The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your Tool of Choice? SR, SE or DE

I have 4 razors that I reach for more than any others. A slant DE, a GEM, an injector, and a straight. I am still not quite as good with the straight as I would like to be, but I can still obtain an easy 2 pass DFS with it. I would have to start shaving with it everyday to get better. The GEM gets me closer than anything else. The other 2 are still able to give me great BBS shaves, they just don't last as long.

DE. I've tried injector, GEM, and AC SEs but I prefer DEs. I'd like to use straights but I don't want to get into the time and cost of maintaining them.

I use whatever I grab out of the cabinet that day. I tend to use more straights or SE, but do still pick up a DE occasionally.

Straights don't need to take a lot of time. Stropping only takes a minute to do, and just like anything else, once you learn it, it's just muscle memory.
I actually timed my shave the other night because I was talking about it with someone else. I started the timer, took my brush out of the soaking bowl, made my lather, did one pass, rinsed, re-lathered, did a second pass, rinsed my face and cleaned my brush, then stopped the timer.
7 minutes 43 seconds for a 2 pass BBS straight razor shave with no cuts. If you include pre and post stropping, it's still only a 10 minute shave.

Honing is like anything else as far as cost. You can do a few bucks and stay with film, or you can spend hundreds on a single finisher. Once the bevel is set, just a little maintenance will last you a very long time. Honing takes a bit more to learn, but it's doable. There are people that do an awesome job willing to do it for you that can save you some time and initial cost also.

I have come to prefer the straight edge. From a performance/results perspective I find the Straight Edge and single blade injector type razors are best. This includes the vintage Schick and Colonial General type SE's.

My thoughts and experience are very much like ShawnF's. The straights can take a little more maintenance time but in the grand scheme of things it's not much.

Back