The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Winter Coats

What kind of cold are we talking about here?

Outdoor clothing is a big a rabbit hole as wet shaving, only more expensive. Let me be your guide :)

-20 to -40C (-4F to -40F) with the windchill is what I would classify as "Gol-darn cold, dagnabbit!" winter weather. Above that is chilly, but not cold enough to have to bundle up for.

What kind of cold are we talking about here?

Outdoor clothing is a big a rabbit hole as wet shaving, only more expensive. Let me be your guide :)
160 kilometers south of the Canadian/US border. Cold. Central New York. Copious amounts of lake effect snow.

Last edited:
There are two sets of options

Do you want to layer?

Down or Synthetic?

Layering is best, but costs more, and isn't always practical if you're going to work, or restaurant etc.

Down works great, as long as it's not wet out. If it's well below freezing a lot, it's a great option, but again, costs more. But is also way more comfortable because it breathes.

Synthetics are great when the weather is hovering around zero, windy, sleet or rain won't affect their ability to keep you warm much. Here, it's what I mostly use, as we get a lot of wet days at about 32.5 °F

The con is it doesn't tend to breathe as well, so you can get sweaty. However there's a newish class of synthetic puffy called active insulation that is really great if you want breathability.

If the weather is really dicey the ultimate is a hard shell of some sort over fleece / active insulation.

There are two sets of options

Do you want to layer?

Down or Synthetic?

Layering is best, but costs more, and isn't always practical if you're going to work, or restaurant etc.

Down works great, as long as it's not wet out. If it's well below freezing a lot, it's a great option, but again, costs more. But is also way more comfortable because it breathes.

Synthetics are great when the weather is hovering around zero, windy, sleet or rain won't affect their ability to keep you warm much. Here, it's what I mostly use, as we get a lot of wet days at about 32.5 °F

The con is it doesn't tend to breathe as well, so you can get sweaty. However there's a newish class of synthetic puffy called active insulation that is really great if you want breathability.

If the weather is really dicey the ultimate is a hard shell of some sort over fleece / active insulation.
Thanks. They have down with waterproof shell, no?

Thanks. They have down with waterproof shell, no?
There are such things, but being waterproof also means, less breathable. Of course there are all sorts of membranes, some breathe better than others. So it sort of defeats one of the big pluses of down, and you may save a penny or two going with a synthetic lined waterproof.

If you really want to go whole hog, there is actually treated down that's basically as good as synthetics when wet.

Back