The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yardley Shaving Soap Appreciation Thread

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
I’ve become a huge fan of Vintage Yardley Shaving soap! I’m sure a number of you are as well.

Post your Yardley stash, lather photos, and general impressions here!

I’ll go first:

I currently have 7 bowls of Yardley and one bottle of Yardley Aftershave. I started out with a half used puck from a BST listing over a year ago and really got bit by the bug!!! I was the owner of 9 bowls and have since given two away as Christmas presents.

My collection consists of 4 bowls of 1940’s-50’s and 3 bowls of late 50’s-60’s. Five of them are NOS, one I’m using, and the last one, just had been lightly used and still had the Yardley imprint.
069F52C8-DEB6-4837-AF3E-C03989CF4993.jpeg
D7B592EE-12A8-4CFC-8E03-08AE06196484.jpeg
193F66AC-C33C-4268-9BF8-87E2BD871CCD.jpeg
Personally I’m a big fan of the dense, protective, and ultra slick lather it provides. Most pucks have a slight lavender scent to them, but it can be faint. For me, this is just fine and it makes it work with any aftershave combination. It makes me feel as though I have a real connection to the past when shaving with one of these vintage soaps. It’s a real luxury shave when I use it and that’s the way it would have been considered back then as well. I’ve seen 1940’s print ads listing the soap for $1-1.50, which would be around $20-30 today. Not many men could have afforded it at that time, so I’m assuming it would have been a holiday treat for many.

Great thread and awesome info! I am a beneficiary of your kindness and have one of these Yardley Bowls. Thanks! After I get through a few SV samples I will definitely try out and work on this bowl!

I have a bottle of Yardley AS, but I've never tried the soap. I have an empty Yardley bowl in my display case, but it was empty when I acquired it. Luckily, I have a bowl with soap en route so I will be able to add my thoughts to this thread soon!

Luckily, I have a bowl with soap en route so I will be able to add my thoughts to this thread soon!
OH SNAP...shots fired :ROFLMAO:

iu

I have a bottle of Yardley AS, but I've never tried the soap. I have an empty Yardley bowl in my display case, but it was empty when I acquired it. Luckily, I have a bowl with soap en route so I will be able to add my thoughts to this thread soon!
Looking forward to your impressions! If you picked up the bowl I'm thinking of, you got quite the deal! Hope you like it as much as I do!

hey matt, whats a good overall price to pay for some vintage yardley, an aftershave and a puck? i think i saw some a while back for like 130 bux for the set. do you normally just go for the cheapest one you can find listed?

hey matt, whats a good overall price to pay for some vintage yardley, an aftershave and a puck? i think i saw some a while back for like 130 bux for the set. do you normally just go for the cheapest one you can find listed?
I’ve found they are a little cheaper separately purchased, but you can get lucky. The sets are usually $120-130 from what I’ve seen, but that’s because it’s hard to find a NOS set of basically anything, from the 1930’s-40’s. The set I have was purchased in the $80’s, but I made an offer on a buy it now that I’d been watching for weeks and got a sweet deal. As for the NOS soaps, when you see them, they range from around $45-65. Watch those listings and make an offer, but here and there you will see them pop up for $25 and you have to pounce. You will rarely find a FULL bottle of aftershave, because even in NOS condition those bottles will loose a little to evaporation. Keep watching and you’ll see an aftershave for $20 pop up and you’ll have to snap it up. Pro tip: create saved searches on eBay and you’ll get notifications and should find something in a few weeks.

Good luck!

Just in!

ED4DE627-B0F7-412A-B76D-AE21A48E58B3.jpeg

Adding to the collection…
E383A95B-D9FD-4E19-9619-84940374F0C5.jpeg
I do have the box for the AS somewhere.

6D1982A4-DB59-4C66-9B66-C35528061ADE.jpeg

And these…. One full, one empty.
4536D41D-B08E-4466-8263-9E58A22C2B0C.jpeg

Received the soap today. Cleaned off the surface. You can tell just wetting the surface and wiping your finger across it, that this is some high quality vintage soap! Used a brush to take it down a layer or two and palm lathered what I had loaded. Awesome sheen and amazing silky feel. I see why Matt likes it so much. I can’t wait to compare it to Old Spice and Williams!

Just in!

View attachment 73109

Adding to the collection…
View attachment 73110
I do have the box for the AS somewhere.

View attachment 73111

And these…. One full, one empty.
View attachment 73112

Received the soap today. Cleaned off the surface. You can tell just wetting the surface and wiping your finger across it, that this is some high quality vintage soap! Used a brush to take it down a layer or two and palm lathered what I had loaded. Awesome sheen and amazing silky feel. I see why Matt likes it so much. I can’t wait to compare it to Old Spice and Williams!
Awesome collection KJ! I also have one of the talc containers like the one on the left. It is definitely the most substantial and elegant example of a talc container that I've ever seen. Lenthric(another soap very similar to Yardley) had a very similar design to their talc bottles, but they were made of bakelite with a similar opening mechanism.

Thanks to Matt’s sabbatical, I was able to pick these two up as well.
8CB00A5A-A7FE-4F42-8B8E-C7A617DB06C3.jpeg88042141-73E0-479C-AD77-E3129FC0B965.jpeg

I was a bit concerned with the one with the pits in it from the eBay pics, but when it arrived I can still see the yardley imprinted on the soap. That will be the one I use first. The other still has the plastic film on the soap, so I believe it to have not been used.

Thanks to Matt’s sabbatical, I was able to pick these two up as well.
View attachment 76034View attachment 76035

I was a bit concerned with the one with the pits in it from the eBay pics, but when it arrived I can still see the yardley imprinted on the soap. That will be the one I use first. The other still has the plastic film on the soap, so I believe it to have not been used.
Glad you bought the one on the left, it was at a great price and the one on the right wasn't much more expensive if I remember correctly! Good stuff KJ!

It has been awhile, but if my memory is accurate, the regular Yardley was a little more verbena green, while the Black Label was definitely darker and richer, with more lavender, geranium, woods, and patchouli.
Too bad you don't have any or I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at you to try it lol(not by violence of course)!

I've had 5 straight shaves with Yardley in the last week! My entire den is at our new home awaiting me, so I'm only using Yardley, Nivea 2-in-1, Nivea cooling Balm, my Sorrentino Brushworks Synthetic, Gillette Red Tip, and a singular Gillette Silver blue. Absolutely fantastic grail shaves!

I'm surprised and happy to see that the prices of Yardley on the auction sites have fallen as of late! Who else loves this soap???

Back