The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Winter Coats

August West

TSC Yoda
Veteran
For those of you who live in temperate climates and spend a bit of time outdoors in the winter months, what is your preferred coat? Layering up the old pea coat works for me as a public transportation commuter and walker. Thinking about one of those puffer coats though. Other climates feel free to chime in.

Discuss.

Our mornings have been in the high 30s/low 40s I think (is that temperate? Lol). With some physical activity, I’ve been mostly OK with my normal work T-shirt and a single layer fleece jacket. I tend to run hot though went working and hate feeling stifled by hot n clingy clothing.

Something like a generic version of this:
F4AC3545-3BD6-4596-BD23-96F0C17655A5.jpeg

I have a heavy pea coat that I wear when it gets low enough. I put a lighter version on my Christmas list, as my existing light jacket is both worn out and out of style. It's hard to beat the pea coat for effectiveness and versatility. I can wear it with my jeans, or a suit if needed.

8yzal5zvun141.jpg

It's been in the mid to upper 50s here in Louisiana and the most I have worn was pull over style fleece that I could wear for work.

The two days out of the year it actually gets cold enough here...my two favorite jackets are my black pea coat that I love and my puff duck down jacket. It's a lighter version so it won't roast me out when it is Louisiana version of cold. But it needs to be on the colder side for us for me to even entertain wearing it.

Columbia Coat. Last couple of years they started putting a reflective material in them so you get the warmth of a puffy coat honestly warmer. BUT you don't like a walking marshmallow, because they are thinner. We bought some for the kids too because they can wear them when in car seats. And kids really shouldn't wear BIG coats when in a car seat. It's unsafe.

A long, knee-length pea coat (like in the Jack Taylor series) would be a great in-betweener for me. I currently have a leather waist-coat, a lightly lined overcoat and then go full arctic with a knee length puffy-coat with a furry hood fringe. My NY Giants jacket is a pull-over and, while it's warm enough, but because it's a pull-over, my shirt ends up coming out of my pants.

I have a Duluth shirt-jac that I wear in the autumn and springtime. Fits over a zip up well and can be left unbuttoned if warm enough. My standard winter coat is a Carhartt full swing as I can easily layer beneath it to accommodate most winter scenarios but it's not overly bulky like down jackets of old. That said, I also have an LL Bean parka that I wear when the polar vortex dips down to Chicago as -35 to -40 is a little cold for the Carhartt.

Lands End parka style with hood here for the cold days... we get a lot of those in MI 🥶but for when it’s above 20 F or so, I’m ok with my Lands End Barn jacket 👍my wife says I look like an old guy with it on though 👴🏻

Back