The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Why is the IKON Shavecraft Tech feared?

I have been a huge fan of the IKON Shavecraft Tech since the first shave I had with it. It’s been touted as one of the most, if not the most aggressive/efficient de safety razor to date. Yesterday, I pulled it out of the shave cabinet since it had been months since I last used it and it reminded me just how effective this razor is. The 2 paragraphs below are from another forum where I put my thoughts on how it shaves and just cut and copied it and pasted it here.

Just to put in a few thoughts of my own. For the experienced shaver, who doesn't mind a little bit of blade feel and/or forward feeling blade, the IKON Shavecraft Tech as an efficient feeling shaver is a tough razor to beat (ok, a little bit of blade feel might be a bit of an understatement as there is substantial blade feel but, nothing to run and hide from). If the shave is performed with some time and patience it will reward one with perhaps one of the best close cut shaves that a man can give himself with a safety razor or any razor to be honest. You don't need The Barber of Seville skill to master it, just sound technique and not be in a rush. Good prep especially a slick, cushiony and well hydrated lather to give nice residual slickness and glide for the razor. The results will speak for themselves.

The only drawback (and a rather small one to be honest) that I have encountered with the Tech is with prolonged growth or when I haven't shaved in over 4 days as I encounter just a bit of the razor skipping or deflecting off of the stubble. And I attribute that to the blade not being locked in as solidly as say a Timeless or the PAA EVO SS where the blade is virtually fully supported and held vise like in the razor. Other than that caveat, for me, it's a must have razor for those that chase the baby with a more aggressive/efficient working razor. The razor head is made of some type of aluminum hybrid alloy that is both lightweight and durable. Tolerance on my particular head is very, very good with precise blade alignment and even blade exposure on both sides of the razor. Pairing it with your favorite handle whether it be Stainless, Titanium or Aluminum gives you optional ways of getting weight, balance and feel to ones personal taste. Want a heavier feeling razor? Slap on a stainless handle. Prefer a little less weight? Then Titanium can suit it up nicely. Aluminum will really make the Tech a true featherweight and although finding handles in aluminum aren’t plentiful, they can be found. Personally, I prefer more weight with my razors and in particular with the Tech as I let the weight really do most of the work in cutting through the whiskers. It has always been paired with a Stainless handle since day one. I will say that I definitely would not recommend this razor for a new upstart wet shaver who’s only got a few de shaves under his belt. But, with some experience and a little time, this is a superb 2 pass razor that has very, very few challengers in the (max efficiency) de safety razor world........

Good thoughts Gus!

Yea, don’t hear much about it’s use really. Pretty scary for the blade and cap to cast a sizable shadow on he base plate lol! Sure does look like a fine operator though!

Good thoughts Gus!

Yea, don’t hear much about it’s use really. Pretty scary for the blade and cap to cast a sizable shadow on he base plate lol! Sure does look like a fine operator though!

You know what, Chris? You bring up a very good point concerning the blade reveal and the very generous blade exposure that the Tech exhibits. But, truthfully you can still actually engage the guard in contact with the skin before feeling the blade. That is if one tends to be a steep angle shaver versus a shallow angled shaver. I’ll get some pic’s up soon to show this as it’s not as intimidating as you might think. Excellent point you brought up!

Nice review. Never tried it, but how would you compare it's efficiency to Timeless Bronze OC and also which one would bite first if attention were to slip?

The fact that you said it’s the most aggressive razor makes me fear it!

And why name it after the most mild Gillette?

A couple of pics of the blade reveal and exposure on the Tech. Though there isn’t really much of a blade gap, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to determining the aggressiveness/efficiency of a said razor, the true measure is the blade reveal & exposure. That’s what separates the IKON Tech from the rest of the field by a considerable margin. Unfortunately, it’s best trait is also it’s own worst simultaneously.

When IKON (Gregg, the founder) designed the Tech, he knew that the razor had to have a forward feeling blade in relation to the cap, guard span and shave plane without increasing gap size and reducing the top cap. He definitely succeeded in producing one of the most forward feeling razors today but, the trade of was the blade is not fully supported from blade edge to blade edge. Although the blade is held tight enough to keep it from moving, it suffers from blade flexing towards the ends and is felt more so if the whiskers are long, wirey and steel wool like. The blade can potentially feel like it’s “chattering” or “flexing” when under load as it’s trying to slice cleanly through the whiskers. At least that has been my experience with this particular razor. To clarify, I have only experienced that with 4-5 days or a weeks worth of growth. Under that, with say 2-3 days the razor is virtually flawless.

My pics are average at best but, if you look close enough at the far right of the razor head you can see the tailing edge of the blade just below the edge of the top cap. That Gents is positive blade reveal.

The following pics (I apologize in advance, everything was done with a cell phone camera) show as best as I could the blade in relation to the cap and guard. Though the blade is supported, the base where the blade rests could have been extended out perhaps a 64th to a 32nd of an inch and it would have significantly improved the rigidity of the razor head design to keep the blade from chattering/skipping on passes with longer growth.

As is, it’s still an amazingly efficient razor that will make short work of any growth quickly and efficiently. There are a couple that come close in overall shave feel and performance but, imho this razor stands alone on how it goes about reducing whiskers and shredding them. Surprisingly it does have a wide range of adjustment from shallow, neutral or steep angle shaving and I have noticed that for me it is a bit smoother going shallow while a bit more efficient/aggressive toward neutral/steeper angles. All 3 ways still give tremendously close shaves with irritation that is very low if any at all most of the time.

Like I stated in my opening post. If good technique is used along with some patience, the Tech can be one of the most satisfying shavers for an individual. Not the easiest razor to learn but, certainly not difficult neither. And I’ll say it again, it’s a must try.....

Geez! The safety bar barely looks like it’s doing anything. That’s a ton of reveal.

Good pics. The machining, or however they did it, looks really clean. Looks quite like the finish on the El Jefe.

Nice review Gus. It definitely looks like it would require your undivided attention. Good pictures too. I do not like a lot of blade feel so its probably not for me.
Happy shaves my friend

Nice Gus. That has a decent amount of positive blade exposure besides the blade reveal..........
Nice review Gus. It definitely looks like it would require your undivided attention. Good pictures too. I do not like a lot of blade feel so its probably not for me.
Happy shaves my friend

I’ll be honest, I didn’t think it would have been for me either. That reveal and exposure is really pronounced. It’s not like a straight where you can visually see the point of contact. With the Tech you rely on feel to get the angle that’s comfortable for you. And the weird thing is with all that exposure and blade feel, I get an excellent shave with little to no irritation. I didn’t think it would be easier on my skin but, it actually was as I just only have to perform 2 passes and maybe a touch up here and there. But, it has been DFS or better everytime with no discomfort to speak of. Sometimes the opposite does in fact prove to be true. Go figure....

Back