The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Your First Rabbit Hole

I was thinking today (I know, dangerous!). I wasn't holding any sharp objects while I thought, got to be safe.

But I was thinking about how fun it was when I went down my first shaving rabbit hole. For me, it was vintage razors. I was content using a few different low priced modern razors up till that moment. The moment I refer to is when I got my first Gillette Fat Handle Tech. No, correction... when I first used the Fat Handle Tech. It was a Prewar Tech, & I thought I had just gone to heaven. WOWZER! That shave was the best shave any man had ever had, no doubt! Once I discovered a razor 75 years old could deliver a shave like that, I had to learn if it was possible that I had just found the world's best razor on my first try or if there were other razors that could deliver that smooth & efficient of a shave. Well, I don't know how many razors I've purchased & sold, but it's somewhere between 4 - 983. And the Prewar Fat Handle Tech will always have a special place in my heart... & my den!

What got you to jump into your first shaving rabbit hole?

IMG_3132.jpg

I was pushed....... I have not seen daylight since. What starts out simple enough, and a seemingly small opening that you stick your head into opens up into a massive cavern with slick walls that absorb the cries for help. But after awhile it becomes home, LOL

Tom Petty Said it best on the "Into the Great Wide Open Album

Hi, I'm FarmerTan, and I'm an aftershavaholic.

Yeah, I got it bad. My drug of choice is vintage Avon.

I have only bought it when found in the Wild for quite some time now, but I still have a propensity to search on the 'Bay.

I am so weak!

I guess my first rabbit hole was vintage Gillettes. I used pretty much the same soap and brush for years, but acquired a modest collection of representative Gillettes. Then, about a year ago, I discovered all the new soaps and Aftershaves that are now available. Since then, I've bought more of each than I can ever use. I have a lot of blades too, but I'm not tempted to get more of them, but soaps are hard to resist. That being said, I just bought my first adjustable Gillette, a Fatboy. I'm going to try and exercise some restraint the rest of the year and use some of what I've got, and then consider a PIF in the new year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm FarmerTan, and I'm an aftershavaholic.

Yeah, I got it bad. My drug of choice is vintage Avon.

I have only bought it when found in the Wild for quite some time now, but I still have a propensity to search on the 'Bay.

I am so weak!
Please post a pic of the collection and list the scents you have here for us.

...soaps for sure and lately @NurseDave journal that's a scary and confusing place for a noob, just sayin'
I like to think I make it easy to go on a buying hiatus. Don't want to buy more soaps? Okay, lets get you a fancy new razor. Or have you tried talc? Not going to buy shaving related things for a while? No problem, lets get you into a nice red wine or a fountain pen. 🧐

I like to think I make it easy to go on a buying hiatus. Don't want to buy more soaps? Okay, lets get you a fancy new razor. Or have you tried talc? Not going to buy shaving related things for a while? No problem, lets get you into a nice red wine or a fountain pen. 🧐
...mine is vinyl records, no wait, bowling, no wait socks, it never ends. I feel your pain good sir sabaticals just lead my down a different rabbit hole. See you at the bottom....😎

Well I owned a EJ 89lbl, Muhle R41 and Rockwell 6C in that order and then I bought this guy...
BD1FEB23-9E20-4227-B2B0-C306E3BFEB4B.jpeg
For a whopping $6 on the Bay! NOS Canadian Tech from 1953...41 vintage Gillette later I am still in the hunt. 64 in total. With exception of this one which is still NOS I have one more in the package which is a 1969 Gold Gillette Super Adjustable 109 04 which is birth year and quarter. But soaps, AS, frags...all rabbit holes I visit regularly...along with guitars, amps, pedals, Nikon, wine, whisky...oh my...

Well I owned a EJ 89lbl, Muhle R41 and Rockwell 6C in that order and then I bought this guy...
View attachment 31159
For a whopping $6 on the Bay! NOS Canadian Tech from 1953...41 vintage Gillette later I am still in the hunt. 64 in total. With exception of this one which is still NOS I have one more in the package which is a 1969 Gold Gillette Super Adjustable 109 04 which is birth year and quarter. But soaps, AS, frags...all rabbit holes I visit regularly...along with guitars, amps, pedals, Nikon, wine, whisky...oh my...
That's a very nice looking Canadian Tech.

There are rabbit holes for every pastime we enjoy, not just shaving! And compared to other hobbies, we're lucky, most shaving rabbit holes aren't as expensive... unless you're buying for your entire city! If you are, I admire your civic-minded spirit!

That's a very nice looking Canadian Tech.

There are rabbit holes for every pastime we enjoy, not just shaving! And compared to other hobbies, we're lucky, most shaving rabbit holes aren't as expensive... unless you're buying for your entire city! If you are, I admire your civic-minded spirit!
It so nice every time I think about using it...I put it back in the box....C47A85A2-0F8E-49C3-B14E-0F4C9642BCB3.jpeg

Back