The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Whiskey choice for a wedding gift.

aspirin54

Veteran
So I have a friend who is getting married in September. His soon to be wife and him are planning on drinking whiskey at the wedding instead of champagne. As a glass artists, I will be making them custom glasses for their wedding. But the other groomsmen and I wanted to get them a nice whiskey for their wedding. I know he picked up Green Spot for the wedding and was interested in trying Yellow Spot. Anyone ever had both of those? I'm still new to the whiskey game myself, so I haven't spent a lot of money on a bottle just yet, but he has been drinking whiskey for quite some time now. Other than Yellow Spot, any suggestions? Thanks!

How much are you looking to spend?

There's good whiskey at many price points. If he's super interested in the Yellow Spot, and it's not something he would splurge on for himself, I'd go with that. Otherwise, there's SO much to choose from.

Cost is definitely important to understand. But I would recommend a nice single malt scotch.

Yellow Spot and Green Spot are Soooooooo Goooooooood! If it's Irish Whisky, my favorite in that price range is Redbreast 12 or 15. Depending on how high you want to go. Redbreast single pot is like drinking liquid caramel! But it's booze.

If it's Bourbon, there are so many options that will be under budget. If the bride and groom are scotch people that's a whole other animal and price point.

Probably somewhere between $100-200 range. I don't want to have to get stuck eating too much if someone backs out on their share. Could be one bottle, or could be multiple.

Redbreast was one that I was considering, especially since Yellow Spot didn't seem to be a big jump price wise from Green Spot. Could almost get both a Yellow Spot and Redbreast. That said, he is definitely more of a whiskey drinker than a bourbon or scotch drinker.

For me personaly, Green spot is better than Yellow... It's a single pot Irish, so if you're going that road, try to find Johns Lane from Powers. Redbreast is also great choice. Or, you could go further (single malt Irish) and go for Knappogue!

Glenlivet 21 year Archive is an excellent single malt scotch. If you are going multiple bottles I'd recommend the Glenlivet 15 year. Can be found for a good price and is so good.

And saw the other post... Skip me lol I'm a scotch and bourbon fan. So my recommendations are probably off base for someone who prefers Irish whiskey

For me personaly, Green spot is better than Yellow... It's a single pot Irish, so if you're going that road, try to find Johns Lane from Powers. Redbreast is also great choice. Or, you could go further (single malt Irish) and go for Knappogue!

Dang Gagi! I'm Impressed! I haven't had Knappogue but man do I want to try!

Redbreast was one that I was considering, especially since Yellow Spot didn't seem to be a big jump price wise from Green Spot. Could almost get both a Yellow Spot and Redbreast. That said, he is definitely more of a whiskey drinker than a bourbon or scotch drinker.

I always have a bottle of Readbreast on hand. Usually the 12 year because it is easy to find. But at the price point you are looking at...yeah you can get two bottles and still be under budget. Good luck...and let us know what you end up with and if the bride and groom approve!

Well as stated above it somewhat depends on what kind of whiskey they like.

There are many in the $100 to $200 per bottle price range.

If you are looking for a special bottle of bourbon, Wild Turkey Master's Keep or Decades, Jim Beam Distiller’s Masterpiece, Jefferson's Reserve has several bottlings in that price range, Woodford Reserve's Master's Collection also has several good selections.

For single malt scotches, 1st of all are they a peat fan or do they prefer none peated? Find out and then just pick a bottle in that price range, kinda hard to go wrong really. You'd be in the 15 to 21 year old for most distillers.

If you could find it a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year old is an excellent Japanese whiskey.

So far as Irish Whiskey, I'm not that well versed, but the Jameson's 18 would be good also.

A bottle of Angel's Envy Rye (Good Luck!) or Whistle Pig 12 or 15 year old would be great rye choices.

Thanks to everyone that has helped out thus far, some great choices out there. I will probably pick up some of these for myself as it looks like a great selection of spirits. Thanks!

Back