The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Yaqi Sentinel 1.5 SS heads. (WR2 clone).

Got both these heads about a week ago in both SB & OC configurations. First appearance on these razor heads is that the quality, look and finish are excellent. Mirror like polish finish on both with no machining marks anywhere except for under the top cap that is barely visible. Overall they are very well done and executed. Yes, they are copies of Wolfmans famous WR2 heads and there is a stir among shave enthusiasts that what Yaqi has done is simply unethical and is pretty much stealing from another manufacturers design. Unfortunately, Chinese manufacturera and manufacturing ethics are nonexistent and they can care less about intellectual property or design rights. Why did I buy them? They were cheap and let’s face the music here. A good majority of consumable goods that are purchased here in the States are pretty much being produced in China and other Asian markets. In other words, the argument is moot. Plus, I’m not willing to get on a waitlist for 18-24 months and then shell out 4-8 Benjamin’s when I have razors that equal Wolfman in performance, build and quality. Not saying that Wolfman products aren’t worth it, I’m just not willing to pay the premium that Wolfman commands in the market.

308452C5-E22E-42E3-876B-BE7600BA2350.jpeg

This is a copy and paste from another forum that I posted my first initial shave results and basic thoughts.

Took a quick hiatus from the SEptember Single Edge participation thread to get a couple of shaves in with the Yaqi Sentinel heads that I received recently. No long report nor an explanation of specific details as I’d like to get in at least 5-7 shaves in with each one before putting my thoughts down on how they perform. First, the Gillette Minora blade fit into the top cap precisely and the base plate sandwiched that blade once I snugged in the handle. I used an extra Stainless DScosmetics handle from a ZO that I had. Worked well enough but, it didn’t feel fully balanced in my hands and was a bit handle heavy. I still managed to get quite a good shave with 3 passes just to get a feel for the razor and getting familiar with the 1.5 SB variant. A really nice shave that was BBS but, I gave myself about half a dozen weepers mostly on the chin, stache corners and the sideburns on both sides. I chalk that up to getting in tune with the razor and just adjusting and finding the comfort & cutting zone. Rode a little the safety bar, top cap and also somewhere in the middle or neutral. In doing so, the irritation gremlins made their presence felt along some areas as the alum pass definitely proved after the shave was done that I got a little to hot and heavy in some spots. That’s me and I won’t fault the razor just on its first shave. Mia culpa, plain and simple.

End result was a smooth face and neck with a few red dots that were gone quickly and irritation that subsided within 20 minutes or so. Not a bad start and just need to dial it in the next couple of shaves. Looking forward to the shaves to come with the Yaqi Sentinel. Plus, next shaves I’ll be using a Ti handle option to help with weight/balance in my hands and probably use a few other Stainless ones just to fiddle with and explore.

Great shaves to all…

8644CB2A-4361-4325-872C-BF2793041102.jpeg

Shave two with the Sentinel and a much better shave for me with the Timeless Ti TRH6 Spiral handle. Felt much better balanced in hand and the weight was nearly perfect as it translates to ease of use and using the razor with natural or intuitive action. Still kept the Gillette Minora from the previous shave and nothing much to report. I did use the razor more towards the safety bar and it felt smooth and easy. Just two small weepers near the corners of the stache and a tiny bit of irritation near Sir Adam but, excellent everywhere else. This was a good shave and I’m enjoying dialing in this particular razor.

47D79B98-8E8D-4407-BA13-F8203E069E5F.jpeg

Back