The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Who's up for a challenge?

uacowboy

"The Minuteman"
Concierge Emeritus
Hobbyist
I writing this post to see if anyone would be interested in a fun little challenge/experiment.

The idea may sound familiar to those who have watched tobacco related YouTube videos, specifically the mystery tobacco/cigar review videos.

For those that are unfamiliar a group of people(3 to 5) will have someone send them either some. Pipe tobacco or a cigar, but all identifying information has been removed. They then smoke the product and attempt to guess what it is.

My idea would be for us to try this with soaps/creams. I figured it should be easy enough to have the person choosing the product to make up some samples similar to the sample library/Passaround and they the participants could either record their videos and keep them private until a particular day and the all post at the same time so no one is overly influenced by the others, or it could be a recorded zoom call where everyone is shaving at the same time and discussing their thoughts in real time.

So what do you guys think? Anyone interested?

I can’t remember squat so I’d not enjoy racking my brain trying to think of what something was.

I’d find it fun to watch. But I also think you’d have to somehow know it’s a soap everyone has tried.

That would be fun but I'm not in because I had a accident whereby I lost part of my smell so I never seem to be able to pinpoint all of the ingredients. Makes for some odd preferences in soaps according to my friends ;). Strangely enough I can pick up even the slightest amount of menthol, not a blessing at all because I truly hate it:eek:

I can’t remember squat so I’d not enjoy racking my brain trying to think of what something was.

I’d find it fun to watch. But I also think you’d have to somehow know it’s a soap everyone has tried.
Thats part of the fun. Even if someone hasn't tried something they can pick out scent notes and make guesses based on what they have read of it from other people. Its expected to be rare that someone nails it.

So what do you guys think? Anyone interested?

I am familiar with the tobacco videos you are referring to, I think it might be fun. I don't think I will be very good at identifying the correct soap as I don't have a very refined pallet but I would give it a try, I'm in.

Lmao! I meant palate not pallet, I think the autocorrect got me again, lol. And I guess I should have used sense of smell, not palate, because I am really not planning on eating the soap.

We could build the challenge in a way that would/could allow more participants if there was a menu of possibilities (brands only?) and participants could try to narrow down which brand was which even if they couldn’t place scents. This assumes of course the game wasn’t intended to have each grouping sorted by brand already and the participants were tasked with identifying the scent of each unlabeled soap.

I like watching challenges and participating in some BUT I am sample challenged already. I am horrible at lathering samples so that is a challenge in an if itself for me.
Cool idea. I’d like to see it developed and executed someway.

You know me, I’m down for any challenge.

I think it’d be neat if everyone who is in passes samples to everyone, or something like that, so there’s more than just one sample to guess.

You know me, I’m down for any challenge.

I think it’d be neat if everyone who is in passes samples to everyone, or something like that, so there’s more than just one sample to guess.
Yeah, I figured we would do it in rounds would just need to keep track of who sent what for each round. Maybe have a signup order and that will be the order of the rounds.

Not in, because my nose is pretty unrefined, but I'm following with great interest. Great idea!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

We could build the challenge in a way that would/could allow more participants if there was a menu of possibilities (brands only?) and participants could try to narrow down which brand was which even if they couldn’t place scents. This assumes of course the game wasn’t intended to have each grouping sorted by brand already and the participants were tasked with identifying the scent of each unlabeled soap.

I like watching challenges and participating in some BUT I am sample challenged already. I am horrible at lathering samples so that is a challenge in an if itself for me.
Cool idea. I’d like to see it developed and executed someway.
I tend to have issues with samples too. I would probably move all of it to a bowl so I could get a better load from it that way.

I feel like have a list of possibilities might make things to obvious. I guess we could not have it for the first round or two and if people want it after that we could add it in.

I guess another aspect would be whether or not we'd want to do a scoring system for guesses. Something like a certain number of points for getting correct scent notes or the correct brand. And maybe bonus points if you nailed the brand and name of the soap. Or we could just keep it light and not score anything a just see who can get close.

I should also say I thought this would be fun while fully expecting to personally be terrible at it.

I think i will try and settle on some basic rules and post a signup thread later on tonight.

I should also say I thought this would be fun while fully expecting to personally be terrible at it.

I feel exactly the same way.

Dispite the fact that I have been wet shaving for around 8 years, I dont have a ton of experience with a variety of soaps. My first few years were very utilitarian and I only used a handful of different soaps, 1 razor, and 1 brush for the most part. The past few years I have been more adventurous and tried a much larger variety of soaps but I still dont think I will get any of the samples correct, but lets have fun with it anyway.

Last edited:
That sounds pretty fun!
I would give it a try, I'm in.

Anyone else? @NurseDave @fhalden @Snuff ..... You don't have to be good at it. The point is just to do something a little different and have some fun.

Again, sign ups are open.....

Back