The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yaqi synthetic - not so satisfied

Z-2

Yesterday I've got mail call - a Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic 24mm brush. Since the brush is nice itself, today I decided to try it. I never used synthetic brushes till now and was curious, reading so many comments and reviews how great are they.

My set-up was the brush, a barbon shaving cream (hungarian) and Merkur 34C+Gillette platinum blade.

I've got good lather, can't complain about that, but still prefer my cheap pure badger brush. I simply can't understand the fuss about synthetics. 2 things I realized from shave :
  1. the brush was too soft and sprayed lather all around when I create lather from cream (face lather)

2. the lather was good, but not that thick as from my badger (I use mostly cheap pure badger brushes like Shea moisture and VDH, lately Bevel). I much prefer also feeling of exfoliating on my skin from pure badgers.
What are your opinions about synthetics vs badgers? Thanks !

Here is the photo of SOTD

I like them both. My softest brush is a synthetic, and my stiffest brush is a synthetic. My badgers, all Simpsons, in Best and Super, fall in the middle. I do find that my synthetics give up the lather easier than my badgers. I go for one or the other, pretty randomly, except on Sundays, when I use my Chubby 2 Super.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I tend to use synthetics more often than my badgers (which are almost all Paladins). The thing you have to remember is that they are different from each other and your technique in using them will be different. Give it some time and get used to it and see if your opinion changes as you get better acquainted with it.

Bummer! Try using it a few more times. Start out with less water than you would your badger and build gradually. You may still favor your badgers at the end of it all, but you may at least build an appreciation for synths. I do tend to love soft brushes more, so the kind of synth you have there is very much a favorite of mine!

The Yaqi Tuxedo I have is certainly softer than badger and splays more, but that is kind of the enjoyable part. Keep using it and adjusting your technique and expectations a bit and you'll probably find it enjoyable.

To add to what @Spider and @GearNoir wrote above (which I agree with):

I find that badgers are better for face lathering than for bowl lathering. They hold more water and more lather than synthetics. Synthetics are better for bowl lathering. They require less water, hold onto less lather, and release the lather easier. I predominantly bowl lather, so I get better results from synthetics. I also prefer a softer brush that splays easier.

Reactions: Z-2
Yesterday I've got mail call - a Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic 24mm brush. Since the brush is nice itself, today I decided to try it. I never used synthetic brushes till now and was curious, reading so many comments and reviews how great are they.

My set-up was the brush, a barbon shaving cream (hungarian) and Merkur 34C+Gillette platinum blade.

I've got good lather, can't complain about that, but still prefer my cheap pure badger brush. I simply can't understand the fuss about synthetics. 2 things I realized from shave :
  1. the brush was too soft and sprayed lather all around when I create lather from cream (face lather)

2. the lather was good, but not that thick as from my badger (I use mostly cheap pure badger brushes like Shea moisture and VDH, lately Bevel). I much prefer also feeling of exfoliating on my skin from pure badgers.
What are your opinions about synthetics vs badgers? Thanks !

Here is the photo of SOTD
Synthetics are lather flickers, the only decent synthetic knots are the "black and white" ones from Maggard, like THIS They actually feel somewhat like a two band badger, firm with soft tips. Boar is the only thing I buy these days, they lather anything, they feel great on the face, and the price can't be beat. Shaving Brush Knots | Badger | Boar | Horse | Synthetic

Synths require less water starting out and slow introductions of additional water while lather otherwise, yes, they fling. Because they naturally don't hold on to water.
the only decent synthetic knots are the "black and white" ones from Maggard, like THIS They actually feel somewhat like a two band badger, firm with soft tips.
Fairly certain that’s the same knot he used just under different branding and handle.

Synths require less water starting out and slow introductions of additional water while lather otherwise, yes, they fling. Because they naturally don't hold on to water.

Fairly certain that’s the same knot he used just under different branding and handle.

"These knots are denser than our regular synthetic knots."

He said the brush was too soft, so was definitely not the same as the Maggard I linked to.

Thanks to all who responded (y)
I will try to do the tips from you tomorrow. I must to tell, that the brush was with those "defective handle" on aliexpress, which is actually defect on knob (deformity). Rather than having the standard bulb/hybrid shape, this batch have a shorter loft and a flat fan-like shape or tuft cut bad. Mine is even worse, some hairs stick out on one side, which is bit frustrating, but for the price, I can't complain.
I am not sure if this can affect the performance.

Try to get used to the way it performs for a while, you may need to get another brush you'll like better.

Update :
I have tried yesterday the brush again with less water (I squeeze it almost all water) and used Proraso white tub. What a difference !
After loading I had enough lather for 3 passes and even more :)

Thanks to all for suggestions and helpful advices !

Back