goals. This week since we are starting in the middle of the week I am just going to get three days of cardio in. Next week I will add in the three days of strength training. So next week will look something like:

Monday - Strength Training
Tuesday - Zone 2 Cardio
Wed - Strength Training
Thursday - Zone 2 Cardio
Friday - Strength Training and High Intensity Intervals after the Strength Training.

If for some reason I don't get the cardio in on Friday I will try it on Saturday.

Anyway...hope you all get something out of it. If you are just reading this...get in on this challenge this week and you are still eligible for the May prize. But honestly, the real prize is just figuring out what works for you and getting healthier!

I want to say a big thank you for those who are in on this! It is only two months but a lot of good can happen in two months...like building good habits! This is the list so far. Let me know if I missed someone. And if someone wants to get in on this, just copy and past the list below and then before Sunday...state a goal!

1. dangerousdon
2. Spider
3. Heysi
4. Shawnf
5. CVargo
6. novicewetshaver
7. HMan

It is only two months but a lot of good can happen in two months...like building good habits!
That's why I joined! I know I've been needing to get back into working out, just needed that kick in the pants to get started. So Thank You!

Gotta Start somewhere. Today I got up 30 min early, to ease into waking up early. I went to bed at 11, and it wasn't horrible waking up, but once I started working out it felt good. I did some basic stretching, which I need to do a lot more of. Then come light calisthenics. Then I did 5x5 Squat and Bench with empty bar.

Feeling good so far.

That's why I joined! I know I've been needing to get back into working out, just needed that kick in the pants to get started. So Thank You!

Gotta Start somewhere. Today I got up 30 min early, to ease into waking up early. I went to bed at 11, and it wasn't horrible waking up, but once I started working out it felt good. I did some basic stretching, which I need to do a lot more of. Then come light calisthenics. Then I did 5x5 Squat and Bench with empty bar.

Feeling good so far.
Great stuff KJ! And kudos to you for not going balls to the wall on the first day!

I started a few days early......because I was worried I'd get lazy or too busy at work.

So far I've walked 2 of the 3 days......extra duty around the building and after lunch, a quick circuit all the way around the building. By the end of the week I should be heading down to end of the block and back (I don't have a lot of time on my breaks but my pace is increasing....so the whole block should be accomplishable by next week.

I'm up to over a liter of water per day. Today is the first day where I'm starting the day with water so I'm confident that I'll get closer to 2 liters by the end of the week. I'm now hoping to get to closer to 3 liters by next month. Its the increased number of pee breaks that I'm experiencing that is throwing me off. Who knew that with more water in.....there'd be more water out?

But I'm off to a good start. Thanks @dangerousdon for this kick in the rear to get me moving.

I started a few days early......because I was worried I'd get lazy or too busy at work.

So far I've walked 2 of the 3 days......extra duty around the building and after lunch, a quick circuit all the way around the building. By the end of the week I should be heading down to end of the block and back (I don't have a lot of time on my breaks but my pace is increasing....so the whole block should be accomplishable by next week.

I'm up to over a liter of water per day. Today is the first day where I'm starting the day with water so I'm confident that I'll get closer to 2 liters by the end of the week. I'm now hoping to get to closer to 3 liters by next month. Its the increased number of pee breaks that I'm experiencing that is throwing me off. Who knew that with more water in.....there'd be more water out?

But I'm off to a good start. Thanks @dangerousdon for this kick in the rear to get me moving.
All great stuff! The walking is amazing. People don't understand how powerful walking can be. Both for physical health and mental health. Keep up the good work. Increasing water initially does become interesting when it comes to how much excess you need to eliminate. But your body will adjust.

So day one and I'm already skipping my weights........

HOWEVER, when I got home from work I took the weed eater out and did the upper bank, around the garage, both sheds, and the house. Then since the battery on the rider is junk, I push mowed 80% of our 1 acre yard. (Well Chrissy did about 20% of the 80)

The bad (good for cardio i guess?) part of that is the entire yard is on a bank. In the span of my 24 foot garage it goes from ground level to 3 feet of exposed foundation. Same with the house. Only right in front of the house and right in front of the garage are flat(ish) for about 20 feet out to the road.
In about 200 feet of road front, there is probably 20 feet of total drop...

So yeah.... I skipped weights....

Back