The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's your Occupation?

heysi

“All Ideas… No Action waka waka ”
Concierge
So we all know this forum is our clubhouse....our hang out....our sandlot (if you will).......great friends are made here and we all willingly share our shave dens.....our adult beverage choices....even which sumo wrestler we like.......but do we know what we do for a living? Sure I know that @BarberDave is in the male grooming industry (vaguely) and @NurseDave may (or may not) be involved in the healthcare field......but what do they REALLY do????

I've met a few of the great guys (and girls) that make up this incredible forum......but I don't really know what they do each and every day at work. Like for example: I know @AvocadoQueen is indeed a Queen....but does she open little hospitals for injured avocados? And does she knight truly special bowls of guacamole? Is her crown made of tortilla chips? Does @Cvargo really sit in his sweats and play with monopoly money while "sampling" brown liquor all day? Is @Spider currently inside the bomb bay of a B1 making "boom" sounds for his own amusement? Is @Majorrich a retired semi-professional bass player or a professional semi-retired bass owner?

I know I want to know......

So lets hear it.....tell the Cadre what you do for a living.

And lets really get to know each other.

I’ll go first:

I work as a Cad drafter for an electrical connector manufacturer. Our clients include all of the major rail companies, most major bus and truck companies and we also do some military and space connectors. I draw electrical connectors all day long. But I also test them for qualification and test assemble them so we can write the assembly instructions. I’m the calibration engineer and I maintain the digital records for the engineering department. And when I get a chance…..I get to play on the 3d printer (mostly toys and stuff). I’ve been a draftsman since 1989. I started as a pencil and paper guy but learned autocad in the mid 90’s. I’ve worked in the aerospace industry, the architectural industry and now the connector industry. I really like my job and I like when something I draw becomes an actual object.

I used to be a Telcom engineer but retired 20 years ago. Funny that my degree is in Marketing and that the tech was a hobby that became avocation. I worked on a regional campus of the Ohio State University where I made the telephones go and provided wires for the internet. That was when I wasn’t seeking remote corners of the campus to hide and goldbrick.

I kinda like your descriptions better.
In that case........

@NurseDave is a refreshment engineer...specializing in brown liquor of the Scottish variety. He used to be in internal medicine but he got tired of seeing what patients had placed in their internals so he moved to middle management where his ability to eat cobb salads and surf the internet slowed his advancement in that field. Bougie (as his friends call him) is expanding his skills in the charcuterie field...where he excels at olive arranging.

I've done lots of things.... Welding, seismic drilling, ironworker (yup those guys that walk on those little beams way up in the air), machinery moving and installation, industrial millwright, climbing and cutting trees, piping and tubing on big gas compressorsand expanders.... Worked at sawmills where I did everything from maintenance to running the head saw. (And losing a finger...)
A lot of traveling and seeing some really cool industries like paper mills, oil refineries, wax plants, partical board and mdf plants, a power plant...
Worked with/around and did a lot of things people would say are dangerous, but I got to see a lot of cool things and places. Kind of like an in person "how it's made" show.

Now I work at a wood dimension plant as a maintenance machinist.
The maintenance part includes things like greasing/pming machines, changing parts like bearings and fuses, installation and setup of new machines, electrical from 24 volt DC to 480 volt ac, troubleshooting, hydraulics, welding...
The machinist part has me doing things like making new shafts, boring turning and replacing bushings, making replacement parts for some of our machinery that we can't get parts for anymore, redesign and making parts to update older machines, making custom parts that we can't get or have been altered/adapted...
So most days are completely different for me. It usually doesn't get boring.
Plus, I get to work with my wife. She operates one of the rip saws.

I've done lots of things.... Welding, seismic drilling, ironworker (yup those guys that walk on those little beams way up in the air), machinery moving and installation, industrial millwright, climbing and cutting trees, piping and tubing on big gas compressorsand expanders.... Worked at sawmills where I did everything from maintenance to running the head saw.
Same

;)

Well I will answer the question.

My main profession is Principal Of Operation Strategy, at a major bank. I have worked for this bank for almost 18 years. I have held many positions most revolving around risk and compliance. I have managed large teams across the United States and am currently responsible for enforcing our compliance of a consent order that our bank is under. With my undergrad in Political Science and Law, and MBA in Business Administration I have really enjoyed my time at this company. Since the covid pandemic my work situation has changed, I have worked at home for the last 4.5 years. Before covid I used to travel pretty regularly around the United States. Now I don't travel as often and conduct most of my meetings in my office via zoom etc. With the pending sale of the portfolio I work on and also the merger of my company with another bank I will be laid off within the next 6 months, and my wife and I while nervous, I am also looking forward to a career change. 2025 will be an interesting year.

I am also a referee and officiate football and basketball. I serve on the Football referee association in the state of Utah. I really enjoy this aspect of my career and working on moving up to larger and bigger games at the higher levels. I have been doing this for now 10 years, and this is extremely fulfilling.

