The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yardley Shaving Soap Appreciation Thread

Guess I need to join this club.. Got a bowl of Green Label currently in the den and a bowl of White Label on the way.. Are there any differences between them (other than the label color)?

s-l1600b.jpgil_794xN.5607771874_r281.jpg

Guess I need to join this club.. Got a bowl of Green Label currently in the den and a bowl of White Label on the way.. Are there any differences between them (other than the label color)?

View attachment 125166View attachment 125167
I’ve only ever had green. The white label is from my understanding the same as the 40’s-50’s. It’s the black label version that is the awesome unicorn of the bunch! $100-200 on a good day.

I’ve only ever had green. The white label is from my understanding the same as the 40’s-50’s. It’s the black label version that is the awesome unicorn of the bunch! $100-200 on a good day.
Seen a few of those. What makes them so desirable?

I've used Yardley shaving soaps almost exclusively since I started shaving almost 50 years ago. I have something like 9 bowls of shaving soap (2 of which are the Black Label variety), a tube of the super rare Yardley Original Shaving Cream, and something like a half dozen bottles of Yardley aftershaves (Black Label, Original, and Sinatra's favorite, Yardley's English Lavendar). I don't remember the shaving soaps having a strong scent to them, but the aftershaves did and still do. I've been told that the Ethos Sweet Lavendar shaving soap has a similar aroma to the Yardley soaps, but I can't verify the claim as I haven't used the product. If anyone has more information on current products which are similar to the vintage Yardley soaps, please let us know.
My Yardley soaps provide a smooth, wonderful shave. I would encourage all wet shavers to give one a try. The cost can be a bit excessive sometimes and I could do as well or better with many modern soaps. Life long habit and nostalgia always seem to bring me back to my roots.
Happy Shaves One and All
P.S. Please feel free to send me any vintage Yardley Shaving Soaps that you don't need or want. I promise that I will give them a good home.

I've used Yardley shaving soaps almost exclusively since I started shaving almost 50 years ago
Cool! That's awesome! Welcome to the Cadre.

Be sure to head on over to the Newbie Forum and introduce yourself. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge we could learn from!

I've used Yardley shaving soaps almost exclusively since I started shaving almost 50 years ago. I have something like 9 bowls of shaving soap (2 of which are the Black Label variety), a tube of the super rare Yardley Original Shaving Cream, and something like a half dozen bottles of Yardley aftershaves (Black Label, Original, and Sinatra's favorite, Yardley's English Lavendar). I don't remember the shaving soaps having a strong scent to them, but the aftershaves did and still do. I've been told that the Ethos Sweet Lavendar shaving soap has a similar aroma to the Yardley soaps, but I can't verify the claim as I haven't used the product. If anyone has more information on current products which are similar to the vintage Yardley soaps, please let us know.
My Yardley soaps provide a smooth, wonderful shave. I would encourage all wet shavers to give one a try. The cost can be a bit excessive sometimes and I could do as well or better with many modern soaps. Life long habit and nostalgia always seem to bring me back to my roots.
Happy Shaves One and All
P.S. Please feel free to send me any vintage Yardley Shaving Soaps that you don't need or want. I promise that I will give them a good home.
Absolutely stellar first post!!!! I’m head over heels in love with my yardley too! Congrats on all the black label, I still haven’t found any at a price I’m willing to pay. I agree wholeheartedly about the strength of the aftershaves, they are great!

I personally have not found anything with a scent that is as light and clean a lavender as yardley, but the ethos does sound nice!

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your words of welcome. I'm sure you've seen this already, but there is a vendor on a popular auction site (the one that rhymes with Day) who is selling many bowls of Yardley Original shaving soap. Most of my stash is the same as the goods on offer. There is no fragrance in the soap at this age, but it lathers nicely and provides a very comfortable shave if you're using a DE or SE razor.
Cheers

Back