The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Why do you do what you do with your straights?

Based on my experience, even if you strop excessively after the shave, you still need to strop the next day. The edge never feels good otherwise.

As far as secondary components, I have read that flax linen does polish slightly and helps maintain an edge.

lot of the old-time barbers put the lather on the strop once in a while. I don't think this was an uncommon practice.

lot of the old-time barbers put the lather on the strop once in a while. I don't think this was an uncommon practice.

I do not doubt for a minute that this is true. I'm just not sure if it is something that I want to incorporate.

I believe the reason they lathered their strops, is the same reason others use neatsfoot oil or some other conditioner. The lather has tallow in it which helps to condition the strop. At least that is my understanding, and it has worked to that effect for me.
I could be completely wrong though. That has happened before haha.

Back