I have also recently launched a new business with my wife called Chad's Coffee. This is a new venture where we offer fresh roasted coffee. We have roasted our own coffee for about 7 years now, and recently decided that we wanted to try to offer our favorites via online sales. We currently offer these through an Etsy shop, but have had large success at local events selling our coffee, and right now about 90% + of our sales are local. This has launched fairly well considering and it's keeping us busy. Our long term goal is to actually open a local coffee shop.

I also hold the State Warden position in the Knights of Columbus a non-profit Catholic Men's Organization. I truly love my non-profit work, and thoroughly enjoy deepening my faith and serving the community.

I manage National Institutes for Health Predoctoral and Post Doctoral Training grants. So, I manage the compliance, payments to trainees, and reporting. Its a dull job, but its a living. To spice things up I channel my inner Lloyd Christmas and run a worm farm on the side as my small business.

To piggy back off of @Cvargo 's coffee business, I'm hoping we can collaborate in the near future with a truly ground breaking product. A very earthy tasting fusion of coffee and castings! It even rhymes!!!!
I THINK the better (and less gross) idea would be to have Chad send you coffee grounds from his future coffee shop to feed your worms. Nothing like caffinated worms to get the job done quicker.

Well, where to start. I retired... yes x 2

Currently in a retirement career, and own my own Barbershop, and am a Licensed Master Barber. However much to the vague reference from the author, I will explain After retiring and selling my Insurance Brokerage (more Later) I completed a primary and Master Barber course of Study in Barbering ( 3 yrs ) with the 1st year mostly anatomy and physiology, followed by two years of bookwork, learning the trade, and on the floor OJT so to speak. Once finished another 6 week Masters class. Post graduation worked in a shop for a few years then opened my own. Also I am a trainer and product representative for Roffler Hair Care Product, and one of only a handful of Certified Roffler Sculpture Kut* practicionesr and Trainers in the US (this is a haircutting method using a straight razor.

Previous to that I have done a number of things I retired from the Air Force as a ParaResueman, ( RET #1 ) although I started as a Boom Operation ( in air refueling ). Post Air Force I was a Firefighter, got injured and went into the Insurance Business, where I owned an American Family Agency, followed by becoming an Indendent Insurance Brokerage owner. Sold my agency at the right time and though I was going to completely reitre ( RET #2) ,

I have also had quick stints as a Semi Truck Driver, a Driver for National Park Tours through Arrow Stage Lines, a Tour Guide, and a Hotel Concierge.

Barbering was something I was alway facinated with since being a kid, with the smells, and the cameraderie of a old time shop. Thus what I emulate in own shop. Education wise. I have a degree in Business from the Community College of the Air Force, followed by a Crew Resource and Human Resource Degree from the Air Force Non-Commissioned Officers Academy, as well as a Degree, in Business Administration from the University of AZ.

I still Hold my valid Inurance Licence, Series 6 -63 Securities Licenses ( not active ), State Firefighting Certificates, Licensed Paramedic

Like Chad I am a 4th degree member of the Knights of Columbus, although not to active anymore

That is a very QuickS Synopsis, as boring as it is

I THINK the better (and less gross) idea would be to have Chad send you coffee grounds from his future coffee shop to feed your worms. Nothing like caffinated worms to get the job done quicker.
That's kinda like that Kopi Luwak coffee. Just going to be a bugger to collect the grounds again.

Answering the question posed...
I am an investment advisor, have been for the last 19 years. I started as a broker with one of the big wirehouses before starting my own office with another brokerage firm. 14 years ago I left the brokerage world for the fee based investment advisor world where I offer more comprehensive "wealth management". The last 7 years I have run my own firm (prior to that i had a partner). My business is part financial planning/advising and part investing. My bussiness is primarily focues on managing individual/family accounts but I also serve as advisor on a few corporate 401k plans. Like @BarberDave I also hold an insurance licence that allows me to sell annuities of all sorts, life insurance, health and casualty insurance. Althouhg it can be VERY lucrative, I REALLY don't like the insurance industry so my insurance business is limitted to serving the needs of existing clients.

My degree is in Animal Science/pre-vet. I spent many years working in veterinary medicine before transitioning to human medicine. I really have/had a passion for medicine but the work did not allow much room for family and to be honest it did not pay well.

My hobby turned side hussle is CBL Soaps. I think CBL Soaps has been around about 5 years now, the journey has been fun and at times it has provide some much appreciated extra income.

That's kinda like that Kopi Luwak coffee. Just going to be a bugger to collect the grounds again.
I've tried Kopi Luwak coffee, as excitign as it sound to drink coffee made from 'poop beans' the experience was underwhelming. I found the coffee to be very mild, almost like a tea. The same or similar taste can be achieved by making church basement coffee (coffee grounds boiled with a cracked whole egg)

Back