The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Which Tech?

So I find this triangle slot Tech head on eBay a while back and the seller was also selling parts from ball tip handles where the cracks could not be stabilized. I remembered reading a while back about someone that used a carbon fiber tube to make a new handle and thought that might be something to think about and so I bought the parts and sent it off for replating since I wanted something different (and was too lazy to clean and polish the pieces like I usually do).

So as I am waiting for the parts to get back and prepping the carbon fiber tube in the mean time, I come across some of the bamboo I kept on the side from last year's Garden Stake Kamisori which I entered in the GD Mod Competition (and got nowhere with it). I then have some other thoughts and moved forward with the bamboo also. Well, the replated parts came back today:

I did final sizing on the handles and got two interesting combinations that I cannot decide which will be the final one. I am asking the esteemed members of the Cadre (including John) to voice their opinion on whether to go with a No Tech Tech:

or a High Tech Tech:

Wow Les, that replate is gorgeous!

I like them both, but the bamboo and gold plating really compliment each other well. I vote no tech Tech!

I love the modern look of the High Tech.

By the way, you should make this a poll.

I agree...you should make it a poll. But to answer the question...man they both look great. But I am going with the High Tech. That carbon fiber just looks like it belongs!

Well it’s a good thing your guys’ votes count as 1 each and mine count as 100...ya’ll are crazy! ?

I really like natural woods, but as much as it's going to disappoint Chris, I gotta say the high tech tech gets my vote. That contrast just really pops and the high gloss black with the clean fresh gold just looks stunning.

Both turned out beautiful. My preference is the High Tech Tech. The black and gold contrast each other exceptionally well. The texture/pattern in the carbon fiber is stunning in the handle.

As has been said they are both beautiful but............................................

Sorry Chris, I like the look of the High Tech Tech also. Just send the bamboo to Chris !!!

Okay, thank you all for your opinions in this. I made a decision (kind of).

First the LOOOOOOOONG story. I acquired the pieces with full intention of getting them replated and mounting them in the carbon fiber tube. I asked Chris at Back roads Gold what wuld be the cost of replating them. He originally quoted me the same price as his three piece razors, but then he told me that he repairs and replates ball end handles and he could just sell me one. I told him that I had this thing in mind of making a handle out of different material and he somehow interpreted that to mean something organic like wood and if that was so, he would charge me only for the head replate and do the handle parts for free. Being the cheap opportunist that I am, I told him I was thinking of bamboo, which he remembered from a previous conversation that I grow as a hobby. I even sent him a proof of concept pic, and he did the replate for the price of the head only.

While waiting for the parts to come back, I actually moved forward on the idea creating three bamboo handles, and finally deciding on the one I used. FOR THE RECORD - I preferred the bamboo handle too (thank you @GearNoir and @Cvargo), however two things made me decide to go with the High Tech Tech:

1. I showed Chris a pic of both and although he liked both, he liked the carbon fiber better, thus releasing me of my obligation
2. I noticed this on the bamboo handle this morning:

I know you folks will say "how is that different from a ball end handle, just get some epoxy and stabilize it"

Still, I did not want to start out needing to do a repair.

Don't worry though because I have a lot more bamboo and a few more ideas and so you have not seen the last of the bamboo handles.

Bamboo brush handle in the future? That would be cool!

Back