The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's your favorite discontinued shaving soap or cream?

For discontinued creams, I would go with Noxzema Lather Shave. When I started this hobby, it had already been discontinued, but a guy offered a NOS tube for sale and I bought it. It was fabulous. I will also include the entire line of Coates' creams, with the Tea Tree in particular being both a great performer and an utterly unique scent. Yes, I know you may still be able to nab some of those tiny travel tubes that the dude found in a warehouse, but it's not the same.

For discontinued soaps, hmmm, where to start? I miss the Saint Charles Shave soaps. I used them up quickly, but miss the unique scents, especially Refined. I have a couple of tins of Fairway, but will miss that one too when they're done. Though I still have 3/4 of a stick of Irisch Moos, I miss it since it was completely discontinued and that it was never offered as a puck. Now that they've reformulated Tabac too, well, that's even more loss to consider. I also miss La Toja Manantiales in the wooden bowl with cork lid. The biggest mistake I've made in shaving is 3017ing the one I had. I still think the La Toja stick is the best soap in production, but man, who can get excited about a stick?
I found a tube of Noxzema Lather Shave a couple of years ago at an antique shop and I can confirm it is TOP TIER! I have only used it a couple of times and save it for special shaves. Much like Russian Everest Shaving Cream, that stuff was amazing and unfortunately now unobtainium.

I found a tube of Noxzema Lather Shave a couple of years ago at an antique shop and I can confirm it is TOP TIER! I have only used it a couple of times and save it for special shaves. Much like Russian Everest Shaving Cream, that stuff was amazing and unfortunately now unobtainium.

The performance is great, but I really love the scent. It’s why I love Coates’ Tea Tree, they’re both so astringent, it’s like using acne face wash back in the ‘80s.

From the void .....

"Thank you for contacting us regarding Williams Mug Soap. We welcome all comments about our products.
We are sorry to inform you that it has been discontinued. We do not have an alternative or comparable product to recommend.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Sincerely,
John
Consumer Resources Consultant
Case# 775483"

I cannot speak to whether is is legit or not; it's just something I came across.

I figured I’d circle back to this topic because it seems lately that a lot of the shaving soaps that I really love seem to get discontinued. People should start calling the the “Soap Reaper” because stuff I like is getting discontinued on an eerily ambiguous basis.

This one left me speechless when this one got discontinued. Ariana & Evans Summer Fig.

Tangerine, Fig, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Oakmoss & Musk.

It was a very green, stemmy sorta take on fig, and I think that’s what killed it; the fact that it wasn’t particularly sweet for a fig scent. Thankfully I picked up the last full size tub of it before it sold out at Maggard. Once I finally run out, it will be missed.

b7f86daeba12b6298243ea3e42b2c999.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back